[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How are you suppose to get in on Ryu/Ken as a Mika/Laura/Gief
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9
File: reallyfirstround.jpg (446 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
reallyfirstround.jpg
446 KB, 1920x1080
How are you suppose to get in on Ryu/Ken as a Mika/Laura/Gief player? His fireball recovery is so good that he can react on jumpins instantly. Ryu especially dangerous because he is a brain dead character that does the highest output damage in the game.
>>
Lariat goes through fireballs.
>>
>>331025939
Yea. I don't play gief, I just put him on there cause I figured he has hard times against zoning characters.
>>
>>331025834
All of Mika's HK attacks get past fireballs. Also, chip damage is nothing in this game, you can keep walking forward and blocking.
>>
>>331026398
No. Charged HK does, but you have to know it's coming, even if you react to fireball it won't come out in time. Same with sweep, you cannot react in range with fireballs in this game. Start up and recovery is way too good.
>>
>>331025834
Kill yourself bronzie. Fireballs suck in 5.
>>
>tfw still Rookie
>>
>>331027136
Fireball game is the best it's ever been for Ryu.
>>
>>331027562
They're only good when he's in trigger and chuckin plasma drains that meter.

Get. Good.
>>
>>331025834
Just walk forward and block. It's not hard.
>>
>>331026230
His armor helps him past that. His shit normals just happen to fuck him over against characters like Cammy, Chun, Vega, Bison, Birdie, or FANG.
>>
File: 1525103-art__20_.jpg (47 KB, 616x640) Image search: [Google]
1525103-art__20_.jpg
47 KB, 616x640
>>331025834
Fireball drills do em. Other then that practice your armored/ projectile invincible moves you need to time and predict your opponent.

Most Ryu's I fight get annoyed as you're just avoiding/absorbing their fireballs while walking forward slowly and carefully. always be ready to anti air as thats their breaking point and watchout for invincible wake up reversals so watch your approach and punish accordingly as it leads into more damage. once you've trained your opponent to block you've basically won as now you can enter as I like to call THE GRAB ZONE where instead of hitting them for damage you start grabbing them with commands and regular grabs.

Keep in mind though when most people see a grappler on top of them they tend to either neutral jump, jump way or back dash chase and punish accordingly.
>>
Watch some Snake Eyez matches, he's literally steamrolling everybody as Gief.
>>
>>331028213
That's because the guy's not only godlike in neutral but basically a mindreader. He's one of the few people built to make Gief work in this game. And even then it's painfully obvious how much work he has to put in compared to other characters. That floe vs SE battle lounge set made me feel sorry for SE even though he only lost by 1.
>>
I'm wondering the same thing but as a Birdie player. If they play lame I win but if they go aggro I'm not sure of his "get off me" tools. I've been rekd by 5 Ryus in a row and it's pissing me off. I'm Rookie btw.
>>
>>331028429
If snake eyez doesn't switch characters it will most likely hold him back in the long run. Right now the tiers are only tight because of match up knowledge not being fully explored and documented. There are still little quirks to work out in each individual character.
>>
You can respond in a few ways

Scrub tier:
>"Waaah fireballs are OP"
>"LOL stop spamming hadookin loser"
>ragequit

Acceptable tier - Predictive options:
>jump forward and full punish
>anti-fireball move (Mika charged HK, vskill, armored rush)
>poke them out of it (spacing dependant)
>your own fireball
>block

God tier - On reaction
>Neutral jump (can be baited sometimes)
>buffered super or anti-fireball move (some characters)
>>
>>331028648
Your cr mp is a godlike anti-air and your cr lp is godlike as well and a great interrupter. Otherwise, learn some v-skill setups. The most common one is rolling a can and then doing the anti-air chain grab to keep them spaced away. Also, learn to utilize v-reversal. It's a wonderful "get off me" tool and Birdie has access to 3 of them with a full bar.
>>331028771
I doubt he wouldn't have a pocket character because I foresee him running into trouble with good Sim and Chun players at tournies.
>>
File: 1441840499590.png (454 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1441840499590.png
454 KB, 720x720
>>331028881
>tfw god tier - on reacton but still somewhat scrubby at other aspects
>>
>>331028881
> They need to stop but they just keep doing it and I'm killing them but they just wont stop throwing fireballs tier:
> Heavy Ressenha on reaction

Ken, Chun, Nash, and Ryu don't have enough recovery on a fireball to block a full screen ressenha. It's crazy. You would think after two near full screen punishes they would stop but they just keep throwing fireballs.
>>
>>331029158
I knew about his cr mp. Ty for the info though. I'm going to try and put it to good use on all these Ryu pansies.
>>
>>331029448
I really doubt you can heavy ressenha on reaction. You're predicting the fireball and betting on it.

