[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I really don't understand why people want a digital-only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7
File: P.T._cover.jpg (71 KB, 437x292) Image search: [Google]
P.T._cover.jpg
71 KB, 437x292
I really don't understand why people want a digital-only future, I really don't. Remember PT? Awesome experience and now people can't experience it because it's not longer available. Same thing with Scott Pilgrim and Marvel games. If a license of a game you paid for can just disappear and you can't download it anymore, I'm fine with having a disc in my house that I OWN for as long as I want. Not ranting, if you buy digital, good for you, but physical media should always have a place in the game industry.
>>
> I really don't understand why people want a digital-only future

> digital

i don't think this word means what you think it means
>>
>>330952267
Elaborate? Is downloading a file not owning your game digitally?
>>
the corporations who produce the media want the people who consume it to have no control. the corporations (music/movie/game companies) want to control their "product" not the stupid consumer. the peoples' job it to fork over your money to the content mafia, again, and again, and again... until you die, and your kids repeat the pattern.

welcome to capitalism ;)
>>
>>330952560
>posted on my iPhone
>>
>>330952560
It really sucks what the game industry is evolving into, dlc, micro transactions, games are becoming less and less creative and are trying to take every last penny from the consumer. Remember having to unlock characters in fighting games instead of having to buy them?
>>
Downloadable games on the PC with weak/no DRM is the best future. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>330953071
The thing with pc gaming is that there's so many ways to backup and preserve games that nothing is really lost forever, with consoles, all you have is psn, Xbox live and e shop, and if anything happens to those companies financially and they shut down their services, all the money you spent will be gone and have no way of re downloading them.
>>
>>330952560

try again iFag ;)
>>
>>330953332

there is no escaping Micro$oft and $ony DRM cancer
>>
>>330953724
DRM really is a fucking deadly sin man. I don't know how any sane person can support online-only practices.
>>
>>330952352

The autist is trying to play semantics and say the game is still digital, even though it's clear from the context that you mean being able to hold the data in your hand via physical storage and not rely on maybe possibly the servers still having the game in the future.
>>
>>330954634
You know full well what he meant you don't have to be an asshole about it.
>>
I still have this game on my ps4, and I'll never delete it. And if you don't believe me, I'll take a pic too.
>>
>>330954950
I have PT as well but what if something happens to your hard drive and you want to redownload it?
>>
>>330954950
So do I
>>
>>330954901

Uh excuse me? I don't think you know who you're talking to right now. Cause if you did, you'd show the fucking RESPECT I deserve.

So listen here you little shit, I'm gonna give you 1 chance to say two simple little words. They're very easy. Say the following words EXACTLY as I type them:

"I'm Sorry".

See? Very easy. 7 letter, a space, and a single apostrophe. Do that and we can forget about this whole mess. I'll just on my way and you can go on yours. If not... well.. heh... I think I'm gonna be able to have some fun tonight.

A little piece of free advice: Don't. Test. Me. Think carefully about what you're about to do or this might be "checkmate" for you.

You're move.
>>
>>330955454
Glad you let that all out. Must be really good to vent to an anon on 4chan. Kudos to you buddy.
>>
That only happens when you make your games exclusive to consoles, if those were on PC they would still be playable one thousand years in the future.

It's not even a master race thing, it's just the truth, look at those old DOS games, even some obscure mods are still available.
>>
>>330955454
>You are move.

Fucking disgusting.
>>
>>330955454
I'm Sorry
>>
>>330954634

I already got burned with Spore on Steam. Origin suddenly demanded that Steam stop selling the game from 2010-2014, and apparently Steam not only forcibly removed it from my desktop somehow, they also deleted all records that I had ever bought it.
>>
>>330955939
but what if i am move?
>>
I don't remember PT. Steam is too big now, it's more likely that my house burns down with all my games than Steam disappears.
>>
>>330956320

Good boy.

>>330955642

Sometimes you just have to remind the ingrates around here who exactly is boss.

>>330955939

I'm watching you, pissant. Don't test me.
>>
>>330952082
Hate to break it to you OP but this problem only applies to consoles. PC will literally never have the P.T. issue.
>>
>>330956636
No actually, it's not more likely. And you're telling me that you don't remember PT even though it literally came out less than a year ago?
>>
P.T. is an exception. Nice try, though.
>>
>>330956709
I know, it really is a shame since a lot of the really great games are console exclusives.
>>
>>330952082
I'm not a retard, I don't sit here playing an NES I have set up still or some shit like that, so this doesn't matter. If you're that much of an autist then you are a fucking, well, a literal autist.

In 30 years I'm not going to be sitting down saying "gee, I sure do want to play a PS4 game that I also cannot possibly emulate". I'm not going to fucking care. Even if I get in the mood I can say "Oh well! :^)" and move on.

Grow the fuck up.
>>
>>330957075
The whole PSP store and everything online with Wii and DS? Alongside with every Marvel game, Scott Pilgrim, EA games on steam, etc. No, it's not the only exception. Nice try though.
>>
>>330956965
>No actually, it's not more likely.
I don't know man, I use a space heater a lot.

>And you're telling me that you don't remember PT even though it literally came out less than a year ago?
Yes.
>>
File: 1452472984774.jpg (115 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
1452472984774.jpg
115 KB, 500x378
>>330952082
>Bought 1.5TB HDD for PS4
>Called a dumbshit for buying a big ass HDD
>Have PT on PS4
>Don't have to worry about upgrading storage in the future
>Dumbshit friends wanna upgrade their HDD but dont wanna risk losing PT

Life is good.
>>
>>330955304
What if several years down the road, your PS4 dies and you can't get another one?

