[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is indie game dev one of the hardest jobs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 7
File: EXTREMELY COMPLICATED PROBLEM.jpg (19 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
EXTREMELY COMPLICATED PROBLEM.jpg
19 KB, 259x194
Things you need to know:

>Math
>Basic Physics
>Programming
>Machine learning to make good AI (heavy math and algorithms involved here)
>Game design
>Music design(how do you call this)
>Story design (^^^^ character design, plot,. etc)
>If you use a game-engine you have to learn how to use it(aka unity/UE4)
>Draw(for making the character designs and stages if you make a 2d game)
>Sprite making(if you make a 2d game)
>3d graphics

you anons can add more stuff to the list
>>
>>330898547
You know a dev team, even an indie one, has multiple people with different skills and task?
>>
All the above is massively blunted if you use an engine.

The real problem is getting it done.
>>
>implying
With current off-the-shelf engines, you don't need programming.
>>
>>330898547
The only indie dev I can think of that actually did everything on his own is Pixel.
>>
>>330898547
>people, team, and project skills if you actually plan on having anyone else work with you

Though the skills you need is highly dependent on a number of factors, including project depth and what the game actually is. A simple platformer can be done in flash does anyone even fucking use that anymore? or game maker.
>>
IF you're doing everything yourself, you can make simple games like retro arcade clones using:
>Algebra
>One programming language
>Randomly generated music
>Ripped sprites

Basically it's piss easy.
You don't need "physics" because you're not making a physics simulator that has to accurately represent the interactions between heat transfer and air pressure or shit like that, you're just moving an object in 2d or 3d space, which is entirely math.
>>
File: absolutely-disgusting.jpg (74 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
absolutely-disgusting.jpg
74 KB, 720x540
>>330898849
>Ripped sprites
>>
>people need to know how to do the job they want to do.

WOW MORE NEWS AT 7
>>
>Math
Only enough to understand how to rewrite math so a machine can understand what you copied from wikipedia
>Basic Physics
Need no more than kindergarten-level physics knowledge.
>Programming
Undertale dev seemed to have done fine without
>Machine learning
Few games have ever used proper machine learning. Why the fuck would a fucking indie dev need it?
>Game design
kek
>Music design
Or just buy a couple of royalty-free tracks
>Story design
It's rare to see indie devs who can actually write for shit, and they still seem to be doing fine regardless
>Engine
Oh no, you have to spend a week or two studying an engine that literally does everything for you, so you can coast by with no talent of your own.
>Draw
>Implying
Have you seen the amount of pixelshit we've been getting lately?
>3d
Fuck-all indie devs do 3D graphics, because it takes actual talent to make something that doesn't look like complete ass

Being an indie dev these days takes fuck-all skill to do these days. Just start up that kickstarter campaign, and read up on gamemaker while you wait for the money to roll in, so you have some cash to spend on shit other people made, so you have some graphics and sound to stuff in your "game".
>>
>>330898547
>sound production

which i specialize in and am looking to work on some stuff around here
>>
>>330898547
>>Machine learning to make good AI (heavy math and algorithms involved here)
>Classifiers are needed to produce simple AI.
Nope. The math ain't that heavy either.
Also it's a search based question, not a classification based question.
>>
>>330898547
game developing is incredibly hard these people are delusional and im not sure what motive they have behind straight the fuck up lying ITT besides maybe they want everything in life to be easy
>>
>>330901487
>Hard
Nah.
Takes a fucking long time tho.
>>
>>330901487
No, it's hard to make something good.
Making your average indie trash is incredibly easy.
>>
>>330898669
this message was brought to you by sales management
>>
I made an RPG Maker game when I was 12, I must be a genius.
>>
>>330901613
>>330901587

these are hot opinions

thanks guys! tasty

are you games into coding? interested in making games?
>>
>>330898547
>Is indie game dev one of the hardest jobs?
99% of people who call themselves "indie devs" on twitter:
>Can write.
>Can't even write well, they can just write.
>They can also formulate ideas.
>Not good ideas, just ideas.

All the rest of the work:
>Done for free by someone else.
>Done by specific programs.
>Someone else tricked into doing it for free.
>Some behind the screen "partner".
>>
>>330902171
ITT: shit on hard working people with dreams, while anon does nothing with his life
>>
>>330902138
yeah as i thought you fucking idiots

keep talking out of your ass, while i manifest myself into digital reality
>>
I'm an alpha tester for Exanima by the indie studio Bare Mettle. This one programmer made an entirely new engine from fucking scratch and I have nothing but the utmost respect for this guy. He's totally insane too, working 12-14 hours a day. Some people are just awesome.
>>
>>330902405
*hardly working
Fixed it for you.
>>
>>330902609
what do you do?
>>
>>330902653
Sit on my ass doing nothing, like most indie devs.
>>
>>330902405
>ITT: anon makes incorrect implications
I was referring to people describing themselves on twitter as "indie devs" not to actual indie devs.

Are you one? Kudos to you if you work hard.
>>
>>330902714
nah, you're jealous people have something to do with their lives and you never considered being much
>>
>>330902738
why even make that discrepancy?

