[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best single player RTS game of the past 15 years?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: Age_ii_feudal_age_celts[1].jpg (72 KB, 577x433) Image search: [Google]
Age_ii_feudal_age_celts[1].jpg
72 KB, 577x433
What is the best single player RTS game of the past 15 years? I haven't played an RTS since playing WC3 a few hours and not liking it due to the hero units. Since I've spent 11 million hours in dota I could probably deal with that now

I gave up on the genre after Red Alert 2 but it seems like it'd be kind of comfy to come back and see what I missed...
>>
Age of Mythology
>>
SC2 campaign is good if you ignore how stupid the story is
thats pretty much it
ib4 people mention relic games, they're all awful
>>
Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns is 15 years and 4 days old by the looks of it. Maybe a bit older than requested but I'll go with that one regardless. The story/setting aren't particularly noteworthy but I don't think they're offensive, and I like the campaign missions and most importantly, the general style of game.
>>
cool thanks for the suggestions guys
>>
File: 1334305045276.png (32 KB, 477x236) Image search: [Google]
1334305045276.png
32 KB, 477x236
>>331173048
>talking shit about muh relic
>like SC2
hey faggot, there is a reason why relicĀ“s games were popular
actual good vidya
>>
>>331173572
starcraft sucks but it's the only RTS game where the campaign missions have been anything but braindead and the user interface and level of polish is higher than any other by a mile
>>
>>331173993
how about no
homeworld had pretty decent interface and the missions were great
the dow series before retribution was also pretty darn good
i tried starcraft and frankly speaking didt like it that much but did it anyway for the sake of completion

let me spell it out for you, blizzard at this point is shit and relic is gone
>>
>>331172868

If you like RA2 you'd probably get some fun outta this.
>>
I enjoyed grey goo's campaign, the super weapons were fun to play with and the production values for the CGI cutscenes (of which there were a lot) were surprisingly high quality.

also has a 10/10 soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw4WAhyi1uY

you know say what you will for 2015 in gaming but it was a great year for video game OSTs
>>
Why dont blizzard make a WC4?

It's pretty much a guaranteed seller.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (67 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
67 KB, 1280x720
halol wars
>>
>>331176047

>It's pretty much a guaranteed seller.

Debatable. The fall of SC2 has taught them that there is far more money in CCGs and MOBAs than anything else. I doubt they would have ever made expansions for SC2 if they hadn't already promised them years ago.
>>
I still reckon AoE II is the best
>>
>>331176264
>The fall of SC2
fall?
what do you mean
>>
>>331176428

SC2's player population tanked, along with its competitive scene. It isn't remotely in Blizzard's best interests to make another RTS when Hearthstone and HotS are doing so well by comparison.
>>
>>331176601
its competitive scene is dead? But what happened to all the koreans who spent 12+ hours a day playing SC1, did they all move to LoL or join the army or something?
>>
>>331176686
They still play sc1, dota and league. Some ... play sc2.
>>
>>331172868
BFME 1 AND 2
>>
>>331176686
Yes. Money is dried up for sc2.
>>
>>331176743
I must say I'm very surprised to hear this, any reason for why it happened?
>>
>>331176905
Well, blizzard was not very nice to pro sc1 players. They more or less banned sc1 tourney for a time. As a result a lot of the sc1 players pisses off and said well we don't like sc2 and moved to other games. It's not been great.

Not to mention, wc3 community was heavy carried by custom games, which was also bad on sc2. The custom games on sc2 are great now, but originally the lobby system was non existent, and as a result the content flow was minimal, killing the casual players from the game, who moved to league and dota 2.
>>
>>331176905
Noones watching it. Noones playing it. Blizz failed to build sc2 for a modern landscape. Lotv makes the game actively hostile to people just playing it for fun.

When I say noone, I mean a really small amount compared to the big boys.
>>
>>331176905

The game is boring from a competitive perspective and Koreans lack any sort of personality.
>>
>>331172868
Total War: Rome, though it's split between turn-based strategy and real-time tactics, the battling is cool as shit.
>>
>>331172868
rise of nations
>>
Cossacks.
>>
Dota 2
>>
>>331177124
>>331177163
that's a shame, I was never very big into RTS games (atleast playing them online) but I would sometimes watch pro sc1 matches just for entertainment.

Never actually played SC2 because I was too mad about splitting the game into 3 parts and hearing how they fucked the story, which was my favorite thing about SC1.

I just remember when it came out a whole lot of threads of people talking about how they were too scared to hit the find match button.
>>
>>331177381
Which one? I got 3 on gog
>>
>>331174535
mah nigga. that game was great.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.