[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a correct decision?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8
File: n64vspsx.png (3 MB, 940x3023) Image search: [Google]
n64vspsx.png
3 MB, 940x3023
Is there a correct decision?
>>
Both
>>
>>331165067
This, this was when being idort was actually worth it.
>>
>>331165067
>being an idort in gen 5
>>
Who the fuck didnt own both?
>>
>>331165383
plebs
though I owned significantly more games for my n64
>>
PS1 > Saturn > N64
>>
>>331165067

/thread
>>
>>331165383
I didn't until after the PS2 came out.
>>
Sega Saturn
>>
File: 1458002553131.jpg (18 KB, 497x258) Image search: [Google]
1458002553131.jpg
18 KB, 497x258
>>331165691
>implying anyone owned a saturn
>>
>>331165383

>had ps
>went to my buddies house after school for 4 player n64 shenanigans

best of both worlds. ps didn't have shit for mp.
>>
>>331164994

>disney shit
>disney shit
>disney shit
>dreamworks trash
>disney shit
>disney shit
>oh btw we also have a good game, ogre battle 64

vs

>mature,intellectual,progressive videogames

seemes like there is only one choice
>>
>>331165903
I had a feeling someone was gonna say something like this
PS didn't have anything like Mario or Zelda at the time so thats why everything there feels more "original." If you look later into sony's lifetime (even on the psone itself, it starts to even out a bit. Crash had three PSX games, remember. And look at him now.
>>
>>331164994
PS1 had the better single player experiences, N64 had the better multiplayer experiences.
>>
>>331164994
While I had both and enjoyed both, if you made me choose one or the other I'd go PSX in an instant. It just had more great games.

Suikoden II
Xenogears
Front Mission 3
Azure Dreams
Omega Boost
SaGa Frontier 2
>>
File: untitled.jpg (521 KB, 958x3023) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
521 KB, 958x3023
Warning I'm not a big fan of that awkward transition to 3D and thought most early 3D games were shit.

Overall the 5th was shit.
>>
both nigga
>>
>>331167492
I liked early 3D because it was much more experimental. Video games haven't been as varied and new ever since.
>>
Being an idort in that gen was God-tier, both consoles had some amazing exclusives.

Most of all I miss Squaresoft from that era, they released a masterpiece every year, they were fucking madmen. Last gen they struggled to release one fucking good game.
>>
>>331167492
Anon, these are some shamefully shitty opinions, I gotta say.
>>
File: 1448494678385.png (127 KB, 336x480) Image search: [Google]
1448494678385.png
127 KB, 336x480
>>331165902
>having friends
>caring about multiplayer
>>
>>331167492
I respect your shitty opinion.
>>
>>331167492
dont listen to them, pretty based taste
only thing i disagree with is mgs1 which i think is kinda overrated imo

5th gen had good stuff, not pictured like Vagrant Story, Harvest Moon, Valkyrie Profile, Resi 2
>>
Both are great fucking consoles, if I had to pick one though I'd probably go with PS1 because Mega Man is my favorite franchise and all the N64 had was an inferior port of Mega Man Legends 1.
PS1 had my two favorite games, Mega Man Legends 2 and Final Fantasy VII, nothing on the N64 breaks my top 10 but I still think it's a great console with a lot of unforgettable classics on it, OoT and Banjo Kazooie never get old for me.
>>
>>331167864
that's what sets nintendo succesful persons and sony losers apart
>>
>>331165902
It wasn't that bad. I had fun with Future Cop LAPD, Twisted Metal Small Brawl/spoiler], Crash Bash, Crash Team Racing, Worms Armageddon, Syphon Filter 2. Bishi Bashi Special, fucking Micro Maniacs, the laughally bad ESPN X-Games stuff like 3XTREME, Tekken 3, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, the list goes on.
>>
>>331167671
I think the PS2/GCN era was far more successful with it's experimentation. There are way more fun and competent games from that era than there were in the 5th gen.