If you have super locked, you can cancel directly into that from just inside of fullscreen on reaction.

It's also a tight punish on block, most average-shit players won't be able to.
>>
>>331029674
Oh, and don't forget. The chain on those throws go through fireballs and you're invincible while the animation plays and the leap throw goes over fireballs. Birdie has many ways to deal with Ryus.
>>
>>331029210
You're the exact opposite of me, then.
>Good at mindgames/yomi
>Good at comboing in general
>Good at poking/spacing
>Cannot react to an overhead to save my life, even if it's 25+ frames
>>
>>331029847
You have to do it on reaction from no less than 3/4. It only has lower body invincibility. It's only a qcb. motion too which, let's be real, even a pad player could hit on reaction no problem.

You're implying that I'm so in their head, so godlike at reads that I'm clairvoyant, that I can predict the exact moment they're going to throw it at the perfect spacing. Because the second ressenha crosses the arc and comes back down a fireball can hit it again.
>>
>>331025834
Fireballs do no chip in this game. Literally just walk up to him blocking any time he throws a fireball and he'll wig out once you get close. If he doesn't hit the panic button you can punish on block at close range.
>>
>>331029864
Yea I knew about the invincibility of the chain that's why I was winning the rounds they played lame. It's their aggression I could not deal with. What are his good wake-up options?
>>
>>331030596
Fireballs do chip. All specials do. They do red damage and white life damage.

Normals only do white life.
>>
>>331030696
Birdie doesn't really have a good wakeup option. EX Bull Horn has armor on it but is extremely unsafe on block and st lk is your best normal to press on wakeup since it's the fastest and leaves you +3 if they block it.
>>
>>331030410
You can already have the qcb buffered, just hit HP on reaction. The distance that it works at is pretty specific. The closer you get, the harder it is to do properly.

I still doubt you can do it on reaction - once the fireball is on screen you have between 6-8 frames to start ressenha.
>>
>>331030349
lol I'm the same

>Can give a good challenge to a tourneyfag (if he plays grounded)
>Great at yomi and spacing
>Can't react on jump in and overhead for shit, get beaten by literal noobs sometimes because of this

fuck us I guess
>>
>>331031952
>yomi
what the fuck is a yomi
>>
>>331032004
mindgames
>>
if you must react to a fireball, v-skill, block, or headbutt

but you should try to read it and jump in
>>
>>331032078
oh, okay my yomi is shit, so are my reactions

I just played cammy and guessed my way to 3000LP
>>
>>331032004
Yomi means to read.
>>
>>331032206
It's really hard to react on a fireball. Unless great reaction talent, it takes years of experience to be able to react to every punishable fireball. It has to be anticipated first, then react to. The time window to react is really short specially when you have so many other things to think about.
For instance, most people that try to react on my fireballs get hit by a medium shoryuken waiting for them. But those who anticipate them and are already in the air the instant I complete my fireball input are those who can punish me accordingly.
>>
>>331031952
I still love fighting games, though.
There's something magical about completely reading your opponents moves ahead of time.

>Playing Guilty Gear
>Got hit by a Dust
>I have my Burst
>I know my opponent will try to bait it
>So I don't use it
>I watch as my opponent drops a perfectly good combo and I get to keep my Burst
I did literally nothing and it felt absolutely amazing.
>>
>>331032004
>the japanese art of reading the mind of the opponent

>>331030349
overheads are tough - I recommend reading the spacing and timing instead; lows will come out sooner unless the opponent intentionally delays. Most characters don't get anything off their overhead anyway.

>>331031952
>can't react to jump-ins
this puts you in the lowest skill bracket of player. If you can't do a simple anti-air when a forward jump takes literally 3/4 of a second, you're going to get shitstomped every time.
>>
>>331025834
As Zangief you headbutt, v-skill and lariat.

And he can only react to jump-ins after a fireball if you jump too late, which means its not really a jump-in, you're not supposed to react to the fireball if you want to jump in, you have to PREDICT it and jump as he fires it, then he won't have time to dp.

