[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NX Speculation Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 5
File: nintendo_nx_header-1050x457[1].jpg (37 KB, 1050x457) Image search: [Google]
nintendo_nx_header-1050x457[1].jpg
37 KB, 1050x457
Will it be backwards compatible?

Will there be a good launch lineup?

Will there be an ethernet jack for once?

Will online be free or paid?

What's the gimmick?
>>
>>331021206
>Will it be backwards compatible?
Yes
>Will there be a good launch lineup?
No
>Will there be an ethernet jack for once?
Yes
>Will online be free or paid?
Paid
>What's the gimmick?
Extensive amiibo integration
>>
>>331021464
What makes you so sure about the ethernet jack

The Wii U didn't have one and that's far past the age of knowing wi-fi is shittier than wired.
>>
>>331021206

I would imagine so. They could profit from Wii U software sales from non-Wii U owners.
>>
>>331021709
>>331021464
It won't be backwards compatible. They'd have to start selling gamepads at that point.
>>
No.

They have to completely drop the PowerPC architecture if they want to move forward and I seriously doubt they're going to spend the money and time to have hardware backwards compatibility.

If they're not retarded and don't want another failure but this is Nintendo so the answer is probably yes.

Nintendo are retarded, so no.

Free but there will be some sort of subscription hook to get people to sub.

>What's the gimmick?
Hopefully nothing but it's Nintendo so probably something stupid that hinders the whole system.
>>
>>331021839

There's a lot of Wii U game that don't require a gamepad.
>>
Don't count on it. If it is, it will be limited ala the Xbone's 360 compatibility. Full compatibility would mean using the PowerPC architecture again, which would be a horrible idea.

We'll know at E3.

Probably not. Shit costs money for something the average pleb doesn't use.

Going the paid route is suicide. There aren't enough games to warrant it.
>>
>>331022075
But there are several that do require it, not to mention any amiibo shit requires it.
>>
>>331022196
>Probably not. Shit costs money for something the average pleb doesn't use.
I think Nintendo knows that the average pleb isn't buying their consoles anymore.
>>
>>331021975
>They have to completely drop the PowerPC architecture if they want to move forward
Well, sort of. They could go with POWER, but they won't because the later iterations are power hungry, feature lots of expensive eDRAM, and take up a lot of die area. That's why Nintendo keeps reworking the one they had in Gamecube.
>>
>>331022459
It really sounds like Nintendo needs to ditch the PowerPC architecture if they want 3rd-party support.
>>
>>331022521
Are their any third parties out there even writing code for console-specific architectures? Don't they just mostly run them through compilers?
>>
>>331022521
are there not third parties that write games for the Wii U
>>
>>331021206
Well, probably. The thing is Nintendo artificially blocked GC games on the WiiU, so I'm not expecting it to go past WiiU games.
We'll know more in June.
The WiiU technically had Ethernet, you had to buy it separately, though.
It's Nintendo, not Sony nor Microsoft. Take a wild guess.
>What's the gimmick?
Most people's money is on VR, which makes me think it's probably not that.
>>
>>331022935
>The WiiU technically had Ethernet, you had to buy it separately, though.
The Wii and Wii U had an ethernet adapter. Not even close to as fast as regular, but stable which is more important for games.
>>
Backwards compatibility would also seem to maybe throw cold water on the rumors that it uses cartridges. I doubt Nintendo would include both a disc drive and a cartridge slot.

I am holding out hope that the "hybrid" functionality that keeps being rumored is a shared cartridge-based game library between separate handheld/console that scales assets up/down depending on form factor. I would not be super interested in a handheld that has an HDMI out.
>>
>>331023257
Who the fuck wants cartridges? They're great for handhelds thanks to fast load time and small footprint, but aside from that they're way too expensive to manufacture and have worse storage space than discs.
>>
All I know is another console generation is going to come and go with no F-Zero and I'm going to be bitter for it.
>>
>>331022698
This, people think vidya developers do low level optimizations or something. That's the work of the engine coders.
>>
>>331023590
I do.
>>
>>331023590
>way too expensive to manufacture
>have worse storage space than disks
It isn't 1996 anymore. The company Nintendo buys its 3DS carts from has mass produced 32GB models.

