[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Left: fair, challenging, well-designed legitimate difficulty.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8
File: dsxc.png (190 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
dsxc.png
190 KB, 460x215
Left: fair, challenging, well-designed legitimate difficulty.
Right: unfair, bullshit, cheating, poorly-designed artificial difficulty.

DEVELOPERS, YOU WANT THE LEFT, NOT THE RIGHT.
>>
>sticking save points so far away from each other
>fair
X-COM Apocalypse is better than either of them.
>>
>>330921027
Save scumming is anti difficulty. At that point you can just reload saves forever until the dice rolls are in your favor.
>>
>cheating
in the players favour, sure

besides, i hate this "there is some degree of uncertainity involved, instead of taking caution or leaving myself some space in the event of failure ill just throw my hands into the year and bitch at the devs because risk management is black arts" meme
>>
What developers are you talking to?
>>
>>330921485
Wanting to not have to play the game for over an hour to get to the next save point isn't save scumming. In any case, in both EU and XCOM 2 save scumming is off by default and you can't save scum. EU had an option to turn it on but I don't know about 2.
>>
>>330921027
Is it really? I can't help but feel that people that claim this are only doing so because of nostalgia.

I got all of the Xcom games from a humble bundle, but I honestly have no plans on ever installing the originals.
>>
>>330921513
XCOM risk management is bullshit, though.
The offensive action, which you need to take, ends your character's turn. If they missed their mark, you have 2 options.
>Try to take out their mark with your remaining soldiers
>Leave him to possibly die
And when there are more enemies on the screen than there are people in your squad, you NEED some degree of luck to survive. It doesn't matter how skilled you are, RNG can and will force you to fail at some point.
I like the games, but they're honestly pretty annoying in this regard.
>>
>>330921485
Relying on save scumming in this instance is artificial difficulty. You're basically working around broken game design that doesn't allow you to get away with a cohesive strategy as opposed to raw RNG trial-and-error.
>>
>>330920883
>Right
>unfair

Wow you're an idiot who's horrible at strategy, I beat XCOM on the first try and then got bored because of how easy it was on iron mode.
>>
File: 1452498436144.png (64 KB, 400x375) Image search: [Google]
1452498436144.png
64 KB, 400x375
>>330922680
>I beat XCOM on the first try and then got bored because of how easy it was on iron mode.
>>
>>330922680
Iron Man Mode means you can't save scum, not that it's difficult.
You were smart enough to think through your actions, but you left no indication that the game was on a good difficulty setting.
>>
>>330922632
>here are more enemies on the screen than there are people in your squad
is the price for being a retard on the strategy layer.
you can steamroll the last levels on the hardest diff if you play your card right
remember there is a button called the hunker down button. reduce almost all aliens ranged attack to 5% even behind low cover
>>
>>330922968
Both times it was on Classic.
>>
>take a swing and then strafe sideways to avoid giant monster's giant telegraphed attack
vs
>sometimes shit just goes sideways in a mission because of shit beyond your control, and that's what we train you soldiers to deal with. THE GUDEST ARMY ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH NOW KILL SOME XENO SCUM
>>
>>330921513
That would be true if the game had any proper sense of predictability in regards to the mission structure. Instead the game pulls bullshit out of its ass like mass flankings out of the fucking ether without absolutely, positively no remote semblance of warning whatsoever.
>>
>>330920883
left: easy popamole "rpg" with absolutely no semblance of stat/items/resource management. all difficulty based on the assumption that players have the mind of a 5 years old and the reaction time of an 80 year old
right: the game of life, for men.
>>
>>330920883
>artificial difficulty
you fucking plebs haven't gotten over this invented quality yet

ALL DIFFICULTY IS ARTIFICIAL. THE DEVELOPERS DECIDE HOW HARD THEY WANT THE GAME TO BE. UNFAIR OR FAIR, IT IS ALL ARTIFICIAL. SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU ASSHAT.
>>
>>330922970
Not defending him, but he said offensive actions end your turn.
So you can't hunker down once you take a shot.
>>
>>330922632
>what is the cover mechanic?
>>
>>330923398
You're a faggot.