6th gen games also had all those niceties we take for granted now that the 5th gen kept struggling to get right.
3D games that didn't expect you to control everything with a d-pad
camera systems that actually work
an entire analog stick dedicated to the camera
framerates above 20
character models with more than 100 polygons
>>
>>331165862
'Murrifat detected.
>>
>>331167492
>Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie both "meh"

I didn't even read past that. You are quite the fag.
>>
>>331165383
Non spoiled shits
>>
>>331168374
I actually was debating putting it as blue for that exact reason, but I did think back again at my first time playing through it and I do remember enjoying the ride and it being held up as the gold standard by retards isn't exactly going to change my opinion on that.
>>
>>331168710
I didn't like Spyro either.

Collectathons always felt like a complete waste of time and I didn't enjoy them at all.
>>
>>331167492
i was trying to roll with it until
>decent racer
fuck you nigga CTR is the greatest racer of all time
>>
>>331168992
I didn't like Spyro either, but I loved M64 and BK.
I mean well, I didn't hate Spyro, but it didn't hold my attention when I played it again a few months ago.
>>
>>331169172
Kart Racers aren't my thing. I don't enjoy Mario Kart either.

I'd take F-Zero/Wipeout over any kart racer.
>>
>>331164994

The fundamental problem with platform wars is nintendo fanboyism. If you like nintendo, you probably had an n64. If you don't, there's not much of a reason to own one. The same has been true for most nintendo platforms. The only ones I had were gameboys back when they didn't have serious competition. I've always been sony/pc.
>>
>>331168654
6th gen has obvious technical improvements, but there were far less risks taken with the games.
5th gen forced developers to make successful 3D game formulas or fade into obscurity and die, while in 6th gen developers could follow in the footsteps of games that were already successful and get by.

I also feel like people in general get way too hung up on stupid shit with old games. I personally have no trouble playing a game like Resident Evil or the original System Shock, but so many people can't seem to get past the controls, and I just don't get it.
>>
>>331169278
>but I loved M64 and BK
Why? Just love the sound of picking up one more useless item? You just can't get enough running around that empty stage looking for that one thing you missed that's invisible because of the camera angle?

I'm kinda glad that whole genre died.
>>
>>331168864
my issue was the amount of gimmicks in that game
>look at soldiers asses, snake!!
>change the controller port, snake!
>errrr now use the banana on the doorlock, snake!!
le so funny but not very fun to play IMO
>>
>>331169579
>but there were far less risks taken with the games.
I don't agree at all, we saw tons and tons of experimentation and new IP in the 6th and it wasn't just adapting this beloved 2D game into a shitty 3D game that vaguely resembled the old one. We actually got games worth playing for a change.

5th gen was like this awkward first step into 3D and nearly everything 3D game made during this generation was shit, and the lessons learned were put into practice in the 6th which lead to that massive flood of excellent unique titles that sent the PS2 over the moon. Gamecube kinda flownded in sales but I don't believe it deserved it because I think the Gamecube had an great selection of games as well.
>>
File: 1413826978378.jpg (86 KB, 680x989) Image search: [Google]
1413826978378.jpg
86 KB, 680x989
>>331165903
>>
>>331169623
Super Mario 64 isn't nearly as much of a collectathon as Banjo-Kazooie. It's kinda dumb to lump them together like that and complain about not being able to find that last collectible.
>>
>>331168850
Consoles were cheap back then, everyone I knew had both, only the smelly poor kid with shitty hygiene had one or the other.
>>
>>331164994
Software wise---Nope
Hardware wise--Playstation hands down. Cheaper games, better controller in most situations, stronger 3rd party support, CD player (which mattered back then) and better 2D support for games like SotN, Fire Pro Wrestling imports, early platformers like OG Rayman and Klona, and Metal Slug.
>>
>>331170138
It happens in both, and the majority of both games is spent running around grabbing all the shiny shit in sight. I never felt engaged by either of the games or really any of those collectathon games and the fact that they're mostly dead now kinda gives me satisfaction that all those years I've always been right about them.
>>
>>331169623
>You just can't get enough running around that empty stage looking for that one thing you missed that's invisible because of the camera angle?
That literally never happens in the game. The stages are fun, controlling the characters is fun. The games are fun.
>>
File: 61og0bO.jpg (64 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
61og0bO.jpg
64 KB, 1280x720
>>331164994
>Crash Bandicoot anything
>Spyro anything
>good
I say this as someone who grew up with those games. They are trash.
>>
>>331171334
>The stages are fun, controlling the characters is fun. The games are fun.
Tell yourself that all you want, I'll take the fact the genre is dead as proof you're wrong.
>>
>>331164994
The left is higher quality, but the right is more varied
>>
>>331171563
The genre being dead means nothing. Making a good collect-a-thon is hard, for reasons you mentioned sure. Rare and Nintendo happened to do it right with BK and Mario 64. But many other devs tried it with a slew of other characters and it eventually fell out of favor. Its not like the genre is really dead anyway. Mario Galaxy still roughly follows the same formula that M64 laid out back in 95. And we are seeing a revival of the genre with Yooka-Laylee, Psychonauts 2, Terraway Unfolded and A Hat in Time.
>>
>>331170002
>we saw tons and tons of experimentation and new IP in the 6th
Of course many risks were taken in 6th gen. I'm just saying not as many were taken as in 5th gen, and everything's gotten more and more safe and samey over time.