If they offer a fast enough read time for Nintendo to avoid having to include a mandatory HDD for installs, it could keep the console BOM down for better internal tech.
>>
If this doesn't have backwards compatibility, FULL bc, with the wii u, this system is doomed to fail.

100% guaranteed. No matter what else it does, it will not survive long enough to matter.
>>
>>331023590
WiiU discs hold about 25GB of space. Flash memory CAN go way beyond that.
>>
>>331024679
>FULL bc, with the wii u, this system is doomed to fail
Why? If people wanted to play Wi U games, they would have bought a Wii U.
>>
>>331021206
I don't think it's backwards compatible with the WiiU. I DO think it's backwards compatible with the 3DS and it will feature some WiiU ports like Zelda and Smash 4.
>>
>>331024782

It will fail without it. People will want to play wii u games on it, and if they can't, they won't want this system.

Period. They will just keep their wii u and not buy this thing.
>>
>>331024951
That's retarded though. People bought PS4 and Xbone even though they didn't have BC. Most people don't give a fuck about this. People buy new consoles for the new games, not for the old ones.
>>
>>331025163

Nintendofags are retarded though dude. Remember that please.
>>
>>331021206
Here are the facts:

Its gonna be shit
>>
Iwata was quoted as saying that going forward whatever they release would need to be able to "absorb Wii U architecture".

That phrasing is a bit open-ended. He could mean including a small WiiU processor on the die like PS2 did. He could mean sticking with the same architecture [just a die shrink, up clock, and add cores] like they've done since GC. Or he could mean being powerful enough to emulate.

They may also consider buying Wii U ports from the Virtual Console store to constitute backwards compatibility.
>>
File: NX FACTs v3.png (632 KB, 1224x2200) Image search: [Google]
NX FACTs v3.png
632 KB, 1224x2200
>>331025626
Here's the quote btw
>>
>>331024775
It's not cheaper to mass produce though.
>>
>>331021839
if its a hybrid wouldn't all of that be built into the gamepad/handheld
>>
>>331021206
I remember seeing a rumor about amd making parts for it was any of that true?
>>
>>331025870
Totally not biased
>>
>>331026630
>90% quotes
>biased
ok
>>
>>331026630
how is it biased?
>>
>it will cost 399
>Western 3rd parties will stay away as usual
>it will not appeal to normies
>there will not be a killer app before 1 year later
>Some European electronic stores will not touched it, like its the plague which happen to 3 stores in my area with the wiiu.
> the new zelda might be a launch tittle
>the new Dragon Quest will sell allot in Japan
>>
It'll be a handheld
>>
>>331021206
no, there are no cd slots of any kind on the patent
DeNa is not known for making good games
of course not, they have never included on, so why start now?
yearly sub with premium monthly subs that remove the bandwidth cap
>What's the gimmick?
there is none, it's a box and a remote, everyone wanted nintendo to be like the other guys, now they can finally have it

the NX was doomed to fail from the start, and we should rejoice now that nintendo's draconian rule will come to an end in the next 4 years, with a golden age spanning generations once they go belly up
>>
>>331026878
The last 2 lines
>>
>>331027427
I love the part when you are retarded and demonstrate it by writing a full post to prove it
>>
>>331027427
>there are no cd slots of any kind on the patent
Patents don't always represent the final form of something or don't always apply to what you think they do.

Nintendo filing a patent for a game console with no CD drive could just as well be another portable.
>>
>>331027574
>what is sarcasm
>>
>>331027736
When someone say the opposite of what he thinks in a playfull tone, not large letter written like some sonyggers cat got raped by Iwata
>>
>>331021206
it better be fucking backwards compatible.
if it's not then I ain't fucking buying
>>
>>331027427
>fuck games; I want gimmicks! Delicious, worthless gimmicks!
>>
If it's not a VR machine, it's DoA.
>>
>>331029089
Dead or Alice? Fuck yeah.
>>
>>331021206
>Will is be backwards compatible?
I still think it's not a replacement system, so I doubt it.

Apparently a Smash game will be a launch title, but outside of that, I have no idea.

>Not using Wi-Fi

I'm thinking free, Nintendo may be stupid, but they aren't retarded. They know everyone hates that shit.

