[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Games that focus on story over gameplay are shit! If a game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: Gone_Home.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Gone_Home.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>Games that focus on story over gameplay are shit! If a game doesn't have actual gameplay than it's just an interactive movie!

I mean, the camera is the only major thing separating film from plays. So by this logic, is the cinematography the most important element in a movie?

Look, I'm all for great gameplay, but I'm not gonna say a game is shit just because it experiments with interactivity in non-conventional ways.
>>
Make the story something worth experiencing first
>>
File: riven box art_1.png (291 KB, 399x458) Image search: [Google]
riven box art_1.png
291 KB, 399x458
>>331169369
/thread
>>
>>331169221
Your uncle interacted with you in non-conventional ways and look where that lead you.
>>
>>331169221
>experiments with interactivity in non-conventional ways.

It doesn't. It just tells the the story over the top of the player, there's no fucking pretext, everything is fucking just read out to you.

Games should use gameplay elements to tell a story.
>>
>>331169221
No, if a game wants to tell a story that's fine, just don't present it like anything it isn't. Order 1866 or whatever presented itself like a game when it was just a shit movie. Fuck that.

I love good stories but make it worthwhile. Gone Home is generic and boring. Like how many fucking people thought they were in for exciting horror and left the game going "Huh."
>>
Story/narrative/characters have to be interesting first and foremost in story-driven games, because if it fails on that front, the inadequacies of the game become even more apparent.

The Last of Us, as we all know, isn't that spectacular of a game, but it gets away with a lot more because it's got terrific voice acting, atmosphere, music and well-written characters.
>>
File: CbdBJ5WWAAAEoMa.jpg (47 KB, 600x513) Image search: [Google]
CbdBJ5WWAAAEoMa.jpg
47 KB, 600x513
>>331169221
yeah but the fact is that even the average Aquaman comic has better writing than the best video game story ever.
What pases for a good story in games is laughable.
>>
>>331169221
>So by this logic, is the cinematography the most important element in a movie?

Yes, because otherwise it's a recording of a stage play. If the camera never moves and there are no edits then it's not much of a movie. It's possible to make a movie with no dialogue or characters, to tell a story entirely with creative cinematography. If you're not going to utilize the medium properly, why use it at all?
>>
File: i8EgB2zE1fv0B.gif (984 KB, 500x230) Image search: [Google]
i8EgB2zE1fv0B.gif
984 KB, 500x230
>>331170223
WELP, IT WAS A NICE THREAD WHILE IT LASTED
>>
>>331169221
gone home isnt a game though
it has no gameplay
>>
File: gone home.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
gone home.webm
3 MB, 640x480
web m related
>>
>>331170679
Tfw the game is 10 times as good as a Doom mod
>>
>>331170590
It was okay
>>
>>331169221
huh I played this today, I will never understand how all those game review sites got on the hype train and said this was a good game, the house is designed poorly and I couldnt get over how absurd the idea of locking doors inside your house that need a key.

The no vcr's I could understand because of story but its absolutely retarded that there were no mirrors.
how fucking unrealistic can you get that theres a pink haired girl in ROTC and going to boot camp in the 90's, as if any military or reserves would allow fucking pink hair.

this game was so unrealistic all over the place and tries way too hard to appeal to nostalgia.

There's so many little problems with this game that end up being one big problem.
>>
>>331171662
it was an SJW push
>>
>>331169221
>experiments with interactivity in non-conventional ways.
how does Gone Home do this?

oh wait, Gone Home doesn't "experiment with interactivity" it's just a walking simulator.
>>
>>331171774
couldn't they have pushed something actually good?
the first thing that infuriated me was the way the storm sound effect coming from the front door didnt work properly, the thing that brought this to light even more was the fact that it was raining outside my window at the same time, if you turn around you lose sound in headphones all the way, if these devs actually understood how sound and ears worked they would have made the sound fade out to maybe 10% so it would actually sound realistic.

the game seemed so very half assed.
>>
>>331172003
>>couldn't they have pushed something actually good?
like what an actual video game?
SJWs don't play those so no it wouldnt have worked
>>
>>331170223
This. If I'm in the mood for a story, I'll read a story that's written by an expert writer. That's what literature is for. Video games are about interacting with a visual setting.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.