[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Least favorite game genres and why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4
File: Pixel-Art-GIF.gif (2 MB, 431x275) Image search: [Google]
Pixel-Art-GIF.gif
2 MB, 431x275
Least favorite game genres and why?
>>
>>330931072
MMO anything
Grinding anything
>>
Mobas.
Games are too artistic as well as the community.
>>
racing. Straight racing, like daytona USA. Because I sucked at it and can't grasp racing mechanics.

Tokyo drift was kind of cool with the car customization.
>>
Sports game, of course...like 99% of /v/. Followed by strategy/tactical (can't get into a single one, not even the friendlier new Fire Emblem games) and rhythm games.
>>
MMO and MOBA. RTS comes in third but that's entirely because I don't have the mindset for them so they aren't at fault on that one.
>>
>>330931072
FPS. I just don't play them, don't find them interesting, and so I suck at them. Quite a few of them give me motion sickness as well.

3D Collectathons. (think: Super Mario 64) They tend to be just... boring. I like wandering around and exploring, but most of these don't have interesting environments and the only thing you find are the same jangles you are collecting already. Plus, a surprising number have the same motion sickness problems.

MMOs. Just too much of a timesink for too little payoff. I don't have hundreds of hours just to get the shiny +1 bits for a character, especially when the process of doing so is boring as mud.
>>
ASSFAGGOTS, RTS, Sports, 2D platformers, horror
>>
RTS. I hate multitasking and controlling big groups of units made up of different types with different skills has always just felt like a pain in the ass.
>>
>>330931072
probably either racing or MOBAs. Racing just comes across as being too simple of a genre to justify spending that much money on them, although I'll admit I had a good bit of fun with a few over the years, mainly with the SSX games and the first NFS Underground.

MOBAs I just can't stand the communities and I feel like it's watered down RTS. It does have a high skill ceiling or whatever, but I just find them to be boring.
>>
>>330932224
Same except for FPS's, I can play some but only if it has an aspect to it that makes shooting people fun.
>>
Diablo-like "action" rpgs. I just can't get into them.
>>
>>330931072
MOBA
MMOs
Anime RPGs
Sports games
>>
File: 1447814228156.jpg (24 KB, 332x450) Image search: [Google]
1447814228156.jpg
24 KB, 332x450
>tfw I like RTS
>tfw I'm too dumb to play it
>>
MMO
Mobas
Fighting
Sports
RTS/strategy
Weeaboo anime games
>>
>>330932224
Feel the same way about FPS and MMOs. I like collectathons though. I also occasionally get motion sickness from non first person games as well but with FPS it is an absolute given
>>
>>330932750
This
>>
>>330931072
MOBAs for how shitty and boring they are
Sports and racing for being uninspired as fuck
Any weeaboo/waifu pandering game for the unbearable autistic followers
>>
walking simulators.
"early access" zombie/survival/crafting
>>
>>330932734
so practice you dumb whiny cunt
>>
>>330931072
Video games.
They're shit.
>>
I'm fond of many video games, but I guess I'd have to say racing games are my least favorite today, because they started alright for the most part, then went from alright to stagnant to fucking dead, with only a few major franchises surviving on brand recognition and car enthusiast money alone.

Although, we're getting stuff like GRIP and such thanks to kickstarter, so they might just come back,
>>
>>330931185
you can say autistic anon, mommy is not here to scold you
>>
MOBAS and fighting games.
>>
>>330933425
I hate driving sims like forza and GT. I like arcade racers like daytona, sega all stars racing. Shit pretty much the only racing games i like are by sega. They are the only ones who can turn a racing game into fun times
>>
I've always hated turn-based combat games. I've always had to put up with the gameplay to go on with the story, because I just can't like it. Movement is very important for me, and makes everything more more fast paced. This is why I'm actually glad jrpg's are straying away from turn-based combat now.
>>
File: 1457342278155.jpg (108 KB, 601x601) Image search: [Google]
1457342278155.jpg
108 KB, 601x601
MMOs until we someday get a good one. Wildstar came close, but then suddenly everything but the art style sucked.

Most serious-natured simulation games. I'm just easily bored by them, I'd rather play an arcade-style game of any of these.

Lots of western RPGs and most western FPSs. I couldn't get into Skyrim or Mass Effect, even though I really tried to. Modern Warfare and Halo can be fun in moderation.

Any Asscreed past 3.

