[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you guys think simple gameplay = bad gameplay? Simple
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: skyrim_environment_1920x1200.jpg (957 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
skyrim_environment_1920x1200.jpg
957 KB, 1920x1200
Why do you guys think simple gameplay = bad gameplay? Simple music isn't bad music. Simple art isn't bad art.
>>
Anyone?
>>
>>330913004
because you are on /v they hate on everything.
>>
File: skyrimcombat.jpg (1 MB, 1350x3398) Image search: [Google]
skyrimcombat.jpg
1 MB, 1350x3398
Here you go.
>>
>>330913004
>>330913378
Simple gameplay can be good.

Tetris has simple gameplay. You can explain it in two sentences.
Minesweeper has simple gameplay. Again, very easy to explain, its simple to grasp.

Both are excellent games, and very simple.
>>
Skyrim was a fantastic experience
Gameplay was functional and had a simple but good stealth system
Graphics were decent
Art direction was amazing and the lore that 5 games built up is staggering
Story was ok, and typical wrpg stuff but it took across a nice map to really great looking and cool places
Music was 10/10, Jeremy Soule is a god
Set pieces were great
Atmosphere was perfect and the side quests were pretty awesome, especially the dark brotherhood
Daedric quests were fun, daedric armor and weapons are god-tier
>>
You're on a board filled with depressed, contrarian hipsters who desperately seek confirmation from anonymous people because they don't have real friends.

Of course they hate Skyrim, it's popular and successful, well liked by normies.

Here come the "LEL! Shit taste!" Posts
>>
>>330913004
Simple gameplay isn't necessarily bad gameplay, it works especially well for shorter games or for games that have other latches (Online FPSs, for example).
But simple gameplay in a single player RPG can be bad. They tend to be really long games, and in a game like Skyrim, where the story isn't exactly told well, it mixes together with the simple gameplay, the simple story, etc. to just make a.. safe game. That means a few hours in it becomes boring, and frustrating or a chore to play. In a video game that is a bad thing.
tl;dr Simple gameplay = repetitive gameplay + long periods of time = boring gameplay = bad gameplay
>>
>>330913004
There was nothing wrong with Skyrim it was a decent RPG that was the victim of being part of a long standing franchise stepping into the modern era of video gaming. Fallout on the other hand is a failure at stepping into the current age of video gaming,
>>
>>330913661
I don't read copypastas, sorry.
>>330913874
So Todd said that the whole concept of Skyrim is focused upon in that wallpaper: the player is gazing from the mountain at a humongous world to explore. It's not about spell mechanics, it's not about the Greybeards, it's about you finding that new dungeon or town or whatever.
>>
>>330914060
>ask question that has been answered 10000 times
>won't read the answer when provided

k
>>
>>330913930
This.
>>
>>330913004

Are we specifically talking about Skyrim?

I don't know, is Skyrim's gameplay that simple?
I guess if you just go dungeon crawling and heal yourself, then it is. But doesn't most of TES gameplay come from focusing your character down one path? I mean, even Morrowind was fucking walk in the park after level 10 or 15. That didn't stop people from enjoying it.

It takes ages to forge dragon armor in Skyrim. But you COULD skip it, if you want to. So which path is more simple?
>>
>>330913802
I bet you're one of those idiots who whine about "elitism" on /a/ or gets upset when /g/ shits on you because you asked them for help hooking up your Xbox.

Fuck off retard.
>>
>>330914060
>Todd said
IT JUST
WORKS

In all seriousness though, if that's what people enjoy, fine, enjoy Skyrim. But the thing is, if thats the only good thing to other people who find the gameplay and story bad, why is it not just a walking simulator with books and lore?
Because they tacked on gameplay that is lackluster. It's fine for a bit until it just becomes boring.
>>
>>330914218
He's not wrong. Speaking as a "patrician" in music, the contrarianism across 4chan is not based in reasonable opinions but really just wanting to separate themselves from the frat guys that have more sex than them.
>>
>>330914060
>new dungeon
You mean the one that was kind of like a loop with a few basic traps, maybe a simple puzzle or two and was filled with dragur and a slightly stronger dragur as a boss? I think I know the one
>>
>>330914404
Say what you will about Skyrim, but they made sure that every single one has good loot and is unique designed. They learned from Oblivion.
>>
>>330914384
Yeah it's all just projection and ulterior motives. God forbid anyone genuinely dislike something that's popular.

>"patrician" in music
What does this even mean?
>>
>>330914653
Forgot to clarify:

Basically on /mu/ I'm one of the few people with better taste. I can recognize that when people often say an album, piece, arrangement, etc is bad it's usually just because it's popular and biased.
>>
>>330913661
>audial
it's aural you illiterate piece of shit. Who the fuck uses that out-moded piece of shit word?
>>
>>330913004
Skyrim isn't simplistic. it's just that a lot of processes are invisible and run in the background.

but since /v/ is full of numbercrunching faggots who get off on mathematical flowcharts they somehow think it's bad game design.

