[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>game where you play as the bad guy *tips fedora*
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8
>game where you play as the bad guy

*tips fedora*
>>
>>331058140
There should be more of these games.
Evil Genius and Dungeon Keeper are classics.
>>
>>331058140
I still can't stop seeing tranny in the title.
>>
>instead of expanding on the world of PoE after laying the groundwork in the first game lets just do another fucking new IP that will have the same problems with lore and setting as PoE did
>>
>>331058360
Got dick on the mind, anon?
>>
It's a cool concept that hasn't been done all that much in videogames, maybe because some people don't like playing as assholes.

People in general feel that they should connect to the main character, that doesn't need to be the case all the time.
>>
>>331058692
You can have a new setting without bombarding the player with exposition.
>>
>>331058946
Obsidian is incapable of doing that.
>>
>>331058140
>I have to be a good guy

>>>/facebook/
>>
>>331059034
Maybe they should get better writers then
>>
>>331058692
they started working on this while they were still working on PoE, that's why this is coming out so soon

PoE 2 is still most likely coming out later
>>
>>331058140
Shut up, you can still end up being the good guy if you want anyway.
>>
As with most things, it's more about the execution than the base idea.

Could be great. Could be shit. We'll see.
>>
>>331058692
Is it a confirmed new setting? It could be a secret prequel or sequel set thousands of years before or after the events of Pillars of Eternity.
>>
>>331059114
They literally put a programmer in charge of lead writing for Pillars.

And they rolled with the FIRST DRAFT of his script with literally no revisions or thought put into it.

I wish I was making that up.

>inb4 source
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10231

Everything wrong with Pillars is in that interview.
>>
>>331058692
A separate team within Obsidian is working on this.
They started working on it in February 2014, which is when Pillars was still early in development.
>>
>>331059814
He said he minored in English and he wrote and designed the best quest in New Vegas.
>>
>>331060223
>Vault 11
>best anything
Stop.
>>
>>331060265
>Beyond the Beef
>bad
stop
>>
File: 1383278176016.gif (3 MB, 779x434) Image search: [Google]
1383278176016.gif
3 MB, 779x434
I was hoping for another Dungeon Keeper or Evil Genius clone, instead it's another boring isometric rpg with recycled Path of Exile and Wasteland 2 assets.
>>
>>331058920
More games should cater to outliers.
>>
>>331060341
Oh yeah, forgot about that.
I didn't say it's bad so stop putting words in my mouth, faggot.

Anyhow writing 2 quests doesn't mean he deserves of being put up as LEAD WRITER.

He flat out himself admits he can't write prose.
He admits the story falls apart near end of Act 2.
He admits the protagonist has 0 incentive to go after the antagonist.
He admits the game is a clusterfuck of broken ideas and that LITERALLY NOBODY ON THE TEAM was enthusiastic about it because the script they picked was just shitty.
>>
>>331060471
>Dungeon Keeper or Evil Genius

Absolute garbage, fuck right off pleb.
>>
>>331060471
>Path of Exile and Wasteland 2
Anon are you alright? Path of Exile is a Diablo clone made by different developer.
Wasteland 2 is also a different game by a different developer.
If you said recycled Shillers of Equality assets though then you'd be correct, because that's the game that Obshitian made.
>>
I kind of hope they make the morality of your character sort of similar to how you were in papers please. You're a bureaucrat who does his job and keeps shit in order, not an over the top cackling bad guy.
>>
Typical RPGs are all about fighting the bad guy. This one is just in reverse, or maybe even the potential story of how the MC turns into a hero to fight against the bad guy. I don't see how that's anything innovative, really. The best types of games are those with a really well flashed out morality system. Where you can actually be truly neutral, truly good, or truly evil, and aren't bound to some linear plot, and the last boss changes depending on the route you pursue. Hell, I don't know of a game like this, but if the last boss was optional, that would be amazing. Think about it. There's some typical demon that's terrorizing the continent, you set off on a journey to stop him, but end up turning into a criminal after being treated like shit. You forget all about the demon and the story shifts to something more personal - a tale of revenge, perhaps? Of lust for power. Maybe creating your own band of thugs and terrorizing the countryside, etc...

Would be great if such a game existed. Doubt it will anytime soon. It's just too complicated.
>>
golden sun 2?

kind of?
>>
File: 6d9.jpg (15 KB, 288x432) Image search: [Google]
6d9.jpg
15 KB, 288x432
>>331061505
>a tale of revenge
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
File: 2015119102220_1.jpg (47 KB, 656x350) Image search: [Google]
2015119102220_1.jpg
47 KB, 656x350
>Avellone apparently had always wanted to make a game where you play as the villain of the story
>nobody would let him do it because it was too edgy and they weren't willing to put investment dollars into it
>Avellone leaves Obsidian because they never let him do what he wants after a lot of his ideas/writing were cut from their 'dream game' funded by kickstarter
>now Obsidian is making a crpg where you play the villain

Bullies
>>
File: Ico_okku.jpg (15 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
Ico_okku.jpg
15 KB, 128x128
>>331062935
Technically MotB is already a game where you play the bad guy.
It has one of the most satisfactory Bad Guy playthroughs I've ever seen in vidya.

Also, gotta love making a belt out of this fucker.
>>
File: 1458101691149.jpg (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1458101691149.jpg
18 KB, 500x500
>implying
There's nothing wrong with that, Op. What bad is that the chances are the game will be pushing the black and white morality on the player where you either overthrow the TYRANNY and end up a hero or you are the worst person on Earth.
>>
>>331063730
Isn't Obsidian's trademark trying to be grey as fuck? Kotor 2, New Vegas especially? I haven't played PoE so i dunno if they've double backed lately.
>>
File: overlord.jpg (162 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
overlord.jpg
162 KB, 1360x768
Among my favorites.
>>
>>331064190
Being evil in KOTOR 2 was just as saturday morning cartoon villain tier as the first. Kreia and the other sith lords were written well but the stuff you could do was laughably childish.
>>
>>331064190
After Avellone leaving the company I'm not sure they can keep it up.
>>
File: 250px-TheLostAgebox.jpg (26 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
250px-TheLostAgebox.jpg
26 KB, 250x251
>>331058140
no, this is a game where you play as the "bad guy"
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.