Do you correct people for using the world "literally" incorrectly as well?

Kill yourself.
>>
>>330923398
wew lad
calm down, it's just video games
>>
>>330923414
> offensive actions end your turn
dont take it if you dont have atleast 70% then.
hunker down is there so you can close the gap and get as much % as you can get.
also flank guarding, ever heard of the word?
>>
>>330923245
>GUDEST ARMY ON EARTH
I BROKE MY TOES, I WANNA GO HOME.
>>
>>330923426
Mate, are you joking? Your guys can get killed off even from full cover at medium range. It's not even that bad a shot for the ayys, it's like a 1/4 chance of severely fucking per ayy on screen.
>>
File: 1419577495725.gif (120 KB, 208x356) Image search: [Google]
1419577495725.gif
120 KB, 208x356
>>330923398
>It's raining cats and dogs

NO IT'S NOT, IT'S JUST WATER DROP LETS, HOW WOULD CATS AND DOGS EVEN GET THAT HIGH TO BEGIN WITH, YOU ASSHATS?

That's you, that's what you sound like.
>>
>>330923398
It's a waste of time trying to tell them. They won't listen. It's not like this shit is difficult to understand.
>>
>>330920883
>le Dark Souls is best game ever
I'm glad you like your shitty non challenging, poorly optimized action adventure but not everyone is a brain dead faggot who likes
>muh challenge
>muh lore
>muh pvp
Fuck off
>>
>>330923741
>It's not even that bad a shot for the ayys
it's 25-45 with full cover and 45-60 with high. on flank it's 65 to 100.
you get much better numbers than the ayys.
>>
>>330923571
>90% chance to hit
>Miss
>Killed off next turn by an ADVENT fucker
You act like "good shot = guaranteed shot".
Have you never missed on a good shot before?
>>
>>330924107
lol
>>
>>330924107
kek
advent has 5% to do more than 3 dam in on shot on legendary you fucking moron.
>>
>>330920883
I don't think anyone legitimately believes that RNG is good in XCOM, but lets be honest: there isn't really a better way (that I can think of) to approximate uncertain battlefield conditions.

Could it do with less RNG then it has? Certainly - Long War was a step in the right direction in this regard, at least in terms of the base mechanics (guaranteed DR in cover for instance rather than a complete-coin toss was a great idea).

But even with those things you wont be able to remove RNG entirely from any game until some prodigy of a programmer comes up with a realistic way to simulate 1000 different ever changing variables that accurately represent real-life.
>>
>>330924528
>simulate 1000 different ever changing variables that accurately represent real-life.
>not rng
ayy lmao.
>>
>>330924392
>5% = 0%
Literally the entire point of my posts is "If you have shit luck, you're gonna get fucked". How are you too dense to get this?
>>
>>330923741
Hunker down, then pussy.

