[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think Sonic CD is bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: sonic-cd.png (883 KB, 567x800) Image search: [Google]
sonic-cd.png
883 KB, 567x800
Alright /v/, I just started playing Sonic CD. I've gone in blind with no knowledge about anything other than the fact that it exists. I haven't completed it yet. At the time of this post I'm on Tidal Tempest 2, but I'm speaking from impressions so far.

First off, the physics in this game suck ass to me. I expected it to be like Sonic 2/3. The fact that you can only spin dash after holding the charge for a moment is very annoying. Sonic doesn't seem move nearly as fluidly as he does in the genesis games. And the physics being shit really jumped out at me during the Collision Chaos fight in that pinball machine type thing.

Second, the design of everything just seems overwhelming and inconsistent. There's just shit everywhere, some of it being stuff I can't even make out. I've also got hit by enemies just because the screen is crowded with shit and the enemies can blend in or be unnoticed, at least to a first timer anyway.

And lastly for now, the level design itself just seems weird, and at times bad. I think this was Collision Chaos 1, where Metal Sonic comes in and takes Amy, at the start of that level, I just started to run as you normally would do in a Sonic game. About 2 seconds in there's spikes right there and I immediately ran into them and died. Then Amy came in with hearts over her head. I was confused as hell at first, but then I laughed at that happening afterwards. Still that should have been just a wall instead of spikes or they should have given you some rings there. I know there's some dickish stuff in the other games, but those things at least happened after checkpoints, having rings, and not at the start of the damn level.

Overall my impressions of this game aren't good so far. I remember reading a thread about this before, and some anon said this game is overrated, with many flaws that people overlook because they circlejerk this game. Starting to seem like he's right.

So anons, your opinions on this game? Maybe advice if you have it?
>>
>>330909605

It's level design is a cluster fuck. It's music is great. Spindash is shit. Sonic 2 is better overall.
>>
>>330909605
you can patch the game to use sonic 2 spindash
also the remake uses sonic 2 spindash

>I think this was Collision Chaos 1, where Metal Sonic comes in and takes Amy, at the start of that level, I just started to run as you normally would do in a Sonic game. About 2 seconds in there's spikes right there and I immediately ran into them and died.
lold. its more of a reactions thing

idk the game is alright but time travel doesn't add that much to the game. also one of the later levels , "wacky workbench" is pure ass. the game would honestly be better if it wasn't there.
>>
I think it's one of those things where it's better than most people say it is but worse than the defenders would argue
>>
>Time travel
>"Wow this looks neat."
>Never bother doing it on any subsequent playthrough ever.
>>
>>330911096
Don't. The levels are designed where there is about one spot you can time travel and if you fuck up you don't get a second chance. You just have to have enough past lamps to try again.

All it should have had was a button or something to travel through time, or maybe if the level design wasn't so obtrusive. As it is just stick with the genesis games.
>>
>>330909605

Sonic CD becomes God-Tier in subsequent playthroughs when you're going for Good Futures in all zones. The game's mechanics start to open up and all the odd design decisions start to make sense.
>>
bumping for more input
>>
The Taxman port is genuinely superior to the original.

Original had shitty collision detection, the special stages were almost impossible.

It fixes both of these, AND it has widescreen support, which is fantastic in a game like Sonic.

Now if only the other games came out for PC.

S3&K was planned, and even prototyped, but SEGA doesn't want it.
>>
I kinda like it more than the Genesis games because the levels are more explorative, rather than just focusing on going right to win. S3&K tried to pull this off as well but were still too linear.
>>
So it sounds like literally any version that isn't the original is better, port, hack or otherwise. That's pretty hilarious. Guess I'll restart with another version then. If nothing else, I'd at least just like the Sonic 2/3 spindash. That alone would make this game feel so much better.
>>
>>330911480

I'm not sure if you worded that wrong but every level is pretty generous with the signposts and I'm pretty sure every level has a dedicated section to make TT piss easy without having to actually "earn it" so to speak.

I don't get the complaints about time travelling. Sonic 1 was all about having to earn your right to keep going fast (fuck up and you're stuck on a longer/slower bottom path or outright death) and the time travel mechanic is a natural extension of that.
>>
>>330914961

I thought Sonic CD had an equivalent of the spindash along with the super peel out, though I guess I'm wrong and that's only in the various ports.

But yeah if you're gonna play the game, the 2011 remake is the way to go.
>>
>>330914961
What's so hard about doing a peelout and then holding down immediately after?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCSL7naH-8A
>>
>>330915624
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYW7-hNXZlM
>>
File: 1457936539775.jpg (33 KB, 378x408) Image search: [Google]
1457936539775.jpg
33 KB, 378x408
>>330915518
>Look this up
>"Hold up and press the button"

What the fuck. Anyway, I'll still be playing another version since anons recommend it + they fixed things apparently.
>>
>>330912378
This. The level design is based entirely around the time travel good future mechanic. It's actually my favorite sonic title.
>>
10/10 sound track, and the best aesthetics in any Sonic game, but I'm not a fan of the level design/gameplay.
While trying to put exploration in a Sonic game may sound cool on paper, trying to find the projector thingies and whatnot in each level is just a huge pain in the ass.

But for real the soundtrack and art direction are amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr9i7w60Gm4

3>=2>CD>1
>>
>>330915873
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCJz33hKDR0
TROUBLE KEEPS YOU RUNNING FASTER
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYTedTVAdeY
Best US track.
>>
File: Palm Tree.png (926 KB, 5120x3584) Image search: [Google]
Palm Tree.png
926 KB, 5120x3584
>>330917748
>>
File: sonic cd.png (80 KB, 1502x875) Image search: [Google]
sonic cd.png
80 KB, 1502x875
Brilliant level design.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.