>nearly everything 3D game made during this generation was shit
I can't agree in the slightest.
Early 3D games like Rayman 2, Super Mario 64, Ape Escape, NiGHTS, Crash Team Racing, Diddy Kong Racing, F-Zero X, Rollcage Stage II, Hydro Thunder, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Silent Hill, Resident Evil 2, Star Fox 64, Sin and Punishment, Omega Boost, Vagrant Story, Virtual-On, Custom Robo, MechWarrior 2, Star Wars: TIE Fighter, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Ultima Underworld, System Shock, Tekken 3, Bushido Blade, Tenchu 2, Metal Gear Solid, Doom, Blood, Quake, Half-Life, etc. are still unique and well done or among the best of their respective genre.
>>
File: impacto.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
impacto.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>331164994
There is only one correct answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC-9bP7s2qk
>>
>>331171657
Left is most of the games worth playing on the system.
Right is but a small sample of what the system has to offer.
>>
>>331172347
With the exceptions of Doom, Quake and Half Life and a handful of the other PC games, mostly because once we got mouse look sorted shooters have mostly stayed the same.

Well, maybe not Doom unless you don't count ZDoom and the other engines that added mouse look, playing DOS doom straight off your old floppies is still kinda shit.

All those games are shitty and didn't play well and were greatly improved upon in the 6th gen.

Just look at Omega Boost, game plays like shit, looks like shit, controls like shit, full of on rails sections, but it's also one of the better action game of the 5th gen but compare it to ZoE2, night and fucking day doesn't even come close.

GX is better than X in everyway, Silent Hill 2 was better than Silent Hill, the Resident Evil Remake was leaps and bounds better than the playstation version. You can go down the whole fucking list. Camera issues, terrible controls, poorly thought out mechanics, every game suffers from something they ironed out in the 6th.

That whole generation of 3D games was shit, awkward and clumsy, and it wasn't until the 6th gen and the very tail end of the 5th until we started seeing good high quality 3D games. That's when you finally got the innovation, people figured controlling 3D games with a d-pad was terrible and static camera were generally shit, and flipping the camera and having the direction the character is facing change so suddenly you have to hold back to run forward was terrible, also you finally had hardware that could do 3D justice.
>>
>>331173454
>All those games are shitty and didn't play well
>Just look at Omega Boost, game plays like shit, looks like shit, controls like shit
No dude, not even remotely.

>but compare it to ZoE2, night and fucking day doesn't even come close.
They aren't even the same genre. What is this comparison? Are you retarded?

>GX is better than X in everyway
I prefer GX, but it isn't better in every way, especially not with the Expansion Kit that let you build tracks.

>Silent Hill 2 was better than Silent Hill
Arguable.

>the Resident Evil Remake was leaps and bounds better than the playstation version
There's no remake of 2.
>>
>>331174175
>No dude, not even remotely.
There is no saving you then, you're nostalgia is too real

>They aren't even the same genre.
They're both third person action mecha games I don't see how you'd think they're a different genere.

Omega boost was just the best the PSX could do and it pales in comparison.

>but it isn't better in every way, especially not with the Expansion Kit that let you build tracks.
Well the expansion kit 1. never came out here and 2. wasn't part of the base game and required an entire console add-on and 3 The track editor is buggy and honestly not even worth it, way too many of the track sections have major clipping issues that will cause you to fall through solid portions of the map. If you'd actually used it you'd know this.