To be honest, if you have to rely on cover all the time then you're doing it wrong.
>>
I replayed XCOM:EU after finishing XCOM 2 and I realized how piss-easy XCOM:EU is in comparison.
>>
>>330924704
Then you should have more than 1 soldier in a barrack. Fucking moron. Do you cry every time an unit die in a rts too?
>>
>>330924746
>Hunker down, then pussy
If only it were that easy, Anon.
>>
File: image.png (209 KB, 554x838) Image search: [Google]
image.png
209 KB, 554x838
>>330924839
>Moving goalposts
>>
>>330925015
I tell you about the game, senpai. It isnt an rpg. It is a STRATEGY game where 80% of your rosters are expendable.
The game even let you tank 1-2 crit from the midgame onward. But i doubt you ever get to that point.
Alternatively, you are welcome to pull back and let overwatch take care of enemies that BREAK their cover. But I doubt your dank soles conditioned brain make you review your approach more than "run to the boss and roll better this time".
>>
File: image.jpg (559 KB, 1280x1803) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
559 KB, 1280x1803
>>330925297
>I-I bet you didn't even beat the game!
Beat it on my first run with relative ease. I don't think I ever will again, since everything past the halfway point was boring and enemies starting having obnoxious amounts of health. Andromedons or whatever they're called were especially annoying.
But it's all good, man! You have fun with your little game, do whatever you want! I'm gonna stick to the games where success is based solely on player skill.
>>
>>330925297
Problem is that replacing units goes against the difficulty curve. If your veterans get fucked by the increasing alien threat then your rookies are double, triple, quadruple and quintupplefucked.
>>
>>330923747
There's been recorded instances of dogs, cats, frogs and other small animals falling from the sky though
>>
>>330925697
>enemies starting having obnoxious amounts of health
which can all be wiped in 1 turn with a little luck (without luck you can wipe 2/3 and tank 1 hit freely) the moment they appear with the appropriate tech level and loadout.
>success is based solely on player skill.
which this game is. and to think the campaign ai of the game were nerfed to shit. and scriptkiddies enables a better one just with some .ini edit 1 week after launch.
>>
>>330925963
>If your veterans get fucked by the increasing alien threat then your rookies are double, triple, quadruple and quintupplefucked.
Which is why you should always try to have a deep roster by rotating soldiers, not 6 superheroes and 50 rookies greener than caterpillar shit in a rainforest.
>>
>>330925963
you dont "replace" unit. you mix ranks according to mission type and rating to build a good and interchangeable roster.
>>
>>330924528
It's not just RNG, the game breaks its own established logic frequently. Why are sectopods able to make two unavoidable explosive one-hit kill shots in a single turn AND OVERWATCH WITH THE SAME ONE-HIT KILL EXPLOSIVE ATTACK AT THE EXACT FUCKING SAME FUCKING TIME?!

I just had two soldiers wiped out by a Muton throwing a grenade through the outer wall of a ship. A GRENADE. THROUGH. A. SOLID. WALL.
>>
>>330920883
>left: bash your head against a wall until it finally breaks
>right: no head bashing required if you take the time to think ahead
>>
>>330927328
you may have encountered a bug
suck to be you. just reload the last turn and do something different. dont fall for the ironmeme in any game period.
also
>two ded soldiers+ one failed mission
>problem
>>
>>330927439
>left: threats are telegraphed and gesture ample knowledge to the player as to to how they work and what the likely solution is, all following an understandable and orgainically developing game logic.
>right: LOL YOU THOUGHT YOU HAD ME FIGURED OUT HERE'S SOME TOTALLY UNPREDICTABLE BS ARMY AND BS GAME-BREAKING TRICKS OUT OF COMPLETELY FUCKING NOWHBERE DESIGNED TO BE YOUR CHOSEN LOADOUT'S KRYPONITE HERE TO RAPE YOU UP THE BUMBLEFUCK
>>
File: sir ramsay.jpg (37 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
sir ramsay.jpg
37 KB, 460x276
YOU FAGGOTS KEEP ARGUING OVER DUMB SHIT IN SOME VIDYA GAME

HOW ABOUT INSTEAD YOU DO SOMETHING CONSTRUCTIVE INSTEAD

I NEED

ONE NICKNAME IDEA

ONE NEW ITEM IDEA

ONE MOD IDEA

GO
>>
>>330927439
>left: bash your head against a wall until it finally breaks
lol no. a little bit of thiking a head get you far in dank soles.
i put some point in stamina and health instead of dps and voila, most early bosses suddenly become piss easy.
it's just that acshun rpg dont typically fuck you up at the early game (and game that does have shit mechanic to makeup for it) so people think souls are some arcane shit.
>>
File: what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png
19 KB, 400x400
>>330920883
>Left: fair
>>
>>330925963
Which is why you don't lean on them like a crutch and you learn to rotate units so you have multiple viable soldiers of each class. It's difficult to do early on when you only have 4 member squads to work with but once you start getting squad size upgrades, you get some wiggle room to bring lower ranked units along and get them XP while having the more skilled vets around to cover them and clean up after any missed kills they tried to make so they don't just die.
>>
>>330927328
>the game breaks its own established logic frequently.
You mean like how in Dark Souls walls block your weapons but enemies can melee through them and kill you? :p
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.