[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So is this good? Bad? Somewhere in between?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: Final_Fantasy_8_ntsc-front.jpg (182 KB, 856x800) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_8_ntsc-front.jpg
182 KB, 856x800
So is this good? Bad? Somewhere in between?
>>
>>330946224
first ff i played when i was like 7
loved it so much
>>
>>330946224
fighting is boring as fuck
>>
If you're a rabid VI fanboy, then it's le shit xD like every other game in the series that isn't VI

If you're not, then it's alright.
>>
>>330946224
worst game I have ever played
Had to stop before finishing even disc 1
the plot is a clusterfuck, combat is dull, characters are dull.... 20 horus in and I still felt like I was waiting for the game to start.

it's disappointing is what it is
>>
File: what.png (210 KB, 392x598) Image search: [Google]
what.png
210 KB, 392x598
>>330946224
Yes.
>>
>>330946224
I loved it
>>
>>330946562
>>330946561
>>330946296
how
>>
>>330946690
was never a chore to play, im not a game connoisseur or game critique. i had fun
>>
>>330947114
"chore to play" is exactly how I feel about FFVIII
>>
>>330946224
One of the worst FF games.

Shit battle system where leveling weakens you and the true path to power is playing a shitty minigame
Good graphics for it's time
Good music like every FF game
Pure shit story. Absolute shit. It's a trainwreck from start to finish. Square somehow managed to write a love story between a personalityless brick wall and an actual drooling mongloid that escaped from her mental hospital.
>>
File: 1427847416934.jpg (14 KB, 464x464) Image search: [Google]
1427847416934.jpg
14 KB, 464x464
>>330946556
>the plot is a clusterfuck
>Had to stop before finishing even disc 1

kek you think disc 1 is a clusterfuck? be glad you never saw the rest of the story
>>
I liked a lot of the mechanics. Probably my favorite FF setting too besides Ivalice. Too bad most of the characters are uninteresting as hell
>>
>>330946224
I have tried to replay this game a lot over the years but I usually lose interest before I finish. Gameplay/combat is dull and it's pretty fucking hard to get wrapped up in the story or atmosphere or anything about it.

It feels like they came up with a ton of ideas that sounded cool and then just wrote a story around it all.

Like, I know I'm being a huge ass autist about it but, why would anyone (NORG) fund a huge ass mercenary school for anime highschoolers in a world with one major power and two/three city states? Why does Galbadia have a fuck hueg prison that can drill into the desert, the only purpose of which is to lock up tiny lion people? If the Galbadians have had a missile base all this time, why did they not nuke the only other people on the planet who could have possibly been a threat to them ages ago? (Balamb)
>>
It's REALLY mixed.

It has amazing, high quality elements, and sequences like the Dollet mission are unforgettable

But then, it can be infuriatingly uninvolving and ineffective at times. You'll find yourself running around to catch up with a giant ship in a huge rainbow city, or running up countless floors of a prison with the same background art every time, and just ask yourself "how did this make it into the game? Is this padding or what?"

They probably just ran out of development time with this one, or had some other complications. It's pretty obvious that something happened, but no one outside of the developers probably knows the whole story.

Like how they give you a tutorial on the Switch command... On the second disc, when you would have had to be using it tons of times up to that point or else be extremely frustrated. Why didn't they tell you earlier?

It's like a grand masterpiece that's been chewed up and spat out again. You can see the pieces and it can definitely charm a lot of people, but... it's just all twisted up, it's not working like it should
>>
Liked the idea. Loved the music. Characters were mostly decent though lacking depth. Too much emphasis on the love story.
>whatever...
>>
>>330946224
Anyone up to gifting me a copy? I rather use Steam. Not Emu.
>>
Played it at launch,

Hated it a first,

But it grew on me, and by the time I finished it, I was fucking loving it.