OP didn't mention twitter, you're shitty negative brain just wanted to regurgitate a shitty negative opinion
>>
>>330902892
he is so happy he has someone to talk to on a message board though. Why do you even waste your precious time good sir?
>>
>>330902892
>projecting
I know basically everyone in this thread is projecting but Im going to point out your example cause I dislike you the most fag.
>>
>>330902738

He came here looking to get his dick sucked because of how great he is, which do you think he is?
>>
>>330902892
>Indie dev
>Doing something with your life
The vast majority amount to nothing, and get nothing but a couple of years of poverty in return for their efforts, before they come to their senses and get a real job.
>>
>>330902986
OP didn't mention twitter. But I did. Can we not mention other things now? So now I am a negative for having an opinion. Oh gee how mean of you to say.

Shall we get into it? The indie scene has exploded in recent years and not all of it is good. A lot of the hard work is glossed over because a few high profile people know the right people, have the friends in right places and get others to do work for them.

This isn't to say the whole situation is negative. There is a boatload of creativity out there, for example.

Maybe when you grow up you will realise that criticising one aspect of something doesn't mean you are criticising the whole thing.
>>
>>330898547
making games is only hard because its a lot of work
half the things you listed are only marginally relevant to game development
>>
>>330903048
>>330903089
>>330903163

i would say something like its really sad you need to try and shit on people with a trade because your lives are worthless, but its not sad because you boys are lazy, talk about a waste of time, while you hate, i create, i propel myself into the 5th dimension

this is why you will not succeed
>>
>>330903529
>while you hate, i create
No, you're shitposting on 4chan, same as us.
Can't wait to see you 10k word blog post about how gamers are terrible, and doesn't even deserve your $30 masterpiece, after you fail to sell more than a handful of copies of your Unity-based walking simulator.
>>
>>330903453
you are negative clearly when you say "99%" of games devs on twitter are hacks and all the above

you came into this thread with a negative shitty attitude admit it lol

its painfully obvious you are a hater, and now you are retaliating against me? yeah go ahead bring about your complaints and criticism of the gaming market after you lick the dirt off the feet of all the game developers that have designed games for you to dump your time and life into
>>
>>330903923
99% isn't a clear fact, it is meant to be an overexageration. Do you not understand that?

Did you honestly just use the word "hater"? You are either a troll or plainly retarded.
>>
>>330903841

look at you trying to delude reality because you cant handle the fact that i am fucking working on an everyday basis to make my dreams come true

i love it, it makes me feel good to know it makes you feel like dirt
>>
>>330900762
>>330902171
yeah, I was talking about a GOOD indie dev
>>
gamedev here

yea it's hard, mostly because it's time consuming, games android games take months to make, and steam games take years usually, if they are rushed they most likely end up really bad
>>
>>330903453
>A lot of the hard work is glossed over because a few high profile people know the right people
This is exactly why modern indie games are so fucking terrible.
People think their game deserves to sell, simply because they put a lot of effort into their games, and when it doesn't sell, they blame everyone but themselves.
>>
>>330904097
yeah lol do you think thats a good basis for an argument

you are a hater, plain and simple

you are someone who cannot enjoy themselves so you need to hate others to feel any semblance of a life, in this case game devs that you dont know jack shit about
>>
>>330903529
I was about to suggest just that why don't you propel yourself into the 5th dimension instead of answering this idiot.

Anybody who even just tried programming will understand it's not something you can learn in one night. You might be able to do cool stuff but when you want to shape what you're thinking of, you'll come across TONS of problems which might never occur to you in 3 months straight of thinking and planning.

This is where the actual fun begins, too bad you're missing out just being a bitter moron it's very self rewarding.
>>
>>330904253
>yeah lol do you think thats a good basis for an argument
Did you even read this post for my argument:
>>330903453
You didn't address any of the points.
>>
>>330904325
lol who are you talking to bud

wrong guy
>>
>>330898547
>Game design
>Music design
>Story design
Wtf you're making up words or design goes with everything?
I guess your parents were bad at child design.
>>
>>330904138
Funfact: Your dream will, statistically, never come true.
The market is overflowing with indie trash, and there are not enough customers to go around. Your shitty indie game will be lost in an ocean of shitty indie games. It doesn't matter how much effort or sweat or love or whatever you pour into it.
But hey, keep at it and get it out of your system. Reality will catch up with you soon enough.
>>
>>330904503
last sentence was for the other guy
>>
>>330904343
no i didnt

did you read mine?

it was addressing your first comment in which you were blatantly being a bitter little hater which you still cant come to terms with
>>
>>330904520
The faggot literally said that he doesn't know how to call those.
>>
File: 1444376397655.jpg (21 KB, 332x320) Image search: [Google]
1444376397655.jpg
21 KB, 332x320
hey,, I'm indie dev and I'm making a new playable world to skyrim.
support my paeton