And you're wrong about the damage output as well, Gief has a much higher damage output, and Mika puts people into a grinder that might as well be called an instant kill combo.

There are many other options, you're just really new at the game still, way too new to go around calling other people's characters brain dead.
>>
ALEX WHEN?
>ALEX WHEN?
ALEX WHEN?
>ALEX WHEN?
ALEX WHEN?
>ALEX WHEN?
ALEX WHEN?
>ALEX WHEN?
ALEX WHEN?
>ALEX WHEN?
ALEX WHEN?
>ALEX WHEN?
ALEX WHEN?
>ALEX WHEN?
ALEX WHEN?
>ALEX WHEN?
>>
>>331032903
>>can't react to jump-ins
>this puts you in the lowest skill bracket of player. If you can't do a simple anti-air when a forward jump takes literally 3/4 of a second, you're going to get shitstomped every time.
yeah but I'm super silver
>>
>>331033167
Congrats, you can do a bnb.
>>
>>331033261
so I'm not the *lowest* skill bracket eh?
>>
>>331033167
>yeah but I'm super silver
So you've hit the highest level combos/setups will take you. Congrats.
>>331033382
You're still in 0-2 at tournaments tier.
>>
>>331033548
>good in every aspect of the game but one
>lol you're shit tier
>>
File: 1438882872401.png (49 KB, 377x326) Image search: [Google]
1438882872401.png
49 KB, 377x326
How am I supposed to deal with people who DC? It really kills my boner.
>>
File: 1454631369063.png (106 KB, 348x278) Image search: [Google]
1454631369063.png
106 KB, 348x278
>>331033548
>You're still in 0-2 at tournaments tier.
I don't care
>>
>>331031952
why the fuck can't you say read instead you dumb fucking weaboo
>>
I am so sick of being connected to mcdonald internet yuropeans. France has Brazil-tier connection. I hope you pentuple niggers enjoy getting DQ'd on. Patch to play only with people in your country when?
>>
>>331025834
just don't play their game. wait till they fuck something up and reset them to death. if they're turtling just v-skill to scare them out. also fireballs suck in V, just stop being shit i guess
>>
>>331034215
Not him, but yomi is a broader term than reads. reads are a part of yomi.
>>
>>331025834
An your reactions just suck cause their fore balls are super negative even on hit.

Ryu and ken fire balls cause shitty hitstun
>>
>>331033730
You're not good at any aspect of any fighting game if you can't even position yourself to anti air a jump in.
>>
>>331034215
>technical term that has no direct translation in english that is used by everyone that is remotely involve in any fighting game ever
>having anything to do with being an weaboo

I wan't neo-/v/ to leave
>>
File: 1458079048693.png (534 KB, 557x1024) Image search: [Google]
1458079048693.png
534 KB, 557x1024
>play 10 matches on ranked
>4 are against Kens, 3 are Ryus, 2 Nashs and 1 Cammy

Why is the SF playerbase so boring?
>>
>>331034724
>plays Ryu
>my favorite match up BY FAR is Ryu versus Ryu

All other characters feel like gimmicks.
>>
>>331034690
I didn't mean I can't do it, I meant it's what I have more trouble with, despite being much better with more advanced stuff.
>>
>>331034724
>play 10 matches on ranked
> only 1 against ryu, rest is rashidos, fangs, necali, karin, chun and birdie
i guess everyone must be playin ryu on bronze and rookie, i remember seeing quite a bunch of them on my way up scrub
>>
>>331035051
That's because advanced stuff you can training mode. Combos/setups/etc are all things you can practice in a controlled environment. Spacing is something you have to play by ear according to your opponent's actions. 90% of antiairing is being at the right spot to be able to do it in the first place.
>>
>Game has been "simplified for a wider audience" aka casuals who just want to mash buttons
>Slow as shit movement and walk speed
>Huge floaty jumps with next to no horizontal range
>Tiny ranged normal's
>Tiny hitboxes on everything
>Normal's have a shitty priority system
>Throws are slow as shit with no range
>Links are gone and combos are now mashable
>Huge buffer window
>No close standing attacks
>No neutral jump attacks
>Game is full of comeback mechanics desinged to "lower the effectivness of player skill"
>Only super can chip kill
>V-Trigger a huge universal buff you get as a rewarded for losing
>V-Reverasl a get out of jail free you are rewarded with for losing
>Receve less damage the less health you have
>Worst roster in a street fighter game to date fan favorites replaced with characters no one wanted like birdie and rmika
>Risk/Reward is skewed due to high damage from jump ins yet pitifully low damage on anti airs and how you can no longer get large damage punishes from a jab
>Huge amounts input lag
>Constant fps loss on ps4 and high end PC's
>Random input drops
>Dumbed down mechanics
>Top players already saying the game is casual garbage
>P2W
>Game literally released in an unfinished state
>Online doesn't work correctly
>No punishment for rage quitters
>Only 2 player lobbies that dont even work most of the time
>error 40002
>>
>>331034724
>play 10 ranked matches
>nash nash nash nash nash nash nash ken nash nash
>>
>>331025834
>-7 recovery
>good

