[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post your top 5 games from the past 5 years. Rate, hate, appreciate.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 1024x576
Post your top 5 games from the past 5 years.

Rate, hate, appreciate.

1. The Last of Us (unmatched storytelling/mocap/acting to date, good campaign, fun multi).
2. Monster Hunter 4U (it just works).
3. Bloodbourne (see above)
4. Sound Shapes
5. Towerfall Ascension (4 player multi = unlimited fun).
>>
File: 1458294058141.jpg (618 KB, 1201x884) Image search: [Google]
1458294058141.jpg
618 KB, 1201x884
>Bloodbourne
>bourne
>>
>unmatched storytelling
lol
>>
Alien isolation
Serious sam 3
Metro LL
EDF 2025
Devil Daggers
>>
>>331192131
Most games don't even bother with the performances. This is why a game like, say, Dragon Age has inferior storytelling to TLOU, even with a script 200x the length and intricate lore.
>>
>>331192441
Even discounting CRPGs (which you should, because they are shit at storytelling, quality > quantity) there are still a ton of games that have better storytelling than Last of Us.
>>
>>331192738
Please list any.
>>
>>331192738
There are honestly way too many to list.

The fact that RPG's from the SNES era can be considered 'better' stories than TLOU says a lot about it.
>>
>>331191951
what's so good about this game anyway, should I pay the 10$ admission price for a used copy and try it out?
>>
>>331191951
>TLoU
kek
>Towerfall
you're my nigga anyway OP
>>
>>331193049

Which is your favorite SNES-era RPG if you had to judge them based on their stories?
>>
Dark Souls. Played Demon's Souls too late so mp was pretty much dead. DS2 and BB failed to grasp me like DS did. It's a meme at this point but BB just feels off to me, and I disliked how Gothic horror went cosmic horror, even though I love Lovecraft stuff.

Destiny because of coop and gameplay . It's the first shooter I've played extensively. Just a shame the original ideas got canned. Done with it now though, and I don't think the updates will bring me back. Waiting for news on 2.

Currently play Salt and sanctuary and I'm loving the everloving shit out of it. At first I disregarded it because of the art but I fell in love with it after playing for just a bit. As a Castlevania and Souls fan this feels like the perfect mix (I think a lot of people will disagree with me on this though) to me and I can only hope Bloodstained will be this good.

The witcher 3, I even like the combat. It just clicks for me.

Journey I guess, short but sweet.

I fail to come up with a fifth game. Even Journey is a stretch. It's been since Twilight Princess until Souls and now S&S that a game has truly been able to grasp me. And as an idort that's pretty sad I have to say. GameCube had the most titles I liked, since then it's maybe two or three games per console, barring xbox one which is gathering dust since I got it.
>>
>>331193049
I don't think we're on the same page. How a story unfolds is one thing, like discovering events in Metroid Prime via scans and build up, deciphering images in Journey, time travel in Ocarina of Time, betrayal in Bioshock, these are twists that are usually set up to be that "plot twist." This is exciting storytelling, and when put in a game with solid mechanics and characters, its a great game.

TLOU is different. There are many of those moments and yet they're believable. There's a connection to the characters because it's somewhat grounded in reality. The gameplay is stressful. The justification of an all male hunter opposition is explained in lore. It's an emotional wreck, and it fits perfectly in the world it created.

There's a very different method and care used in TLOU that sets it apart. The fact that you can't choose how the story unfolds, that there's only forward momentum and no backtracking...it's a lot to explain.

>The fact that RPG's from the SNES era can be considered 'better' stories than TLOU says a lot about it.

I'm sorry but no SNES RPG has voice/acting, mocap, and polish like TLOU. The stories created in those games are much like books vs their film adaptation. You create the story and fill in the blanks mentally. It's completely different when a story is shown to you, which is where I feel TLOU is unmatched still. A game like Bioshock Infinite has horrendous storytelling and came out in the same time frame as TLOU. The disparity in that department is so great, yet they were both created by leading industry studios.

Apologies for typing all that. I'm on a coffee high.
>>
>>331193131
Yes.

I recommend headphones and a quiet environment with no distractions. Play it on hard not normal.
>>
mgsv
soma
last of us
dark souls
aylium isolation
>>
The last five years? In no particular order:

Bloodborne - I spent a ton of hours on this fucking game. Hell, I might even do another playthrough. This game certainly made up for Dark Souls II, which was a bit of a disappointment.

The Last of Us - This game exceeded all my expectations when I bought it. Good story, grounded mode is fun as fuck, and I occassionally play multiplayer with friends. For the life of me, I don't understand why people on /v/ try so hard to hate on this game.

Lightning Returns - Great combat and boss fights, but everything else is shit.

Yakuza 5 - The fans waited three years for this fucking game to be localized. I spent a lot of time with it.

Witcher 3 - I know a lot of kids on this board love to shitpost about this game, but everything about it clicked with me. Everything from graphics, gameplay, characters, and storytelling. I plan to do a NG+ run once Blood and Wine comes out. I own the season pass.
>>
>>331193131
story and gameplay are meshed really well together

that's its greatest success, as far as I'm concerned

the only shit part is in the beginning, where it's teaching you tutorial shit. I almost got discouraged playing any further because the early combat situations were so godawfully boring. It picks up after you pick up Ellie
>>
>>331191951
Distant Worlds Universe
Satellite Reign
Project Nimbus
Wolfenstein New Order
Styx: Master of Shadows
>>
File: Bloodborne1.png (2 MB, 708x2163) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne1.png
2 MB, 708x2163
These are from 2000 onwards so bite me:

Dark Souls
Bloodborne
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Fallout: New Vegas
Bayonetta
>>
>>331191951
1- Witcher 3 (never in my life have I seen a 200 hour game that had so much quality, and even had the atmosphere the first Witcher game had, most favourite game of all time for me).

2- Witcher 2 (even though I think it is the weakest of the bitchers, still a damn good game.)

3- Deus Ex Human Revolution, a damn good reboot for Deus Ex with damn good music.

4- Last of Us, a meme game but with quality.

5- Bastion+Transistor, that music and presentation is godlike-tier.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.