[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the trends that killed video game genres for you? >RTS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9
File: Bacon, Egg and Cheese Bagel.jpg (94 KB, 657x797) Image search: [Google]
Bacon, Egg and Cheese Bagel.jpg
94 KB, 657x797
What are the trends that killed video game genres for you?

>RTS moving away from macro management and towards micro management and more action intensive combat
>this ultimately resulting in RTS giving way to the MOBA genre, where there is almost no macro and you just control a single unit, in a test of reflexes rather than a test of planning
I mean, RTS always had the element of micro management, and you'd always do well to move away wounded troops, get in and harass than pull out with fast ones, kite with ranged units and so on.
However micro was far less intense, and far less important to earlier titles. Mostly they were about scouting and using the information of what your enemy is to either boom your economy, or tech, or make a timed push while you had the advantage or some such.
Another thing that StarCraft did to the genre is make 1v1 the default play mode, despite previously many people playing 2v2, with one person being very aggressive while the other goes for economy, or a full in double aggro, strategies like that.

>MMO moving away from being a social game, centered on professions and crafting, where you can access great content on all levels to being very late game centered, and the leveling being a chore
>all the "quality of life" improvements resulting in MMOs being practically single player games full of self sufficient players that dont need to interact with others much at all to get the best gear and content
Stuffing all the good stuff at the end really bugs me, and even more the way you dont need to chat with people to get in a group and handle the bosses. I'd much rather have a boss drop 3-4 crafting items, each of which requiring some high end profession to work with, and then the refined goods combining in a strong armor. That way you need to socialize to get it, you need to find people, add them to friends, trade favors. Its what the point of MMOs was meant to be.
>>
rts will reborn
mmo was never good
>>
>Voice acting in jrpgs
>"Epic" open worlds
>Less atmospheric horror games in favor of jumpscares and facecam shit
>Always online console games
>"meaningful" choices in wrpgs/crpgs trying too hard
>shitty combat in said rpgs
>"Soulslike" becoming a thing, its pretentious as fuck and awful
>Action games are being more like Musous or Arena Fighters
>>
File: AC Nexus.jpg (33 KB, 252x370) Image search: [Google]
AC Nexus.jpg
33 KB, 252x370
>Mech games
>Just stop existing

Kill me
>>
File: An abandoned villa in Italy.jpg (104 KB, 880x586) Image search: [Google]
An abandoned villa in Italy.jpg
104 KB, 880x586
>>330975040
>rts will reborn
It doesnt need to be reborn, it still exists, just as a niche rather than a popular genre.
With the HD version of Cossacks coming out, and the promised mod support, maybe we'll see it being popular for a while.
>mmo was never good
Nigger I'll fight you. Dark Age of Camelot, Ultima Online and Runescape all left me with great memories.
The cruel joke here being I played more of WoW than those three games, despite surely enjoying my time with it less.
>>
>self sufficient players that dont need to interact with others much at all to get the best gear and content
Even in most MMOs today you still have to either get a pvp team or raiding team to get the best and for games like WoW and Wildstar you need a raid group to see all of the content (less for WoW but there is still some exclusive stuff like Ra-den, Garrosh P4, Cho'gall, etc)
>>
File: 293055.jpg (53 KB, 360x400) Image search: [Google]
293055.jpg
53 KB, 360x400
Season pass/day one dlc
>>
>>330975254
>what is raid finder

Click button, click accept, play your hero as if the game is single player and the rest are bots, get items.
You can do a raid without using the chat once.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (141 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
141 KB, 1280x720
>>330975141
Hawken and Titanfall came out close to each other, if they were more successful perhaps publishers would've revived the genre.
>>
>>330975291
But you won't have the best gear in stats and mythic gear has unique appearances and mythic has exclusive lore, mechanics, and phases
>>
>>330975396
>online only garbage

fuck off
>>
>>330975190
By reborn i meant be more popular again, still have high hopes for DoW III
>The cruel joke here being I played more of WoW
the real cruel joke here is thanks to wow you'll never get another good mmo ever again unless it's wow 2
>>
File: mech 3.jpg (68 KB, 413x500) Image search: [Google]
mech 3.jpg
68 KB, 413x500
>>330975396
Both have hardly any customization. I suppose Xenoblade X also counts but for the most part my life consists of
A) praying From stops riding souls dick for a new AC
B) A gundam game comes out in the west
C) Play more Mech Warrior online AKA "grind and be let down by your team" the video game
>>
>>330975510
but writing an AI and meaningful singleplayer battles is just so hard, you wouldn't want these poor hard-done-by studios to have to actually work for their money would you?

