[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So Valve added sorta-paid-mods to Dota. Except instead of buying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4
File: dota-2-official.jpg (124 KB, 1191x670) Image search: [Google]
dota-2-official.jpg
124 KB, 1191x670
So Valve added sorta-paid-mods to Dota.

Except instead of buying it, it's a subscription for cosmetics/p2w stuff.

Thoughts?
>>
>>330894474
>dota 2
well I don't live in a third world country so I don't give a shit
>>
>>330894474
If it can support the creator, then I would gladly to spend a bit of money for them :)
>>
>dota 2

Poor man's moba.
>>
>>330894474
>The company that literally tried to not pay its own event staff is making mods pay2win

Not really surprised, this is the only way they can creep in paid mods since their fiasco last year.
>>
there's no p2w stuff
>>
>>330894474
Source?
>>
>>330895295
http://blog.dota2.com/2016/03/supporting-custom-game-developers/
>>
http://blog.dota2.com/2016/03/supporting-custom-game-developers/
>>
>>330895248
In the case of Roshpit Champions, the entirety of the game's content will be available to players who are playing for free. The premium pass offers the following benefits:

Increased Character Save Slots (4 -> 12)
Increased Stash Space (6 -> 24 slots)
50% increased chance of finding rare items and 10% EXP gain, which stacks with other players. ??????
>>
>>330895345
>http://blog.dota2.com/2016/03/supporting-custom-game-developers/
So it's actually true huh. Guess that means I'll need to start deleting certain costum games.
>>
>>330894474
>p2win stuff
What's pay2win in DotA? Did I miss an update?
>>
oh sure for custom games. there's still no p2w for dota
>>
this ruins the whole point of customs and now they'll be shitty phone games.
>>
>>330895723
Pretty much this, sadly.
>>
>>330895463
So they're using valve servers to hold the extra slots, etc and you're paying for it. Doesn't seem that bad, at least for this game.
>>
>making custom games pay to win

i never played custom games

and now i never will
>>
>>330895578
Naw its pay to win for custom games
>>
>>330895974
>I DESERVE the things for free
>the incentive for the devs to make any content for me should be ZERO always and at all times

I love this meme
>>
>>330894474

Welp. Dota 2's custom game scene is now gonna be SC2: Electric Boogaloo.
>>
>>330896227
its already mediocre
>>
>>330896152
>he thinks this will lead to these custom game creators becoming actually successful

epic
>>
>>330896227
I Think the tools were too complex / non-flexible to reach the status of early SC2

Why did Blizzard have to mess up a thing of pure beauty?
>>
They'll only allow it for the most popular ones, and it's up to the creator how much they jew you for it.
>>
What's the fee? 90%?
>>
>>330896227

>Element TD costs 5 bucks.

>Implying I'm not going to pull a 360, log out, and hop the fuck on battle.net and play it for free

Fuck you, Valve
>>
>>330896702
40%
>>
It's ok when Valve does it!!!
>>
>>330897131
It's ok then. For developers! Greatness awatits! Dota is not a game is a platform.
>>
>>330897028
You're not paying for access to them you illiterate moron.
>>
Kinda related, thought on this? I think is cool
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/autoattack/legion-td-2?lang=es
>>
>>330896437
>implying it hasn't already happened

it's like you don't even play games :^)
>>
I'm amazed they did something worse than Battle.net 2.0.
>>
>>330896152
>i DESERVE to be paid
It can go both ways.
>>
File: 1439703462984.jpg (35 KB, 499x585) Image search: [Google]
1439703462984.jpg
35 KB, 499x585
Before this reaches 200 posts of retardation, for anyone too illiterate to read the announcement:

Q: Will games still be free to play?
Yes. All custom games will still be available for free, even if they offer Custom Game Passes.

Q: Why does a Custom Game Pass last 30 days?
We want a system that encourages developers to work hard to continue to support their games, and for fans to be able to reward developers if they are happy with the work the developer is doing. For custom games to be successful in the long term, they will require ongoing updates from their creators, and a cheaper but limited activation period allows players to continually reassess their choice to support a game if they think it’s going in the right direction. It also allows players to have a clearer understanding of what content a pass offers at any given point in time.

Q: Will a pass renew automatically?
No. Custom Game Passes are not subscriptions, and will not renew automatically.

Q: Are there any limitations on overly-aggressive systems creators might implement?
Creators should focus on rewards that provide premium value to pass owners without harming the experience of users who have not chosen to purchase a pass. If we see custom game developers implementing reward structures that are not in line with those goals, we will work with them to improve the design of their system. If necessary, we will suspend a custom game's ability to sell Custom Game Passes.