GX is the better game in every way. more tracks, better tracks, more creative environments, better music, more machines, custom racers built from custom parts.

>There's no remake of 2.
If there were, made in the 6th gen, by the the same team that did REmake it too would be better. REmake is the best classic RE anyway.
>>
>>331164994
>Is there a correct decision?
Yes, PC Master Race.

5th gen consoles were absolute fucking shit.
>PSX and Saturn libraries filled to the brim with cliche anime RPGs that often recycled the same shitty gimmicks
>3D platformers were absolute shit. Sure, Mario 64 was cool, but when everyone started to rip it off they only copied the boring collecting and not the kick-ass obstacle courses and the entire genre ended up being trash for the next decade
>Goldeneye and PD were shit compared to Quake
>All the classic series spawned godawful 3D incarnations that were quickly forgotten
>Everything was as easy as modern games while still frustrating and tedious
>Controllers were trash. N64 was retarded and had a low-quality stick. PSX and Saturn didn't have sticks (PSX got one way too late)
>Low poly a shit compared to timeless sprite art
>Everyone blew their budget on pointless cutscenes that usually had little to do with the actual story or game
>>
>>331174780
>you're nostalgia is too real
It's nothing to do with nostalgia. I didn't play the vast majority of those games I listed as a kid, but in the 2010s.

>They're third person action
So is Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.
So is Ace Combat.
So is God Hand.
So is Super Monkey Ball.
This is so broad as to be almost completely worthless as a descriptor.

>mecha games
Mecha is a theme. It doesn't tell you anything about gameplay. Or do you think Carnage Heart, Metal Storm, Steel Battalion, and Metal Wolf Chaos are all basically the same thing?

>I don't see how you'd think they're a different genere
One is a shooter with fully 3D movement and camera where waves of enemies thrown at you. It feels a bit like a rail shooter, though it isn't on rails aside from 2 levels, and is a simple arcade-like "just kill everything" sort of game.
The other is a character action game where you're always floating, have level design, and are given a wide variety of objectives and scenarios.
How in the name of fuck do you actually think they're comparable?
Explain it to me.

>more tracks, better tracks, more creative environments, better music, more machines, custom racers built from custom parts
I notice none of this has anything whatsoever to do with ironing out issues caused by early 3D, and since that's your main contention here >>331173454 these all strike me as rather worthless observations, as they do fuck all to prove your point.
>>
>>331176504
I like how you had to pull them apart in your hamfisted attempted to make a point.

They're both 3D action games in the third person camera focusing around mecha combat while flying around in low gravity.

Then you go off and list a games with a third person camera like a retard before you give me random games that may or may not have a third person camera and vary from first person mech simulation to 2D sidescroller with mechs.

You're equivocating because you know I'm right and you have no valid points to refute me.

>The other is a character action game
Oh no, it's not, there no style meter, combos, or anything that would resemble character action, ZoE has about as much in common with spectacle fighters as it does ace combat, but then again you're desperate and grasping at straws again.

>I notice none of this has anything whatsoever to do with ironing out issues caused by early 3D
Sure it does, one of the N64's major drawback was the decision to stick with cartridges, which helped load times but severely limited it's games, which hit F-Zero X like a ton of bricks.

If you want to have a conversation at least try not to make such a fool of yourself while doing it.
>>
>>331177552
>I like how you had to pull them apart in your hamfisted attempted to make a point.
I separated the vague stuff pertaining to gameplay, from featuring mecha, which has no bearing on gameplay.
If this really upsets you so deeply, then fine.
Redo.

>They're both third person action mecha games
So in your mind Armored Core: For Answer, MechAssault, Zone of the Enders, and Virtual-On are all the same shit?
Really, nigger?

>there no style meter, combos
Neither does Shinobi on the PS2. Is it not a character action game to you?
In what world are those supposed to be key, defining characteristics of the genre rather than things like mechanics or gameplay focus? Shmups and rhythm games have that shit, for fuck's sake.

>ZoE has about as much in common with spectacle fighters as it does ace combat
LOL

>one of the N64's major drawback was the decision to stick with cartridges
Yet another thing that has LITERALLY NOTHING to do with early 3D.
Good job, mate.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.