In the case of the hard drive, Sony has a backup option. You can backup and restore any games you bought.
>>
>>330957147
So you're saying that the people who don't agree with you and people that play NES games are autists and retards? Wow, we really need more people like you in this world.
>>
>>330957147
>I don't want to keep the things I pay for
>Archival? What's that?
>>
>when you're wanderin thru your hood and you remember u gotta tuck your gat low
:(
>>
>>330957586
PS4s can be repaired and if there isn't a single functional ps4 50 years into the future, I'm pretty sure emulation will be a breeze by then and it won't be an issue and I could still play and own the game I spent full price for 50 years ago.
>>
File: 50048494.png (2 MB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
50048494.png
2 MB, 1280x800
>>330955454
Nice, cool new pasta, [ or mayhaps one I missed out per chance? ] don't mind if I save this to My Documents fellow Anonymous
>>
>>330952082
>why people want a digital-only future
It's not that we want it, we were forced into it, and piracy is highly responsible of this
>Damn this people keep downloading our games for free!
>Wait! Since they are capable of fully downloading our games, why we don't profit from a service that just provides them this!

OFC the neckbearded faggot will deny, but you can't deny this objective fact, you can't beat the system, ever.
>>
>>330958247

Save it. It's all yours my friend :)
>>
>>330952082
Your example of Marvel and Scott Pilgrim is wrong
if you bought either of those, you can still download them

PT is the only one you can't, that's because it wasn't sold to anyone. it was free
>>
>>330953332
>with consoles, all you have is psn, Xbox live and e shop
This is it. Digital is only a bad thing when the entire platform is controlled by one company with no competition.

Reminder to disable auto-updates on your PS4 so you can crack it as soon as it becomes possible.
>>
That's not the fault of the digital format, it's just that the digital games are distributed in a dumb way with shitty terms for the customer because people are apparently ok with these shitty terms. There's digital only games being sold which you can still play even if the site you bought them from gets taken down or the game you bought is no longer available, like everything sold on gog.com. People are just so used to steam and such that they think that it's the only way to do things.

All the problems with the digital format can apply to physically sold games too, btw, like all the games that require the user to be always online. It's not a matter of digital/physical.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoW3vdm5yLM
>>
>>330952082
who was ever going to go back and play PT again, or who was ever going to be interested in it after its release. its a 15 minute demo

bemoaning all the 15000000 amazing things about digital distribution because people can't play a 15 minute demo with zero GAMEPLAY. WANNH.
>>
>>330955454
Haaaahahahahahahaha faggot
>>
File: 1455948203623.png (1004 KB, 1192x1080) Image search: [Google]
1455948203623.png
1004 KB, 1192x1080
>>330957297
>PSP store

What they did is remove the application interface. You can still access, purchase, and download all of the games through the web browser. They're all still on the servers.
>>
>>330960083
wew lad
>>
>>330952082
>Buy a wii virtual console game in 2006
>Have to pay to play it on wii u, 'but can still play it on the wii mode'
>Next system won't have wii mode
>Can't play it on that one at all without paying for another one

this is why I'm not buying digital games on a console ever again.
>>
>>330959156
I can go out of my way to find Chrono trigger and an snes but I can't get the bonus characters to ultimate alliance. Fuck digital.
>>
>>330956965
>No actually, it's not more likely. And you're telling me that you don't remember PT even though it literally came out less than a year ago?

It came out over a year and a half ago
>>
File: 1371976408497.jpg (38 KB, 316x331) Image search: [Google]
1371976408497.jpg
38 KB, 316x331
>>330952082
This is the main reason behind my support of consoles. I prefer having physical, tangible evidence over my ownership of a product instead of a license to borrow said product at 80$.
I have also never paid for an MMO or subscribed to anything.
I have a ps4 but I'll never pay for the online services because I'm already paying monthly for my internet connection.
>>
>>330953048
>games are becoming less and less creative

Bullshit. Here we have a casual with absolutely no clue about anything but he rumours and whining he hears about from the fucking social media he frequents.

I remember having no unlocks in fighting games. Because they were all in the arcades. And they still are.
>>
>>330960164
kill yourself
>>
File: Silent Hills.jpg (86 KB, 1215x623) Image search: [Google]
Silent Hills.jpg
86 KB, 1215x623
DAD WAS ALWAYS SUCH A DRAG

I didn't know who Norman Reedus was the first time I saw him in the game and thought it was a Westernized version of Kojima
>>
digital only media means cheaper games.
I just answered this thread in one sentence.
/thread
>>
>>330962414
> Physical and digital PS4 games cost $60 at launch
>>
Nobody advocating for a digital future is advocating for locked down console like DRM platforms.
>>
File: 1445165070183.jpg (139 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1445165070183.jpg
139 KB, 1920x1080
>buy game on disk
>lose/damage the disc or lose/get sold a dud key
>have to buy a new one
>may not be enough disks/cartridges available anymore

>buy game on steam/psn/other online stores
>can redownload games any time after purchase
>very rarely games will be removed
>on pc usually you can find a pirated version

Honestly this situation is why digital, especially digital PC, is objectively better than other formats. If PT was on PC, it would just be a bad joke when they took it down.
>>
>>330963956
Posting this shit with a Metal Gear picture just show how oblivious you were by the whole series. Congratulations for missing the point.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.