Why do I hate western-made vidya so much? I'm not even that into super-weaboo japanese stuff involving idol girls and kawaii waifu crap.
>>
>>330933543
You know of auto correct right? Or do 3rd world countries not have that? x^D
>>
>>330931072
Never liked sports or racing games much. NBA Jam and Blitz were fun way back in the 90s but they weren't serious really. I used to enjoy fighting games until it became a competitive scene. It stopped being fun when the social rejects popped a vein anytime you didn't do whatever combo perfectly.

Whatever genre wrestling falls into is shit. I tried a MOBA once and hated it.

I at least kinda like the rest. RPGs, platformers, action, shooters, strategy.
>>
>>330931072
Sports games since they're dime a dozen and once you played one, you've played them all
MOBAs are boring, and I mean "I'd rather play with my fucking imagination" tier of boring
MMOs are too grindy and samey for me
Isometric RPGs are just long grindy walkfests that emphasize story and lore. JPRGs do everything that Isometric RPGs do, but better in terms of pacing and design
RTS is just plain stressful, although I really like the concept
Military FPS for the same reason as sports games

As long as it's not ANY of these, I'm willing to optimistically pick up and play it
>>
>>330933425
After years of playing sims like Gran Turismo and iRacing I got tired of them.
But last year I bought Trackmania Canyon and Stadium 2, and I got addicted to them.
So far I have 100 hours played in the Canyon and over 700 hours in the Stadium 2.

Both are arcade racing games, but extremely competitive at the same time, so there is always something new to learn or to get better at.
>>
horror, which sucks because a lot of them look really appealing to me. I'm just too much of a little bitch
>>
>>330931185
I like MOBAs, and while I'm not proud of it, let me tell you why.

I used to enjoy Starcraft Brood War and 2. But then one day, I realized something: I suck at these games! How much easier would it be if I could just do the microgame from these and completely forget about the macro? That's about the time League started to get big.

Not to mention, MOBAs are fucking intoxicating if you have friends who are into them. You just get into completely inhabiting your character, it almost becomes like a pseudo-kind of role-playing. Gross, I know. Friends will cheer you on if you do things correctly, and the endorphins kick in and take care of the rest.

That's basically it. There isn't too much else behind it. It's a lot like when WoW or GTA got big and everybody was trying to make clones of it. It'll eventually get forgotten in favor of something else.
>>
>>330931072
Survival. My life is comfy and soft, and I like it that way. I don't need to be shitting myself, dying of thirst in the woods. Besides, eventually people just form gangs and leech all the the supplies off of anyone out by themselves.

H1Z1, ARK... no Fucking thank you
>>
>>330934475
So...
Huh..
Huhhhh....
Strategic-turnbased games?, (I suppose you don't like graphic games as you don't like Irpgs/JRPGs)
Action RPGs aaaaand...
Idk, fighting must be boring for you as they are like sport/fps games...
WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU LIKE?
>>
>>330934730
You better be talking about Pokemon Stadium 2.
>>
>>330931072
Racing games that aren't mario kart or something like that are just boring to me
RTS because I'm bad but I haven't really taken the time try and get decent at one so maybe it's something I should do.
Sports games
>>
>>330931072
I've enjoyed games of every genre, the only games I really tend to dislike are games where META-Knowledge is a huge factor (MOBAs, RTS, Fighting Games). I want my skills to speak for themselves, and not have to memorize tons of move sets, timings, and miscellaneous bullshit before I can play on a decent level.

I know every genre has META to a degree, but even with something like shooters and map knowledge, skill is a much larger factor. That said, I'm not that into competitive games in general, so most exclusively pvp genres turn me off.
>>
>>330932971
Some FPSs don't give me motion sickness. It's just that most don't have any consideration for turning speed or FoV, which are the biggest factors in causing the motion sickness.

I just touch them so rarely that I barely remember which ones are the good ones.
>>
>>330931072
All of them apart from FPS, RPG and strategy

(RPG including ARPGs)
>>
>>330934847
I like stealth games, survival horror games, fighting games, 3rd person games, FPS that aren't "modern military", platformers, action games, arcade games, action RPGS, and I don't mind musous, hack n' slash, beat 'em ups, puzzle games or whatever the fuck Animal Crossing is
>>
jrpgs, or rpgs in general
usually takes too long to really get to the meat of the game. grinding is tedious and meaningless at the end.
>>
File: 1457166055790.gif (924 KB, 296x163) Image search: [Google]
1457166055790.gif
924 KB, 296x163
Beat-em-ups, repetitive gameplay.