I didn't think it was. more magic and weapon type variety would have been good though.
you got your poison damage on top of it too. the rest can be modded inside the game.
>>
>>330914523
But that was literally the opposite of what I implied anon, sure they stuck some nice loot in but I cant recall a single memorable dungeon in skyrim, or any for that matter because they were incredibly samey.
>>
>>330914523
>good loot

This is absolute horseshit and you know it.

The loot is still randomized garbage 90% of the time (ancient nord sword with a shitty frost enchantment).
>>
>>330914838
Everyone on /mu/ thinks they have "patrician" taste
>>
>>330913778
>Bait: The Post
>>
>>330914218
No, I don't use any of those boards, I come to 4chan exclusively for vidya opinions that aren't le reddit circlejerk upvotes XD!

You're just backing my point, though, thats cool. Your life is a meaningless meme.
>>
>>330913930
man fallout 4 what a shitty game
>>
>>330915310

As opposed to Morrowind threads on /v/?
>>
>>330914838
/mu/ is a genuinely awful board though so that isn't much of an accomplishment.

I agree with you in that sense because they don't give any credit towards certain mainstream artists. I find it amusing though how they scratch the surface of indie and hip hop music, now all of the sudden they consider themselves patricians. The stuff they like is barely different from more popular music with the exception of some fresh ideas. The only real difference with their artists and top 40 artists is popularity.
>>
File: 1402208279998.jpg (103 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1402208279998.jpg
103 KB, 480x480
>>330915512
I'm not talking about /v/
>>
>>330915409
It's true
I'm reading the skyrimcombat.jpg and I agree that it's a technical letdown
I still Skyrim is pretty much great
>>
>>330915056

The combat was very badly designed, mate.

>you can hit the armor cap with light armor+smithing, no reason to go heavy
>one handed is just flat out better than two handed
>destruction is awful until it just becomes absurdly overpowered
>items that drain/damage magicka are useless because enemy regeneration is amazingly high even at mid-level
>dual wielding is pointless
>archery is broken
>stealth is broken
>illusion is broken
>block is useless

Nothing in the game seems like it was designed to work with anything else. It's like the developers just went with the 'idea' of what works and never bothered to test it out.
>>
>>330915572
Actually I'm even talking about experimental music and classical music and Jazz. People who think Miles Davis wasn't a great Jazz musician, or that Mozart is overrated or that Debussy is shit. It's all cancerous.
>>
Simple games can be some of the best games, I will agree, the replayability and score/time-based reward system that usually goes along with them is what makes them good. With that being said sometimes I like to play complex games that challenge me on other levels, ie, high speed chess-like gameplay or involved/thought provoking puzzles. Either way Skyrim is a shitty example for whatever point you're trying to prove.

What is the point of this thread?
>>
>>330915813
why is it so great? Have you ever played another WRPG?
>>
>Why do you guys think simple gameplay = bad gameplay?

But OP, I never said Tetris was a bad game.

Skyrim certainly is a piece of shit though.
>>
File: 1457564352432.jpg (21 KB, 296x314) Image search: [Google]
1457564352432.jpg
21 KB, 296x314
>>330913004
Well simple can be good, for example, killer is dead has simple combay. Elder scrolls just has dumb, unfun combat
>>
>>330916054
I have but I prefer JRPGs
Still Skyrim is fun to walk around, listen to the great music, and feel powerful by slaying anything in your path
>>
>>330915853
Well I didn't think it was that bad there. I've only ever went there four times and it was just

>people spamming these chart threads with no name metal bands sounding identical to slipknot
>a bunch of top 10 threads with some really entry level, but not necessarily bad, music like radiohead
>some shitters genuinely believing all electronic music is garbage because it "takes no skill".

Seriously, fuck those guys.
>>
>>330916054
I've played a lot of WRPG's and Skyrim is just simply a lot of fun to lose yourself in.
>>
>>330916576
Yeah desu that's why I'm here. /v/ is garbage but at least the variety of discussion on /v/, and the overall quality of argumentative posts on /v/, far exceeds /mu/. Part of that I guess is that video games and films are much easier to discuss to a person who isn't a game designer or a director. But if you aren't a musician and are trying to discuss music, you're just going to sound fucking stupid.
>>
I simply can't enjoy anything that starts in snow, slow. The only exceptions I can think of are The Thing and Alien vs. Predator. Star Wars V is a snoozefest, The Nord sections of TESO are boring, Skyrim justs throws you into the world without properly preparing you for different builds, The list just goes on and fucking on. Use snow properly.

Also, TESO is a good game.
>>
Good uses of simplicity:

>holding back from spoiling a perfectly adequate creation with needless complication

Bad uses of simplicity:

>as an excuse for an underwhelming creation that lacks nuance, meaning and/or involvement
>>
>>330916860
That's a good point actually. There's a technical component to music that other mediums just don't have, and none of the blithering idiots over there have a grasp of music theory, production, or anything really.

All they are capable of is judging whether or not something is good, shit, or a meme, depending on whatever retarded metrics they want.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.