[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nameless Soldier RolePlaying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
File: 09.jpg (83 KB, 627x500) Image search: [Google]
09.jpg
83 KB, 627x500
Are there any games where you straight up play a generic soldier in an army? Not someone who turns out to be the hero of time or other power fantasies, just a straight soldier following orders into battle.

Power fantasy general I guess. Pic kind of related?
>>
>>331110118
Arma
>>
You can be both sole ruler of Calradia, respected Lord of Swadia or Rhodoks and other factions or a generic soldier in the Kings army in any faction with the Freelancer mod for Warband.

It's a very versatile game.
>>
>>331111797
This.
You're basically asking to play Warband, which gives you the option of doing exactly what you want.

If you want to take it a step further, you can offer your sword in vassalage to the King - so you still follow orders, but are now leading your own men as well.

In essence, play Warband.
>>
>>331110118
Call of Duty 2: Big Red One
>>
>>331111797
This. Even if you do decide to become a king and unify Calradia, it's just because you're a good leader, not because you're some chosen one or prophesied king. There are prophesies, but they are said about every single ruler in game. You can do it because of hard work, not because of preordained bs. For just that same reason, you can just as easily not become a king or not conqer Calradia. The game doesn't care.
>>
>>331110118
Vanilla lets you fight as a mercenary for a faction but only if you bring some troops of your own, what automatically makes you more than a generic soldier.
>>
>>331111987
I honestly can't think of any other games that let you have this much freedom, not even any RPG's because you are always the chosen one or the destined to become super powerful one.

In Warband you can just be a generic fucking soldier with the Freelancer mod, I haven't tried it yet but I wonder how that works, do you rank up eventually and command troops of your own like the regular game or just remain a a common grunt throughout the game?

With how bad the AI usually is I can imagine that you are going to be doing a lot of the heroic stuff still even as a common grunt. But I'd like to play both ways when I try, once as a grunt throughout the entire game and then again as a grunt that rises to the ranks due to your actions, but maybe if you get killed in battle you respawn as another grunt from the army and lose all that renown and have to start again.

I didn't play it with the freelancer mod or the other mod that lets you be a grunt in the Kings armies so I don't know how it works.

I'm wondering if you can do that with the LOTR mod for Warband though, I haven't found the option, I just want to be a generic grunt in Gondor or Rohan's armies, do I need to install the Freelander mod ontop of TLD for that?

I should be asking /mbg/ I guess
>>
>>331112559
all the freelancer info i can find is from 2012 or 2014 and saying original files are lost etc etc, anyone have up to date sources?
>>
>>331112176
Call of Duty, Battlefield, Medal of Honor.... you can't really roleplay in those as a nameless soldier though. They don't leave much room for roleplaying by design.
>>
>>331112697
there's a mod called Floris which adds that and a whole lot of other cool features
>>
>>331112559
>do you rank up eventually
Yeap. Each faction has their own tree of troop ranks, and mods with new factions tend to have their own as well.
>command troops of your own
Only if you become a vassal, or a mercenary.
> just remain a a common grunt throughout the game
You actually could do this. It might get boring after a while, but you could easily do this and watch the realm change over time.

And you probably won't find it as easily as you will mods that already have it included.
Mods that do have it (ones I've played, at least)
1257 AD
A Clash of Kings
Floris (+A New Dawn)
>>
>>331112697
Holy shit I hope not, I got really late into modding Warband since I played NW and vanilla MP for 2 years nonstop and didnt touch the singleplayer all that much, but now I want to with mods, like TLD which I think I would find more fun as a common infantry or cavalryman because I cannot lead an Army for shit and end up getting BTFO by ork raiding parties and I'm left shirtless and alone in the Black Marshes.

I just wish the vanilla game and the TLD mod let you be a common grunt instead of requiring mods for it, hopefully Bannerlord will be that way.
>>
>>331112559
if you enlist, you get paid regular wages and have the chance to upgrade after a certain time
you get provided equipment and everything befitting of your rank and class
you also have the option to request leave time (to sell and buy shit, mostly), or desert completely.

only issue is, you're at the complete mercy of your lord's actions
so if he gets caught by that 1000 man army - you're likely gonna get fucked
>>
>>331113002
TLD is a weird case, considering it came from the original Mount and Blade.
Luckily, people do often modify mods to their own liking - but some mods are really difficult to alter, or there's just not enough interest to do so.
>>
>>331112971
From what I read it seems to be the Freelancer mod that adds that option to play as a soldier in the army but I'm not sure if it will work with other mods.

What I want to do is try to make myself just common Gondor or Rohan grunt in The Last Days LOTR mod, because you can't do that unfortunately in the mod itself.
>>
>>331113143
Sounds like it would be fun for awhile honestly.

I don't fare much better when I try to raise a force on my own anyways. Playing as a common grunt would be an interesting experience and change of pace.
>>
File: 1457808020217 (1).jpg (273 KB, 707x1000) Image search: [Google]
1457808020217 (1).jpg
273 KB, 707x1000
>>331110118
Mercenary mod! I think it's called that anyway. This feature is also in 1257; essentially you sign up for a Lord's army, and you're one of many soldiers. It's fucking great, despite being fucking brutal.
>>
Star wars Battlefront 1 and 2 i guess. XL battles are gigantic, so you feel the scale of the war.
>>
>>331113417
I'll have to try it at least, Warband is much easier to mod than most games thankfully.

I really hope the option to be a common soldier is added in Bannerlord vanilla game so modders don't have to work to include and refine it in every mod that they make.
>>
>>331110118

This is literally 'I'm a child that thinks I know what fun is but don't: the idea'

Do you not understand how fucking boring it'd be to 'take orders' and just follow them in a warzone, especially in the mount and blade era?
>>
File: 1446071576162.jpg (457 KB, 3000x1987) Image search: [Google]
1446071576162.jpg
457 KB, 3000x1987
>>331113909
Yet several mods do it for M&B. I mean, people like the idea and concept. It doesn't play out as well as you think but it's pretty great to have. I like signing up for a lord's army and earning my living fighting there.

No need to get upset m'sir.
>>
>>331113909
have you played freelancer
it's pretty fun
either way not being the special snowflake is much more entertaining
>>
Role playing in video games?
Fucking gay as shit.
People who play fallout literally come up with back stories for their characters
That's some reddit-tier-cringe right there
>>
>>331113909
Then why do people play as musket soldier regiments in mount and blade? they take orders in teamspeak and they love it.
>>
File: smuggot.png (166 KB, 307x318) Image search: [Google]
smuggot.png
166 KB, 307x318
>>331113909
>if I don't like it no one else should either!
>>
>>331114531
I've actually found NW more fun if you don't join a regiment and just play bot survival or siege with pubs, more chaotic, more unpreditable and more freedom than line battles.

Napoleonic RP server is a good place for something more historical and predictable but also more boring if its the same map over and over. Joining a reg just sounds like a huge chore.

And yet I want to play Warband as just a common soldier grunt in the Army of a faction and have the battles and world unfold around me without my input.
>>
>>331114531
>>
>>331116104
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA

And thats why I don't ever join no shitty reg.

Fucking autist admins, pubby servers are more fun than that tryhard shit
>>
>>331116905
I like it

If you don't that's fine though
>>
>>331110118
Try running with rifles.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (225 KB, 1920x970) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
225 KB, 1920x970
>>331117487
forgot image.
>>
>>331117341
Winged helmets are pure sex
>>
>>331114436
Thanks for your contribution cock nozzle
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.