>Story design
>Game design
I have a huge skill list. everything else is already finished by others
>>
>>330904520
Game design exists, like I said in the post I didn't really know how to call the other 2 as they englobe many things. I guess you have a bad sight design
>>
File: Witness.jpg (959 KB, 1368x1500) Image search: [Google]
Witness.jpg
959 KB, 1368x1500
>>330904607
Keep being mad then.
>>
>>330898547
Holy shit. Incredible meme. I am actually mad.
>>
>>330904574
hey

i pity you

maybe one day you'll get the gumption to do something yourself, you won't have to focus on my work at all

you're clearly afraid
>>
>>330898547
Being a single mother is the hardest job, actually. You retarded nerds know nothing about life. Move out of my fucking basement and while you're at it, unwreck my vagina. Thanks.
>>
>>330904595
well im 5th dimension guy, and i was arguing that game dev is a hard job that people and especially consumers of games don't appreciate and also dont see as viable work, which is delusional because there is power at these peoples' fingertips to create
>>
>>330904751
im not mad, im satisfied i exposed your hypocrisy

because as soon as you realized you were being a hater you tried justifying yourself by then trying to make a compelling argument
>>
>>330904719
>bad sight design
Epic comeback.

If you knew you are going to write bullshit then why did you write it in the first place?
Game design would include everything you listed.
Your post is like those marketing lists including the same thing several times just to lengthen the list.
>>
>>330904948
im moving out this weekend mom i told you

why didn't you take my to NYC with you you horrible bitch

all because i wouldn't shave!! you are one crazy bitch mom, i love you and enjoy yourself but just know im the only person on this earth who can handle you
>>
>>330904948
You're welcome!
>>
>>330904856
>maybe one day you'll get the gumption to do something yourself
Yeah, like getting a real fucking job, instead of chasing a pointless dream.
Keep on wasting your time though. Enjoy your years of work culminating disappointment and failure.
>>
>>330905062
You are mad. Because you have clearly taken something as an insult. And when explained you have continued to whine on about it. It isn't hypocrisy to explain your argument in full. That isn't how discussions work.
>>
>>330902138
>>330902556
haha wow u mad kid, I do AI research. Neural networks aren't used for shit like games. Enjoy your life. Maybe some shitty derivate of it, but not real machine learning principles.
>>
>>330905482
assuming others failure is easier then securing your own success i guess
>>
File: 1329968489172.png (111 KB, 447x352) Image search: [Google]
1329968489172.png
111 KB, 447x352
>tfw i know only 3 out of 11
>tfw i try to make my dream game and always hit a snag.
>tfw i will never see my game completed.

Thank god i have a day job.... i guess...
>>
>>330905563
nice kid

because neural networks aren't used for games, that means game devs are lazy and their job is super fucking easy but they are all broke because they are stupid

you sound delusional bud
>>
>>330905540
nope not mad bud
i think we are friends engaging in a friendly conversation and i enjoy your presence here

next time check yourself before you shit garbage out of your ass, or you might get exposed for the flim flam faggot you are bitch

get fucked up
>>
>>330905589
Be honest anon, does your shitty one-man indie dream game even remotely resemble something people might actually spend their money on?
Does it even have an original idea to it, or at least a loose concept that isn't completely overdone?
>>
>>330898547
Indie game dev is something you do if it's your passion. If you wouldn't be making a game in your spare time while working another job, then you shouldn't be an indie dev.

Same with being a musician or a painter.

Otherwise you're a hack.
>>
this thread is fucking shit
>>
>>330905906
i dont make games
>>
>>330898667
I wish.
>>
>>330904951
im a software dev and i think it's very funny how people are entitled to software that works perfectly and is also upgradeable and efficient and how they want it made in 1 week because if you test it you're obviously missing half your brain and they also want you to give it for free,

yet when you want to show them how much work is getting done here they stop showing any further interest

maybe if you had balls or something to show for we could compare our work you insecure little shits.
>>
File: 2.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>330905361
>Game design would include everything you listed.
do you even know what game design is?
>>
>>330898547
If you're a one-man team, then yes.
Otherwise it's standard stuff.
>>
>>330906097
Please enlighten me about what (You) know about game design.
>>
You can copy all of those except the artistic stuff from other people who have made those things. And even then you can use place holders, and since 8 bit 2d shit is the norm you don't have to put much effort to make something people are satisfied with.
>>
File: 1421786512345.jpg (346 KB, 1104x1104) Image search: [Google]
1421786512345.jpg
346 KB, 1104x1104
>download popular game engine designed for literal retards
>steal basic code for platformer and tweak some values to make it "yours"
>hire a hipstershit "artist" to make pixel graphics for you
>hire a hipster shit indie 8bit musician
>slap everything together
>open a twitter account circlejerk about niggers in video games
>open a patreaon, create some drama
>>
>>330906425
>answering with a question

so you don't know what it is yet you engage in a discussion about it, fucking lmao.

you basically apply 'designs' to your game, one example would be making new enemies appear isolated so the player can know how to react to them, or making bosses quite hard so there's a feeling of acomplishement when killing them(dark souls makes this very good).
>>
>>330905880
Jesus you are pathetic. You are the bitch crying about shit and stuttering about how much you love the crap that goes on in the industry.
>>
>>330905454
Your dad was the only person on earth who could handle me, and he left because you decided to spawn out of my pussy. Go figure how much I love you.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.