Good characters, good story, great music, good battle system, triple triad, great music again.

also it made me fucking care about the characters, like the game actually had some soul, or magic.
>>
>>330947618
this
I watched my buddies play 8 as a kid growing up, holy fuck it barely made sense in the 1st disc and the wheels fall off the bus almost immediately after, just makes zero sense, which is saying something in the vein of Final Fantasies because they're all incoherent
>>
>>330948309
literally why?

paying square enix for a squaresoft game, even the one that arguably is messed up, is pure evil
>>
>>330948358
It's not the game's fault if your ability to comprehend it is heavily handicapped by your autism, or your low IQ.
>>
>>330948650
I would like to experince the game first hand. I already finished the Story of Final Fantasy 7 and I want to move onto 8. I cannot jump to 9 or 10 or further without playing 8 or those before 7. I have a fix for an RPG and Final Fantasy is one I NEED to play. (I played the shit out of FF7 and need to play ANY of the other titles)

That is....If anyone snagged a copy before.during the sales.
>>
>>330948908
just fucking pirate it
>>
>>330948908
holy fuck aren't you embarrassed?
>>
>>330949127
Whats to be embarrassed about? I sold my soul to the devil and I have no shame nor care what other people think of me.
>>
>>330949670
>this is bait
>>
File: whatever.jpg (35 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
whatever.jpg
35 KB, 600x450
>>
>>330948908

You can't play FF8 properly via steam anyway. SE's PC port is terrible, and the music is incredibly poorly filtered. You won't be playing the proper game at all.

Literally just emulate it. It'll be the game you're supposed to play.
>>
>>330946224
Something in between. Was my first FF, so I love it. But I like all FF games from VI to X.

The atmosphere is superb, it has anything from comfy to spooky. The music is one of the best in the whole series and makes the atmosphere even better. The story, well there is this Bildungsroman thing going on, but it's not very well executed and by disc 4 the story gets really weird. The turning point is that whole orphanage scene way before that, tho. It was a dumb idea which added nothing to the plot. Mini game is a nice card game, that will get really fucking challenging later on. Also helps a lot with the main game. Combat is pretty meh. That whole draw thing is only useful in the beginning, until you can transfrom your cards into items and the items into magic. Best is just to spam GF and Limits. Altough you could customize the shit of your characters if you are autistic enough.

Just give it a try.
>>
>>330946224
1st and half of the 2nd disc are good, then it takes a steady down turn. Had the game focused around during various missions for the Garden it would have been awesome.

A lot of people have problems with the combat system, they feel GFs are OP, junctioning magic is limiting and clunky, and enemies that scale with the party are disliked. Once you understand the combat system you realize it allows for a lot of customization and with the right magic you can break the game pretty early. I personally like it, but I can see why others do not.

Triple Triad is really good and you'll spend a lot of time with it, both because it's fun and it allows early access to some rare items.
>>
>>330946424
low test cuck detected
6 is my favorite and 8 is probably right behind it
>>
>>330946224
A bit of a mixed bag. The graphics, music, world and art direction were top notch for their time, but the story is a convoluted mess that shat the bed after the first disc, the protagonist is the most unlikable emo piece of shit crybaby faggot character in the entire series, and level scaling means the game punishes you just for playing it normally The junction system was pretty interesting if a bit clumsily executed..
>>
8 is a good game. people who think its objectively bad are usually shilling or havent really given it a chance. once you understand junction, the system can be fairly rewarding but also makes you ridiculously strong. the game is not super difficult but from a storytelling and narrative standpoint moved the series forward. the setting is great because it is modern to the point of feeling like it could take place present day. this is done intentionally so that players could empathize with the characters more.

people who get pissed about the "random love story" usually intentionally disregard the main point of the story, which is that its coming of age. you learn from playing thru the game that each character has to grow up in some major areas and they all learn life lessons from one another. if you give the game a chance its actually a pretty compelling story that should be easy to relate to. this game reminds me of when i was in high school. i had some growing pains but when it was done i came out a strong minded and well rounded individual. this game is like that but with dragons, magic and shit.
>>
Good but not for everyone.
>>
File: 1.png (752 KB, 536x669) Image search: [Google]
1.png
752 KB, 536x669
>>330946224
8 is decent

13 is truly bad
>>
>>330952635
I actually like 13 better than 8. They're both shit.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.