RTS, always feel anxious watching my units and that no matter what I'm going to get fucked.

Jrpgs, awful gameplay with terrible balance, story, and characters. ironically I love dragon quest and MOTHER
>>
>>330931072
Fighting games and Rhythm games because I'm bad at them.
I have never played one but take /v/'s word that MOBAs are terrible.
I'm good at FPS with a mouse and keyboard, but my mouse and keyboard are both half-broken, that combined with my terrible internet makes multiplayer FPS a dream (not single player though).
MMOs don't suffer too much from my bad internet because there's not really much there to suffer, ya know? I mean the grinding is slower but heck I don't like grinding even when it isn't laggy as hell.
I don't hate the Horror genre, but any game that isn't shit is too spooky for me, so I tend not to play.
And finally I guess I hate Kusoge. I'm sorry, I thought I bought a video game, not a piece of shit, Xenoblade X.
>>
FPS unless they have added flavor (like the loot collecting of Borderlands) and aren't survival shit
Survival shit
Racing
Straight Fighting without added flavor again, like the platforming and such of smash bros
And Visual Novels if you can even call that games
>>
>>330934815

Half of this post is autistic but it's no secret that Starcraft 2 has suffered from the average gamer's ladder anxiety.

I can perform at that level but since I play vidya primarily to relax I almost never do. I can clear the campaigns on Brutal but that's still at my own pace instead of racing some other guy.

Likewise in response to the OP I don't hate the fighting game genre but I think it's kind of outdated. I'm not sure what the way forward is, I wouldn't want every game to be a Smash Bros clone, but I also can't stand the period where you eat piles of shit to be even average.
>>
I'm not into competitive games. I'd much rather play co-op or single player instead.
There are a few exceptions but none of them are that serious.
>>
I have Dota 2 on Steam, but I never installed or bothered to watch a single video about it.

Can someone give a tl;dr of what this moba is all about and why bydlos like it so much?
>>
RTS/Turn Based Strategy
I don't like that the empires I build don't have a long term life to them because the goal is to achieve victory and do it all again. Sims I like because I can spend forever in one, but RTS I can't get into.
>>
>>330931843
>can't grasp racing mechanics.
thats fine, they dont like being grasped anyway, they are busy tuning things and doing oil changes
>>
I dislike sports games generally. They feel pointless when I can just play the fucking actual sport. Though NBA street 2 was fun for the impossible moves.

Racing games generally unless there's some added element. Mario Kart and F Zero were interesting.

I dislike any dance simulation, exercise simulation games... just fuck that shit.

Any videogames based on a movie or television franchise. They are always bullshit cash grabs. Except Goldeneye, damn...
>>
>>330931185
I like mobas, the communitys are literally cancer.
>>
Visual novels and sports simulation games. There just boring to me
>>
>>330936320
It's a team based game with a lot of characters and multiple ways to build each of them so there's a lot of variety
It's also pretty easy to pick up
>>
Hack n' Slash games make me want to end my life.
>>
>Grand Strategy
>Simulation
>MMOs

I suffer from lack of autism
>>
>>330931072
Anything with hit counter, combos.
god of war
dmc
etc.
They make me angry.
>>
Fighting games because I'm shit at them.

RTS because I'm retarded and can't micromanage.
>>
Strategy games in general because they make my brain hurt

Fighting games because they're overwhelming to grasp and I don't have a git gud mentality

Everything else I either enjoy or haven't played much of.
>>
>>330931072
fighting games, they are essentially empty graphics with button mashing
>>
Animushit
>>
>>330931072
MOBAS because they are all that is wrong with current gaming
>>
>>330931072
RTS
FPS
>>
>>330937031
>I dislike sports games generally. They feel pointless when I can just play the fucking actual sport.
I don't get this logic. Playing a video game based on a sport isn't at all like playing the actual sport. It's not an experience you can replicate outside of video games.
If you enjoy the gameplay of FIFA then it's not like you can just go out and play football as a healthier substitute. Even if you like both, they're completely different activities that satisfy different cravings.
>>
JRPG

I just don't like all the grinding, and how they are glorified VNs most of the time where when you aren't in boring generic combat, you are pressing A repeatedly to read dialog boxes you have little say in what happens.
>>
>>330931072
So I looked this gif up and now I wanna see this Slain game be a thing.

Any idea if the March 24th release is accurate?
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.