[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's have us a metroidvania thread /v/ I just finished
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
File: download (1).jpg (8 KB, 206x245) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
8 KB, 206x245
Let's have us a metroidvania thread /v/
I just finished Guacamelee and would love some recommendations
>>
shovel knight is a good one
>>
Axiom Verge and Rogue legacy are pretty neat.

There's one Pixel made but I can't remember the name. Kero Blaster, I think?
>>
File: capsule_467x181.jpg (50 KB, 467x181) Image search: [Google]
capsule_467x181.jpg
50 KB, 467x181
This one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK0wkXNcuK4
>>
File: Shadowman.jpg (53 KB, 412x500) Image search: [Google]
Shadowman.jpg
53 KB, 412x500
If you want a horror themed Metroidvania, see pic related.
>>
File: xbone metroidvanias.png (575 KB, 941x397) Image search: [Google]
xbone metroidvanias.png
575 KB, 941x397
I have just enough on my xbone account for one of these. Which is better?
>>
>>331110389
Cave Story.
>>
>>331110568
Save your money
>>
Salt and Sanctuary is neat so far. Mix of the Souls games and 2D Metroidvania exploration.

I've been thinking about playing Circle of the Moon since I never have. Worth it?
>>
Snailiad is free2play online.
How were the last two Castlevanias?
>>
>>331110568
Never played Shadow Complex so I won't weigh in on which to get. But keep in mind Shantae is extremely simple and short. Decent enough game but not a lot of depth and almost no replay value.
>>
>>331110678
The card system is fun
>>
>>331109915
How did Metroidvania even come about? SotN just copied Super Metroid, so shouldn't the name be "Metroid-type" or "Metroid-esque"
>>
>>331110568
Shadow Complex is great, but I felt that the art was kinda boring, or lifeless. The game design itself and the progression is top notch though.
>>
What made Symphony of the Night so damn good?

Was it the soundtrack? The animation? The variety of weapons and collectables? Level design?

What makes it stand out as the definitive metroid-vania?
>>
>>331110973
because SotN perfected the genre
>>
>>331111154
How? By adding an unfinished menu screen?
>>
>>331110443
It's good. Boss doors need visual indicators. Also, it's infuriating that you can lock yourself out of the double jump without knowing it. The dev is an asshole and the bits that make him an asshole are conscious design decisions. It's a really good game.

Kyron, you are a cunt.
>>
File: odallus.png (17 KB, 424x240) Image search: [Google]
odallus.png
17 KB, 424x240
I've been playing Odallus recently.

It's really quite good. It has a stronger "classic Castlevania" vibe to it while still having power-ups, exploration and secrets. It's also on sale on GOG for $ 4.99 right now.
>>
Salt and Sanctuary just came out. It's a mix between Dark Souls and a Metroidvania, and it's surprisingly good.
>>
>>331110973
Nobody called the games "Metroidvanias" until years later. By that point, Castlevania games of that style were fairly prolific.
>>
>>331110973
The name became popular years after Castlevania made the shift to Metroid-esque gameplay and a lot of the copycats more closely resembled the Castlevania games than Metroid.
>>
File: Shantae_wally.png (838 KB, 6835x6900) Image search: [Google]
Shantae_wally.png
838 KB, 6835x6900
>>331110568
Shadow Complex is more Metroidvania.
Shantae is just a very very very fun and well designed platformer. Its also best played in 3DS, because the 3D effect is well setup
All the character talking heads have depth, all of them, its delicious
>>
>>331110443
It's fun until you try to S-rank everything.
>>
Is Environmental Station Alpha any good
>>
>>331110510
lmao this came in a humble bundle I bought and I always thought it was some point and click game
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.