>What's the gimmick?
Being a cross between handheld and regular console, based on the relatively recent leaks.
>>
>>331029871
>not a replacement system
neither was the ds, but it had le backwards compatibility
>>
>>331031364
It was a replacement system, though. It was the successor to the GBA, that was the whole point of it.

The NX, however, is specifically supposed to not be a replacement system. Nintendo has stated as much.
>>
>>331031598
>The NX, however, is specifically supposed to not be a replacement system. Nintendo has stated as much.
Can you link me to that?
>>
>BC
no

>good launch lineup
I feel like Nintendo is forced to have a good launch line up since sony is already rolling in 2016

>ethernet jack
no

>free or paid
free

>gimmick
I pray to god none, but If I had to guess I would say spacial recognition via the controller
>>
>>331031598
"[It] will enable fun and movement not seen before. I expect it to become a third pillar, next to GameCube and Game Boy."
-Satoru Iwata, Gamasutra (January 07, 2004)

http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=515
>>
>>331025870
The assumptions here are retarded.

Based on this, I speculate that this new "console"
will be somewhat of an expansion to the Wii U, but also provide it's own features.
The new3ds and Wii U titles will both be playable.

That cartridge rumor? Perhaps we'll be able to put our 3ds games in the console
directly, and play them? The customizable control options might mean we
can play with our 3ds, or the various Wii U controllers.

Optional Hardware:
Perhaps this console will come in pieces. One will link your Wii U and your 3ds games,
without adding an addional disc based piece of hardware.
However, to play exclusive games, you need the "real" new console piece.
This might be what they meant when they offer a system that combined everything.
Cloud based shit? I dunno.
It sounds dumb to me.

Just give me an HD high powered gamecube.
>>
>>331028907
But if Nintendo wants third-parties, it may have to drop BC just due to necessity to compete price-wise.
>>
>>331021206
Yes, it will play New 3DS, 3DS and DS games

Most games at launch will be New 3DS titles with a small number of NX native games.

Would make no sense on a handheld.

Free

>What's the gimmick?
USB type C for charging / video output
Wireless video broadcast/reception
Ability to use it as a WiiU Gamepad
Ability to use WiiU/Wii controllers with it
Vulkan
Limited Cross compatibility with the New 3DS and the new New 2DS that will launch around the same time.
>>
>>331035053
It's not a handheld, it won't play 3DS games. Nintendo has stated it's a console like three times now.

also
>non proprietary charging cable
That ain't happening.
>>
>>331021206
MOBILE VR
>>
>>331036246
I know you're baiting, but Nintendo already stated they're not interested in VR at all. And seeing that PSVR is the lowest priced option at 400 fucking dollars, I'm seriously doubting it'll catch on like the kinect or move did. It's just too expensive.
>>
>>331022935
>VR
>on a console
>on a Nintendo console
VR is really, really resource intensive. You're looking at a screen three inches from your face, so it needs to be high resolution, wide field of view and high frame-rate in order to avoid looking like crap/giving people headaches.
>>
>>331038225
how about that AR they used on the 3ds? it seems like everyone is forgetting about the wonderful world of Augmented Reality, wouldn't you like a HUD? mark out points on a 3d map with your nintendo brand NX bloatware failure?
>>
They are going to use the same CPU again. They'll just do it on 28nm or 22nm and add more cores.
>>
>>331039854
they are also pushing out 20 million of them by the end of 2016
>>
>>331040102
>20 million by end of 2016
Where did you get that?
>>
>>331021206
wait the nx isnt the next handheld that replace the 3ds?
>>
>>331041463
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/12/01/nintendo-reportedly-targeting-20-million-nx-units-shipped-for-2016
>>331041529
it's both, they are doubling down for twice the flop
>>
>>331041785
That rumor can't really be trusted, came from an unreputable source.
>>
>>331041785
>aiming for shipped not sold
JUST
>>
>>331042118
>>331042147
it's the gamecube/dreamcast all over again
>>
>>331041785
>it's both
so a n3ds with vita graphics or more but still less that a wiiU? just that?
if its doesn't have compatibility with ds and 3ds cartridges I'm not bothering with it
>>
File: 1314555.png (9 KB, 500x538) Image search: [Google]
1314555.png
9 KB, 500x538
>>331022459
>That's why Nintendo keeps reworking the one they had in Gamecube.
PowerPC basically died when Apple abandoned it. IBM only cares about chips in servers, mainframes, clusters, and SORT of in ultra high end workstations. And that's it. POWER is designed around that stuff, including lots of decisions that make no sense or aren't worth the cost in normal shit.