His c short hado on block is punishable by a third of the cast
>>
>>331035257
Here's your (You), shitposter.
>>
>>331035257
God SFV really is a shit game.
>>
File: 1457543842269.jpg (280 KB, 734x1140) Image search: [Google]
1457543842269.jpg
280 KB, 734x1140
>>331034724
I used to play against so many awful Kens in the lower leagues of Ranked.
I always wonder what a mirror match with two of these retards would look like
>>
File: 1451457862666.jpg (26 KB, 150x188) Image search: [Google]
1451457862666.jpg
26 KB, 150x188
Reminder to turn V-Sync off.

And also, Skullgirls is great.
>>
I swear to god they went out of their way to make Gief worse than any of the other characters in this game. It's like they chose to purposefully not give him tools that would benefit him in this engine.
>>
Walk forward and down back nigga until he's in the corner

The fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>331036792
forgot link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYCW0Dfixv4
>>
>>331036792
If I turned vsync off, the game would be too fast and I really don't want to see tearing.

I tweaked my system for least input lag when I was playing fps - 144hz monitor etc.
Wouldn't disabling vsync cause stuttering and lag online because of the variable frame rate?

I played at a local tournament over the weekend, and it feels like PC (vsync on) and ps4 have very close to the same input delay. There was one setup that was running a frame or two behind, but I think it was on a different monitor than the others.
>>
>>331037509
that's not how v-sync works my friend

fighting games are almost always locked to 60fps regardless of what you do

if you turn v-sync off, game stays 60fps but you have ~30 frames less input lag
>>
>>331037509
See
>>331037150
>>
>>331032971

On a friday. Trailer and playable station at Final Round this weekend, and release next week. Or they'll release him AT Final Round, but it would be weird to release him without a proper trailer.
>>
>>331032903

>tfw can react to jump-ins
>only react with the wrong button and whiff everytime

Last week I was reacting to Nash's scythe with fierce, but now I can barely jab him out. Why am I getting worse instead of better?
>>
>>331037878
>30 frames less input lag
I don't believe that.
Vsync on vs. off is maybe a 2-3 frame difference in most games.

>>331037905
Let me watch the vid and I'll post again, it's rather long for a simple comparison and I don't think video is an ideal format.
>>
>>331038223
check the video I backlinked
>>
>>331038223
>>331038254
Video shows 3-4 frames of reduced input lag by disabling vsync.
He did not mention other visual settings, or ps4 vs pc.

More interesting is the online data - vsync on adds barely any added delay, 1frame at worst. vsync off adds 2frames by playing online.

He did analyze the effect of playing online with higher ping. SF4 in particular directly adds input lag relative to your ping to gameplay, which is what made combos so much more difficult online. #shitnetcode

As a lag-sensitive veteran, I think vsync on (pc) is nearly identical to the input delay you'll feel in a tournament environment (ps4).
If your monitor at-home is not a low-lag monitor, you may wish to disable vsync to compensate.
If your goal is not to get better at a tournament environment, but to have the lowest delay possible, forced vsync off (pc) is going to give you the most advantage as long as you can handle the tearing.
>>
>>331040106
I have yet to see any screen tearing though and vsync is off
>>
>>331040349
Yeah, I haven't played with vsync off yet but the tearing was really jarring in 4, especially jump-in timing and anti-airing gets awkward.

I'll probably try it out, but I'd like to sync my home experience with my tournament experience as closely as possible.
>>
>yo play ryu to learn the fundamentals and shit
>wow where are all these ryu players coming from!?!??!!?
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.