>not only have games become more "streamlined" aka shit, development studios have also become more streamlined.

why pay for devs when you can buy ads?
>>
>>330975659
The only singleplayer games that sell are the very high budget ones, like Fallout 4 or The Witcher.
Meanwhile, low to middle budget multiplayer games sell excellently.
>>
>>330974773
been eating homemade bread and dried beans for weeks now

anybody need some tutoring or a writing project?
>>
>>330976323
What can u tutor me on?
>>
>Bloody screen so real

Why won't it go away, I don't mind regenerating health but I hate the jam on the screen.
>>
>>330976216
This is simply not true. Plenty of indie devs make singleplayer games that make good returns.

AAAAAA publishers have their head up their ass and would rather put all their eggs in one basket and make BLOCKBUSTER singleplayer titles (which entails higher risk, watchdogs...) than sell more smaller titles with smaller budgets that cater to underserved audiences. So indies do.

>low to mid budget mp games sell excellently
How many people are playing the latest medal of honor, or titanfall, or shitty yearly MP release #82 right now?
>>
>>330976491
Watchdogs made money. It sold very well and is getting a sequel.
>>
>>330974773
Everyone wants the cod audience

Think about it.
>1 game sells lots everyone wants a huge crowd like that which is fair enough
>Everyone releases similar games
>Standards drops

The industry would have been better off if devs made different games and there was more choice for players.
But the devs amd pubs -the people who get money from the industry- made the industry bland and samey
>>
>>330974773
>I'd much rather have a boss drop 3-4 crafting items, each of which requiring some high end profession to work with, and then the refined goods combining in a strong armor.

>I'd much rather get fucking jewed.
>>
>>330974773
MMOs' pretty much died when every single piece of info in them could be datamined within an hour of patch time. No need to explore when everyone has all the info they need to essentially bypass the content without other people.
>>
Stealth games: look through wall, marking

open worldgames: millions of annoying useless sidequests, basically every ubisoft game
>>
>>330974773
tl;dr
That sandwich looks dry.
What's a good condiment for that kind of sandwich?
>>
Isometric Hack-and-Slash reached it's apex with D2X and never returned to that point. All consequential games were very, very slow in comparison. Shit like 4-frame teleports and 7-frame zeal was fucking retarded.

I used to play JRPGs a lot on SNES/PS1 when I was younger, but they changed a fair bit starting with the PS2 and became waifu shit and overblown as fuck in terms of design.
>>
File: [Despair].webm (1 MB, 450x472) Image search: [Google]
[Despair].webm
1 MB, 450x472
>FPS
>regenerating health
>corridor+cutscene level design
>fucking aiming for you
>>
>>330977458
Nah, all the grease and fat makes it moist, and its also a bagel, they are always soft.
>>
>>330974773
Th-that sandwich looks pretty good anon.
>>
>>330977458
Cream cheese I bet.
>>
File: EPIK.jpg (44 KB, 256x290) Image search: [Google]
EPIK.jpg
44 KB, 256x290
>>330976491
>AAAAAA publishers have their head up their ass and would rather put all their eggs in one basket
>watch_doge
YOU ARE UNDERESTIMATING MY FINANCE.
>>
Slow FPS merging with Arena shooters rather than existing as 2 seperate genres.

Platformers being all about "muh difficulty" (Atleast media molecule is keeping this alive with LBP and Tearaway).

Point&Clicks having either all the puzzles removed and become dear ester, gone home and life is strange, or going too far the otherway and becoming an obtuse mess that's borderline MOTAS.
>>
Every genre has gone to shit, and the standard of video games, as a whole, has dropped significantely in the last several years.
>>
>>330975615
>Gundam game from the west
>tfw Pacific Rim's game was shit
>>
>>330975606
not him but how exactly is it WoWs fault?
They gave people what they wanted , other company's can invent something new.

The actual problem is people trying to make shitty copys of popular activision blizzard games and fail.
>>
>>330974773
TRPGs
>the continual shift from grounded, morally engaging political conflicts towards storylines that are really no different from any JRPG
The T:Os and FFTs of the world are long gone, replaced with Fire "nobodydiesloluagoodboydindunuffin" Emblem and near-vns like Lord of Magna and Stella Glow
Meanwhile in the West they just don't exist besides XCOM
>>
I don't like eggs
>>
>>330974773
>Pretty much every genre
>Crafting and RPG elements

Can't just have a good action game or FPS or hell, even racing game anymore. You have to be able to constantly pick up bullshit to craft and dump points into meaningless stats.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.