Apple was the principle driver of PPC for lower end systems and most importantly notebooks (and in turn higher efficiency and lower TDP, key for a console too). When they were forced to dump it that was it for general usage and everyone else should have immediately seen the writing on the wall. If Apple couldn't get IBM or Moto or whomever to be competitive with x86 nobody could. The economics are just too hard at this point to be a special snowflake. You either choose x86 if you are plugged into a wall and have a decent budget, or you choose ARM if you have more restricted needs and/or endless billions to throw at in-house design.

Nintendo made a mistake not jumping ship this gen, the tech world has changed and they need to adapt to. Their old assumptions are now wrong. Sony and MS bit the bullet this time and took the pain, and losing BC sucked, but it was a necessary tradeoff. They're now very well positioned for the next round. Nintendo needs to get moving, the longer they wait the worse it'll be.
>>
>>331043000
good thing patents have not slots at all, it's digital only
>>
>>331043234
how many chance that its region free and I can get unlocalized games? and to also avoid 100% shitty future nintendo localizations?
>>
File: 1439603978831.jpg (30 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1439603978831.jpg
30 KB, 450x450
>>331043563
>nintendo
>how many chance that its region free and I can get unlocalized games?
>region free
>>
>>331039854
>They are going to use the same CPU again. They'll just do it on 28nm or 22nm and add more cores.
no fucking way. was already a mistake with wii u, now would just be pure suicidal.
>>
>>331043231
They aren't going to get any third party support and no one outside of the dedicated Nintendo fan base is going to buy it, so it really doesn't matter what CPU they go with.
>>
I just hope we get decent hardware (at least PS4-level if it's going to last 4-5 years) and a conventional controller. The Classic Controller Pro or whatever it was called was pretty good, but games were forced to make use of the underpowered gimmicky gamepad so most couldn't utilise the better controller even though it was there. I want a return to some of their classic franchises like F Zero and Metriod. I want a true Mario 64 sequel instead of endless gimmicks (3D World was in the right direction).

As long as it's reasonably capable and isn't gimmicked to shit I'll be an early adopter.
>>
>>331044736
I honestly disagree. If they switch using a standard x86 APU, it could in fact have a major effect.
1) It'll just plain be cheaper for them, they don't need to do any R&D or investment there, they can literally just call up AMD and order it. They'll have some system engineering and integration work and that's it, not a huge deal. So it's good ANYWAY.

2) It means they can instantly achieve power parity with MS and Sony, or at least close enough (nobody gives a shit about a 5-15% disparity in the modern tech world).

3) Opens up a LOT of middleware to them at zero extra cost. 3rd party devs bothering with your platform is an equation of a couple things, with the big two being how big the customer base is, and how much it costs them. Having to do a lot of extra work is one thing, but if "supporting" the NX basically boils down to adding an extra compile target in their middleware then lots more devs will go for it even if they're unsure of the platform because there's no reason not to.

Now, Nintendo could still sabotage themselves wrt point 3 via some pricey gimmick or being dicks on the market side, but at least they'd have the option to not suck. Without x86 though it's over.
>>
>>331045696
>I want a true Mario 64 sequel
I hate when people say this.

You realize each mainline Mario game is vastly different from each other other than running and jumping, right?

Mario 1 does not play like Mario 2

Mario 3 does not play like World.

64 does not play like Galaxy

and so on and so forth
>>
>>331043231
Will actually be cheaper in the long run because pound for pound the ppc is more powerful and efficient.
Plus anyone who builds it for them will give them a permanent discount.

Really, the x86 has done nothing positive for the current gen consoles outside of make them cheaper for sony and ms to produce.
The games aren't better, the consoles are loud as fuck and crash if you unzip your fly...it's just a clusterfuck all around.

No one save for hardware and middleware shillers who're hoping to push x86 thinks nintendo should do it.
Third parties don't give a fuck mainly because none of them go to the metal anyway so whatever fucking cpu the consoles has means fuck all.
>>
>>331045696
>I just hope we get decent hardware (at least PS4-level if it's going to last 4-5 years) and a conventional controller.
Anon, there would seriously be zero excuse for Nintendo not to be competitive with more like the PS5 or XTwo, or at least well beyond current ones. In the old days this was more complicated, because everyone had to make their own chips and it cost billions to fight at the high end. Back then yes, it made sense potentially to be weaker but cheaper.

