[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Zelda so popular? I didn't played it as a child,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6
File: Zelda_Logo.svg.png (161 KB, 2000x816) Image search: [Google]
Zelda_Logo.svg.png
161 KB, 2000x816
Why is Zelda so popular? I didn't played it as a child, so I played Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess a while ago.

I didn't see anything special about the game, neither story, gameplay or characters are outstanding, or even remarkable if you played more than one other RPG. Is it just nostalgia and memes in a casual circlejerk?
>>
File: 1458026797850.jpg (25 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
1458026797850.jpg
25 KB, 612x380
you played ocarina of time to late
>>
>RPG
>LOZ

pick one and one only
Seems you're coming in with wrong expectations
>>
>>331192695
>Didn't played

Aw... It's a shame too. Your bait was actually above /v/'s usual quality, although that doesn't say much.
>>
>>331192814
They weren't outstanding games for any genre.
>>
no your opinions are just shit.
>>
You need to get one thing, anon. Nobody shares the same taste. What many people liked might be something you don't like. And that's fine. Nobody will ever call you out for that. But you should not imply that something you didn't like is somewhat overhyped or not good in general.

That way, you'll live a better life.
>>
fags and women like it
betas get off on it
>>
Post your favourite OST from the series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sgBjj9q3ts
>>
Not OP but is it too late to play kingdom hearts now or does it hold up?
>>
>>331192695
Play windwaker instead
>>
>>331192695
my 3 year old loves it
>>
>>331192954
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG6fWatK_k0
>>
>>331192954
>>331193008
My favorite is always gonna be the classic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u4NNOwh2lI

Honorable mentions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy0aEj85ifY
>>
>Why is Zelda so popular?
It isn't. It WAS back when it first started, but then it careened off into some stupid bullshit design standard.

It used to be THE dungeon crawling console action RPG, a position now held by games such as Souls and Elder Scrolls. Exploring maze-like dungeons, challenging combat, using a variety of equipment for both fighting and utility. The first two Zelda games in the series were exceptionally freeform, you could do many things in any order you wished.

Then it turned into some "puzzle" series where combat is a joke, dungeons are just a series of locked rooms you have to use each dungeon's gimmick on to solve the puzzles, and the majority of your equipment are just for said puzzle gimmicks. It is burdened by a ton of lame characters, nonstop talking (especially tutorializing chat) and extremely dull menial tasks. You have to jump through a bunch of hoops before you can get around to saving the world in a linear fashion.
>>
>>331192860
Yeah it does slightly above average for each genre it is in, which equates to a pretty good game

It doesn't have to be outstanding to be above average
>>
>Not appreciating hands down the most immersive game ever created
>Preemptively expecting the game to hand itself to you like some generic JRPG instead of having your curiosity piqued and wanting to explore the possibilities the game offers freely
>Not understanding how all the components are carefully crafted to create a unified experience that has not been surpassed by anything and which the flaws it does have barely put a dent into
>>
>>331192954
no idea but I'm gonna go with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQbcgoIDVSA
>>
>>331193271
Are you seriously basing the entirety of the OoT+ games' value on the dungeons? Nigga most people have fond memories of shit like exploring Kakariko Village or Lake Hylia.

Also, even in Ocarina of Time you could deal damage to enemies using different equipment so I don't know what the fuck you're on about.
>>
>>331192695
cause bitches ain't nothing but hoes and tricks
>>
>>331192695
It's not that popular in japan too.
>>
>>331193478
There are a number of NES fans that have a hateboner for the 3D games. It's completely fair to love the NES titles for what they are and what they do better than the other games, but these people typically massively undersell the depth of the N64 games.
>>
>>331192954
Posting the absolute GOAT Zelda theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o8j0uRrzBI

Also really like this too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMv_knbjijg
>>
>>331193815
>Eclipse of the World
>not Eclipse of the Sun

one job.
>>
>>331192695
Play a link to the past, it's by far the best Zelda. If you don't like that game then Zelda isn't your cup of tea.

As for OOT, it's underwhelming as an actual game in terms of content, story, or challenge, but made a lot of technical leaps in its day and set the standard for 3rd person action/adventure games. Virtually every 3rd person game today copies elements of OOT.
>>
>>331193271
>It used to be THE dungeon crawling console action RPG, a position now held by games such as Souls and Elder Scrolls.

But the dungeons of the elder scrolls are very forgettable and Souls' level design is really uneven. The beloved Demon's Souls has Bolétaria and tower of latria going for it, the rest is pretty bland actually. Dark Souls is better in term of level design.

