[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone familiar with Free McBoot? I currently don't have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: PS2 FMCB.png (123 KB, 383x492) Image search: [Google]
PS2 FMCB.png
123 KB, 383x492
Anyone familiar with Free McBoot? I currently don't have the means to install myself so wanting to buy a memory card with it already installed.

My PS2 has a broken disc drive so I am wanting to run the games I own off USB (ISO format). What do I need to know that may not be common knowledge?
>>
Bumpity mcbumpton
>>
lurk moar nigger
>>
>>330936453
Unless you have a FAT and you are planning to use a HDD its not recommendable, most games dont run trough USB because its USB 1.1 and 1.45MB/s its not enough.
>>
>>330936453

Any used games stores near you? Any place with PS2 games will have Agent Under Fire more than likely. It's not hard to take the shell off your console to swap discs.

https://youtu.be/cikQ_2N1D5Q
>>
>>330936818
The PS2 I have is a SCPH-3001 NTSC-U. Picked it up launch day. I also have a Network Adapter and IDE 160GB hard drive available if necessary.
>>
I tried it once to try and play import (legit, not burned) PS1 games, but it wouldn't work. I evened up formatting the card so I could use it normally.
>>
>>330937149
Download the mod to run it trough HDD only, you wont need a memory card that way.
>>
>>330936818

This, also you'll want to check compatible HDDs to go with the network adapter. I had to take mine apart to get my old Western Digital to fit properly.
>>
File: bro position.png (22 KB, 1001x294) Image search: [Google]
bro position.png
22 KB, 1001x294
>>330936453
>>
>>330937149
You should be set like that then. The method is free hdboot. You may want more storage if you want more games. I'll spoonfeed.
http://imgur.com/gallery/2rUST
>>
>>330937083
My disc drive is broken which is why I would like to run my games via other means.

>>330937213
How does it boot straight to HDD? If I understand correctly the Memory Card is the way the exploit works.
>>
What's wrong with your disc drive? Is it not reading discs? Not closing?

If it's not reading discs, pop the whole PS2 open and clean the lens with a q-tip + rubbing alcohol.

That right there fixes damn near half of the problems people had with the disc drive.
>>
>>330937438
It works with HDD only too.
>>
>>330937438
>>330937450

Answer this. If the tray isn't opening properly, it's pretty simple to open the drive itself and put it back on the arms that it slides on. I've had to do that about five times since I got mine years ago.
>>
>>330937450
It doesn't open or read. The drive is completely dead.

>>330937372
>>330937515
Thanks for the help.
>>
>>330936453
Last I checked, running games through USB is not recommended, as the USB ports on the PS2 are actually slower than DVD read speeds, leading to low compatibility with games. Free McBoot itself is great though, if you want to burn DVD-Rs and play games that way.
>>
>>330937450
If that doesn't work, you can try tweaking the potentiometer. If the laser assembly not moving is the problem, then you probably fucked.
>>
File: 1438319857158.png (316 KB, 432x413) Image search: [Google]
1438319857158.png
316 KB, 432x413
>>330937318
>>
Question, what do i need to do in order to play burned PS1 games? Hard mod?
>>
>>330939468
Free McBoot, a usb drive with the launcher for burned games saved on it (don't remember the name off the top of my head, sorry), a copy of 007 Agent Under Fire, and DVD-Rs. (DVD+Rs will not work). Installing Free McBoot requires hardmodding unless you know somebody who can put it on a memory card for you. If you don't, you'll have to have a copy of 007 Agent Under Fire, and you'll have to have a way to do the swap trick, which requires opening up fat models or shoving something into the tray close sensors on a slim. There are guides out there somewhere. Google it.
>>
>>330940320
Im not OP, i have everything you mentioned and a PS2 Fat.

Its just that i heard that its harder to get burned PS1 games working and that they only would work trough emulation.
>>
OP here...

>>330940447
Pretty sure you just need Free McBoot and ESR.
>>
>>330940771
So i can run PS1 games natively without problem?
Neat, i got a PS2 recently and had problems trying to get a PS1 without a damaged laser but i guess it wont be a problem now.
Thanks.
>>
>>330940932
I apologize, I thought your post was about burned PS2 games, not PS1. OP mentioned ESR, that was the launcher I couldn't remember the name of. I don't believe it actually works with PS1 games, and from what I can gather on google it's not actually possible to play burned PS1 games on a fat model, though there are several videos and posts about doing it on a slim. I don't really know.
>>
>>330941484
Its possible to play burned PS1 games on both FAT and Slim but they are run trough emulation.
That is the problem.
>>
>>330940447
with PS1 games, you need a way to block the disc sensor to do a disc swap
you can stop the drive from spinning, making the swap easy and safe with psxlauncher.elf

games with redbook audio (read: if you play tracks 2 and up in your CD player, you hear music) will have the wrong music play, though (so, Ridge Racers except for R4 I think, all the Wipeouts, etc)
most games use XA instead, which works perfectly (since it's on the data track)
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.