Now though you just call up whoever and order it. They'll give you whatever you want to match your BOM and silicon budget, low to high end is just price per lot. Things have changed and Nintendo can and must take advantage of that. Hardware power just shouldn't be a real differentiator anymore, at least not like it ended up being this time.

It's so simple it's frustrating. Nintendo just needs to make a solid, standard console, that's it. Their core strength is software, not hardware. If their own devs are no longer gimped they'll be able to do way more, way more easily, and that's a win all by itself. Plus it's good for the bottom line, plus 3rd party interest will go way up merely by way of not having to gimp themselves. The gimmick decision only made sense when internals was something they couldn't compete with but that day is gone. They can make another SNES at this point.

I'm not saying that'll put them on top or anything like that. But merely being competent, solid, competitive and a decent place to start rebuilding a base? That shouldn't be so impossible.
>>
>>331046214
>Will actually be cheaper in the long run because pound for pound the ppc is more powerful and efficient.
Are you out of your fucking mind? It's nowhere near as powerful OR efficient, that was the entire reason Apple dumped it. At the very ultra high end POWER is reasonably powerful, but it's also a huge energy hog. It's main advantages more consist of reliability and special application use. PPC? It's dead. Only thing that can approach x86 perf/watt is certain custom ARM stuff and if Nintendo thinks they can jump into that game vs the likes of Apple or Samsung well good luck.

>No one save for hardware and middleware shillers who're hoping to push x86 thinks nintendo should do it.
More like only retards think Nintendo SHOULDN'T do it.
>>
>>331045917
I know that. There's a basic formula for both 2D and 3D, though. SMB1/3/W are all along the same lines, just with new obstacles and power-ups introduced. Sunshine plays like SM64 with the FLUDD, Galaxy is SM64 with the weird gravity mechanic etc. 3DW was on the right track for what I want to see, back to straight platforming. I'd like to see the next entry with semi-open levels with multiple goals, but just a solid 3D platformer with great physics and level design. They try too hard to switch things up, Galaxy was way less interesting because so many of the levels were just linear planet-hopping from tiny sphere to sphere, one occasionally having a house and a few platforms on it. I liked levels like the bee planet, where it reverted to the old style, but it wasn't this greatest-game-contender like everybody treats it.
>>
>>331045917
Galaxy was close enough to 64 anyway and that had a direct fucking sequel so I don't know why people are still crying about Sunshine
>>
>>331045804
I don't think Nintendo gives a shit about achieving power parity with MS and SONY. They were right there or above with both 64 and Gamecube and neither pulled in numbers they were happy with.

As for x86, I know both SONY and MS investigated other options. Apparently ARM didn't have a 64-bit version ready to go in time. I don't think MIPS did either. We'll see how that manifests itself in the future.
>>
>>331046594
>At the very ultra high end POWER is reasonably powerful.
I was under the impression that POWER's inherent advantages over x86 really only manifest themselves in heavily multithreaded applications.

You don't really it in the server market anymore. Mostly supercomputers and HPC for like government/military shit and finance.
>>
>>331046306
I completely agree. They haven't really done that since the SNES, though. Gamecube was almost there, but it had mini discs and an unconventional controller. Still, it was great-looking and packed enough power to easily compete. I'm just being realistic, I don't think anybody actually expects Nintendo to pull anything impressive visually out at E3. They always make up for poor hardwarw with good art design, but having both would shoot them way above Sony/MS. Sony has some good 2nd-party stuff like Tearaway, but on the whole they don't understand the software anywhere near as much. If Nintendo just gave up on motion and 3D and all this bullshit we'd finally see what they're capable of in 2016. They're limiting themselves for no other reason than they have been for years and they feel like they have to. The ironic thing is Sony and MS are changing slowly over time, whereas Nintendo haven't learned anything since the N64.
>>
>>331046594
X86 is more powerful and efficient then a top end ppc?
Prove it.
>>
>>331047145
>I don't think Nintendo gives a shit about achieving power parity with MS and SONY. They were right there or above with both 64 and Gamecube and neither pulled in numbers they were happy with.
This is vastly more complicated then you state. The 64 was only "more powerful" in a few respects, mainly in vertex power. But it had a HUGE asset problem (64meg carts vs 750 meg CDs), and the GC did too to a lesser extent. The PS1 had some nice tricks, and was also much cheaper in every respect, was earlier, and Nintendo were being even bigger dicks too.