In the zelda series there's at least a different gameplay mechanic in each dungeon, making them memorable. The puzzles aren't really hard, but they are part of what makes a zelda.

Why would you want so much combat in it? The combat was always bland and the hardest games of the series were the ones with the most simplistic combat.

I just can't understand the persistant whining about the combat.
>>
File: 1454787059688.jpg (37 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1454787059688.jpg
37 KB, 640x480
>>331193815
>>331193472
>>331193169
>>331193008
fucking peasants and their plebian taste...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6nJysVtCrM
>>
>>331193271
>The first two Zelda games in the series were exceptionally freeform, you could do many things in any order you wished.

People tend to forget that to get through the dungeon 6 you need the flute, for the 7th you need the lantern and for the 4th one you need the boat. Zelda was never "play it in any order that you want". And Zelda 2 was the same.
>>
>>331194450
Zelda 2 wasn't freeform at all. You always needed some item or spell to advance.
>>
>>331194254
>I just can't understand the persistant whining about the combat.

Because the combat system the 3D games have could easily equal or surpass any other a 3D action game, it just chooses not to. It's pretty much the one thing that holds the series back from having a game that basically does everything better than everything else comparable to it. Not to mention that challenging combat just adds so much to the exploration in its own right, as it means that not only is there the possibility of encountering enemies that you're not supposed to be able to beat yet, but that all the stuff you collect from quests has the potential to meaningfully aid you.
>>
>>331193478
No, that's not what he said. If you came up playing the NES titles, you sort of wanted to see a 3D room where you have to kill 10 darknuts that could kill you in 5 hits. They carry shields, move quickly, and take 3-4 hits to kill. Oh, and this comes in the 5th of 9 dungeons.

Instead you get 3 stalfos that are ridiculously easy that comes in the 5th of 5 real dungeons. There is no real challenge to the game at all. The young link portion of the game is essentially a prolonged tutorial.

You also wanted to see a vast 3D world that you can freeform explore. Instead we got a linear game that chouffers you around, and a desolate big field in the middle because Miyamoto was in love with horseback riding.

And maybe, just maybe, it would be nice if you actually had to use items in more than one dungeon or blocke overworld place. The original game does more with the whistle than OoT does with any piece of gear you find.
>>
>>331194450
>People tend to forget that to get through the dungeon 6 you need the flute, for the 7th you need the lantern and for the 4th one you need the boat.

No they don't. Nobody claims that it's completely free-form, and few that it would be a good thing if it was. It's praised because it has a fantastic balance of freedom and progressively surpassable restrictions, which is a quality that marks out the best games in the series.
>>
File: halloween.jpg (59 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
halloween.jpg
59 KB, 400x600
>I didn't see anything special about the game, neither story, gameplay or characters are outstanding, or even remarkable if you played more than one other RPG. Is it just nostalgia and memes in a casual circlejerk?

You know the movie Halloween?

Zelda is kind of like that.
>>
>>331194609
>Instead we got a linear game that chouffers you around, and a desolate big field in the middle because Miyamoto was in love with horseback riding.
>The original game does more with the whistle than OoT does with any piece of gear you find.

That is utter, utter bullshit and you're talking out of your ass. OoT and the other 3D games have tons of creative, multiple uses for their items that aren't obvious.
>>
>>331194736
Where the fuck are all the games that supposedly surpass it then? Nothing else offers the same level of intricate, meaningful real time world interaction that isn't driven by generic sandbox bullshit that results in everything being practically interchangeable.
>>
>>331194609
>Whistle
>Any use other than opening Level 7, killing Diodigger, and finding a couple of staircases

The recorder is TP-tier useless.
>>
>>331192960
answer pls
>>
>>331194946
>Where the fuck are all the games that supposedly surpass it then?

Nothing really surpassed Zelda, and nothing really surpassed Halloween.

The concepts just became oversaturated and stale.
>>
>>331195141
Everything got remastered so yeah it hold up
>>
>>331192695
>I didn't see anything special about the game, neither story, gameplay or characters are outstanding, or even remarkable if you played more than one other RPG
>Is it just nostalgia and memes in a casual circle jerk?

Well then tell us about it op. Don't just say it. Explain. What about the story or characters or gameplay did you not find exceptional about? What RPGs have you played that would compare and exceed the series? Also, LOZ is not an RPG. It's an action-adventure.
>>
It's got the deepest most diverse gameplay and deepest lore.

Then there's the quality musical composition which is what drive mainstream goers wild as indicated by the sellout rates of the orchestra concerts.

Finally, before Twilight Princess, the series had a tenacity for setting the new bar on visuals as well.

>Zelda II
>ALttP's intro
>OoT
>MM
>TWW

Even TP would have been a game-changer if Nintendo had released it the year it was finished (2005). It is the best looking game of its gen. Go ahead show me one Xbox or PC game WITHOUT patches that comes close to matching Twilight Princess.
>>
>>331192960
The gameplay holds up but as an adult it's fucking awkward to play
>>
>>331196102
so like any mario
>>
>>331196102
Awkward how?
>>
>>331196937
Awkward like this shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7hcLSJWwH0
But it's to be expected with the kid movies mixed in
>>
>>331192695
3d Zelda is not different from the typical AAA fare.
2d Zelda was actually decently challenging at times and a lot more action based and less boring generic story.
>>
>>331197135
I've never played KH and that does not seem so bad compared to Nomura's designs and OC heartless stories.
>>
>>331196019
Off the top of my head. Half Life 2 which came out in 2004
>>
>>331196019
Resident Evil 4, Black and more importantly FEAR came out on 2005
>>
>>331192695

Nostalgia from being around during the major changes in technology.
>>
>>331192695
contrarian: the thread
>>
>>331192695
> I didn't played it as a child, so I played Ocarina of Time

This is where you fucked up. You skipped the classic 2D games which defined the series, and made it popular.
>>
>>331193685
In retrospect, the N64 games were heavily flawed when compared to the original 2D ones. This is coming from someone whose first game was MM.
>>
>>331194580
>Zelda 2 wasn't freeform at all
No one said it was you retard. Even Elder Scrolls games aren't completely freeform. What he's saying is that you were given a degree of freedom that you aren't in Aonuma Zelda, because the puzzles and narrative demands linearity.
>>
>>331192695
You shouldn't be posting in this website until 2018 newfag.
>>
>>331198676
In what way was OoT flawed that isn't navi's insistence on interrupting gameplay to give hints, or the incessant menu opening in the water temple? The latter of which is also applicable to the 2D games up to that point as far as equipping and unequipping goes.

And MM builds off of OoT to the point that anything that was wrong was essentially fixed.
>>
>>331192695
OoT has just aged a little unfavourably but at the time it was amazing.
>>
>>331192695
Name one series that plays similarly to Zelda but is better. You fucking can't and you know it.
>>
>>331192954
>no le memestones
>>
OP the problem is that you just don't like Zelda.
Also you should have played Alttp or Zelda I first, then OoT.
Alttp is known as the definitive 2-D zelda, great music, dungeon design, gameplay, not much story and just an awesome experience of saving the land from bad guy ganon.

It's more like, if you didn't loved it at first, then probably isn't for you, if you tried different zeldas and still didn't liked it then just quit it.
>>
File: Aryll.png (193 KB, 290x484) Image search: [Google]
Aryll.png
193 KB, 290x484
OOOOOYYYYYYY
>>
HOW DO I PLAY WITH A PRO CONTROLLER IN TWILIGHT PRINCESS HD BUT HAVE THE AUDIO GO THROUGH HEADPHONES PLUGGED INTO THE GAMEPAD?!
I don't want to use the gamepad because I can literally never replace it. Fuck this system and its stupid gimmick
>>
>>331192695
American and people parroting the Americans.
>>
>>331204679
>fuck the only innovative game system left that isn't an underpowered gaming pc
>>
>>331205063
I love nintendo's gimmicks, goes good with my gaming pc, but I'm too autistic to use the gamepad because I can never get a new one if it gets worn out/breaks
>>
Zelda is pretty much a meme game at this point loved by gamergurls

Ocarina of Time and Majora's introduced several cool mechanics and somehow revolutionized gameplay

Now it's just for hipsters and nostalgia fags
>>
Because the original LoZ came out in a time where games didn't hold your hand
>>
>>331194609
>The original game does more with the whistle than OoT does with any piece of gear you find.
There's only one game where that's the case, and it's Twilight Princess. And it gets shat on constantly for it.
>>
>>331205281
>just for hipsters
>Last six games have combined sales of 23.97 million
>>
>>331192984
>3 year old
>playing video games
Is this what parenting has come to?
>>
>>331205679
>counting the last six games
>>
>>331205813
yes?
>>
>>331206189
>counting ports, spin.offs, etc

ok, kill yourself
>>
>>331206332
I didn't. Combined sales for the original releases of TFH, ALBW, SS, SP, PH and TP are 23.97 million.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.