The GC was just a clusterfuck all around. If you want to know the whole sorry saga read this:
>https://dromble.wordpress.com/2014/01/07/dolphin-tale-story-of-gamecube/

>>331047517
>I was under the impression that POWER's inherent advantages over x86 really only manifest themselves in heavily multithreaded applications.
Nah, even in single threaded it's reasonably competitive though yes, heavy multithread is where it shines. But at the high end there's more involved then pure performance in many cases, which is why mainframes still exist (hot swappable CPUs and RAM are cool). It's an interesting chip, you can read some stuff here though be warned they're very limited in terms of actual benches:
>http://anandtech.com/show/9567/the-power-8-review-challenging-the-intel-xeon-
However, it burns a LOT of watts and is very very pricey. It's in a completely different universe from consoles which was my point, POWER is irrelevant to the whole thing even if it still has some niche remaining.
>>
File: 1457988013788.gif (184 KB, 460x306) Image search: [Google]
1457988013788.gif
184 KB, 460x306
>>331043724
n-no bully, a man can dream
>>
>>331048208
Nintendo was a little valid with their 64 carts since it was near-instantaneous loading, especially compared to the PS1's 10-15 second loading screens.
>>
>>331047569
Up until the wii, their consoles have always ALWAYS been stronger then the competition.
Outside of a few one offs and quickly forgotten and highly pricey guys this has been the case forever.
Even the WiiU was put out to compete with the ps360 and be a HD replacement for the Wii in the 7th gen.
Sony and MS and the AAA guys all got together to start the 8th gen because...they weren't going to be able to compete and they really really wanted to one up nintendo who might have crushed them if the ridiculous tablet thing took off.
'
>>
>>331048368
>muh loading times
Yeah we know how much the market gave a single fuck about that vs all the benefits. In fairness there were a couple of game types that benefitted. But there were many more that just could not work with the cart size limits, full stop. If it was like 400 megs vs 750? Maybe even 300? Perhaps it could have balanced out more, but it was just crippling.
>>
I play Nintendo/Sony/PC games. At the moment I play mainly Sony games, and it saddens me to see the current state of Nintendo. They have so many important series and the occasional gem proves they still have the potential there, but they shoot themselves in the foot trying to wow the Wii crowd again. I hate how they're synonymous with gimmicks and weak hardware. If they had a straight console that performed well and took out the complications so they could focus on the games without being limited by their gimmicks, casuals would see their favourite series with impressive current graphics and flock to it, the console would be a real contender instead of a weird halfway outcast (nobody would have a Wii U instead of a PS4/PC, it's more of a supplement console to play your first party Nintendo games) and they could regain some footing with third parties. They're a joke, the same as Sega is a joke, and I want them to storm in and pull back some of the market. Currently they're thrown in the background and make 1-2 good games a year if that, and those games are a pain to play because the platform feels so archaic.
>>
>>331049357
Oh I agree 100%,it's just that Nintendo wasn't being retarded with that decision, they had reasons even if they weren't the best ones.
>>
>>331048994
The problem was the 360 came out in 2005, and the Wii U was barely more poweful than it 7 years later. They were too late, the Wii U should have been a 2012 powerhouse that ripped the 7th gen to shreds instead of barely clinging on and being outshone a year later. People held off on the Wii U until a price drop or more games came out, understandable, but 9 months later there was talk of the next "real" generation and all of a sudden the Wii U was already outdated.
>>
>>331021206
I think so.
They'll probably cross gen Zelda again instead of using it to launch NX because they'll feel obligated to put it on Wii U.
Never happening. They have to save the penny's and the physical space. Buy the USB adaptor like a good goy.
I honestly don't know what to expect. They might go for some of that sweet Gold/Plus pie.
>What's the gimmick?
Wii U gamepad that isn't tied to a base unit and is a little more powerful than a Wii U.
Less powerful than Xbone but 720p max resolution allows them to run the multiplats.
Main gimmicks will be ease to develop and daily life integration by way of Nintendo apps on other devices so you're interacting with Nintendo software daily even if you're not gaming.
HDMI wifi dongle for TV sold separately :^).
>>
>>331049778
>>Will there be a good launch lineup?
>They'll probably cross gen Zelda again instead of using it to launch NX because they'll feel obligated to put it on Wii U.

Also I'd really like to say they will have killer apps there on day one, I'd like to say, "hey, they just finished building their new Japanese HQ shortly after Wii U's release. They'll get their act together and make faster progress on developing great games" but the fact is they haven't launched with software that presents an unrivalled brand new experience that can sell consoles since the N64.
>>
>>331050350
Wii Sports was exactly that, and the most successful box-in game for selling units other than SMB1. It was a casual game with little depth, but it served its purpose on showing you the capabilities in an accessible way. It was more a demo for the versatility and justification of the wiimote.
>>
>>331021839
>implying they wouldnt
they sell wii shit still anon
>>
>>331050809
Wii shit doesn't cost $150.
>>
>>331049760
Dude, the wii was still making money hand over fist at that time, they were in NO hurry.
But you are right, but not for the reasons you think
See the WiiU should have been brought out about two years earlier. WHILE the Wii was made into a cheaper 100 dollar ultra mini version for streaming, dvd playback, wii and digital games.
They would have owned the market if they didn't fuck up.

But the time of their release and how spooked they made sony ms and more then likely ea were forced to release their crapbox ibm compatible laptops.
>>
>>331050645
I forgot about that. That's entirely true; that single pack in game sold that console to tens of millions of grannies. They need to find a new experience that can instantly grab any type of person ,be they a gamer or not, just like Wii Sports did. Can't just be easily replicated on android/ios either or they'll just give popcap and shit a new money maker.
>>
>>331051154
Sony and MS had nothing to worry about. The Wii U had a year lead on the other two, and got trampled within a month or two. The Wii U was doomed from the start. Practically everything worked against it; it had disappointing performance, a poor gimmick, a poor launch lineup, a poor and confusing name, and a high price for what you're getting.
>>
>>331051303
Wii Sports was almost too good at its job. The Wii was known as the Wii Sports machine (perhaps later also the Wii Fit machine), as a fairly cheap exercise box and nothing more. Serious "gamers" dismissed the console for being casual, it was flooded with shovelware and movie tie-ins to appeal to the now swarming casual market, and any decent games like A Boy and His Blob, Muramasa, Zack and Wiki and countless others got overlooked and forgotten. It has one of the poorest attach rates other than a few exceptions like NMSB, probably amongst the lowest with the PSP. They earned a shitload of money and were probably happy, but they'll be chasing that market forever now.
>>
I wish it was backwards compatible, I don't want to have to buy a Wii U this late but I'm interested in quite a few of the games. Sadly the gamepad will either stop it being possible or have to be included on the NX which will ruin any chance of it being successful.
>>
Imagine the irony of Nintendo bringing out a powerful traditional console while Sony/Microsoft are busy with VR gimmicks
>>
Don't care about their console, I just want them to return to single screen, no gimmicks handhelds.
>>
>>331021206
No.
No.
No.
Paid.
Touchscreen controller.
Essentially a souped up wii u with maybe a less shit name and no VR.
Also all the games will be censored and will continue to be region-locked.
>>
>>331054126
Why would anyone switch to Nintendo, though? You can still play regular games on your PS4/Xbone. They don't all just vanish overnight. Nintendo is going to have trouble really pushing past where SONY and MS are power-wise in 2016 for a competitive price.
>>
it will be the first forwards-compatible nintendo console. It will play all of their future games, at increasingly poorer framerates, until all of the games are unplayable slideshows. This will be essential for competing with modern consoles.
>>
>>331021464
No
Yes
Yes
Free
Detachable potable
>>
>>331021206
No. Nintendo is moving away from the Powerpc architecture to make porting between consoles easier

I kinda doubt it. Will probably have one good game at launch, and that game will probably be a port of an older title. Maybe a Ridge Racer.

No. Nintendo thinks everyone has wifi routers

free

>What's the gimmick?
Amiibo, I think the controller is going to have a screen like WiiU, but smaller.
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.