Q: What if I am unsatisfied with a Custom Game Pass?
Players have up to 48 hours after purchase to try out a Custom Game Pass and make sure it matches their expectations. Check out the Steam Refunds page for more information.

So no, this is not Paid Mods 2: Electric Dotaloo.
>>
Fuck the noise, tell me about what custom games are up right now. What's Roshpit Champions about?
>>
>>330898405
>this is not Paid Mods 2: Electric Dotaloo.
You're right, this is the beta version. In 2 years you'll witness it's Final Form.
>>
>>330898137
>Make content
>I must be payed

or

>make content
>it must be free

Which makes more sense. Even if I open up MS paint and draw one pixel then put it on steam It is up to me if I want to give it for free to charge 100 USD for it.

YOU don't have to pay for it. I'm not gonna force you to pay and it's pretty shit so most likely no one will. No one will buy my shit. Why do people think that because it's on the internet different rules apply?

Do you go into a store and think this pasta tastes like shit so it should be free?
>>
>>330898595
Just try it out man.
>>
File: Frog-in-Boiling-Water.gif (25 KB, 250x220) Image search: [Google]
Frog-in-Boiling-Water.gif
25 KB, 250x220
>>330898405
>Creators should focus on rewards that provide premium value to pass owners without harming the experience of users who have not chosen to purchase a pass.
>""""""""""""""""should"""""""""""""""""

>So no, this is not Paid Mods 2: Electric Dotaloo.

Yeah its not, its something worse.
>>
>>330899081
Not gonna download Dota again if there's nothing fun in it. My internet is crap.
>>
>>330898595
it's a survival defense mode, except every hero in it is an overdesigned piece of shit with every skill spammable and huge particle effects all over your screen so you can't see or hear anything because the screen is always full of explosions
>>
>>330898405
>Creators should focus on rewards that provide premium value to pass owners without harming the experience of users who have not chosen to purchase a pass.
WHY
>>
>>330898405
tl,dr but I guess custom game pass will have:
1. Comestic Item (aka hats).
2. Pay 2 not grind.
>>
>>330894887
At least in league you can substitute currency for skill.>>330895170
>>
>>330895463
None of this affects gameplay at all though. Its still just cosmetics. If dota adds anything that alters gameplay I will find something else to play.
>>
>>330898996
You're the one dropping the hammer on someone choosing not to embark in this endevour.
"Oh, this has paid features now? Fuck this, i'm out." is as legit as someone demanding to be paid for it.
No one demanded the content, no contracts were signed, you created and spent your time on it from your own volition. Don't expect payment. It's optional, and one of the options is to walk away. Criticizing it or not on your way out is also optional.
>>
File: 1457118742021.jpg (8 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1457118742021.jpg
8 KB, 300x300
>>330899381
>Grinding in custom games
>>
>>330899328
Because ethics. We all know the gaming industry is all about good practices that favour the consumer. What? There's no contract to bind them to their word? Oh well...
>>
>>330899083
This is pure capitalism. If a creator wants to add game changing benefits for money, they can. However, players don't have to pay for it. They can choose to not pay for a pass, or simply not play the mod at all. The creators who benefit from this the most are the ones who use the pass wisely to create desirable content without turning off the (presumably much larger percentage of) players who will not buy a pass for whatever reason.
>>
>>330894474
jews gonna jew :^)
>>
>>330899987
>Increase finding rare item
>not less grinding
>>
>>330899758
no it's not "Paid features, I'm out"

It's

"Paid features? THEY SHOULD BE FREE. Also I'm still staying". If you don't agree then they should not be supported just that simple instead of taking it a step further and demanding this feature should be removed. Why take away the incentive to make content away. It's not forced on you and it's a step to prevent the scene from dying since there are already better alternatives like Unity, UE4, etc.

>No one demanded the content, no contracts were signed, you created and spent your time on it from your own volition. Don't expect payment.

Fucking exactly. Except what I'm saying is that they should be allowed to charge what ever they want for whatever content they want to release. The consumer does not have to buy whatever shit they try to sell though.

It's their right to charge for content

It's your right to not pay for it because you don't agree.
>>
>>330900378
Those are only some items tied to the custom game, no (cause Roshan Champions is RPG-something I think)? You can't find hats in custom games.
>>
>>330900512
Anon, the other guy just said he won't play custom games. That's it. Valve can charge, shutdown or spent it all coke and burgers. Offcourse they can. Just as everyone can say "Fuck you, i'm out.". There's no should. There's only "is" and "was". And for 2 decades, mods and custom content were free, apparently this isn't enough anymore and we need to encourage people.
Honestly, it's just the creation of a market and part of a process.
First there wre games.
Then came expansions.
DLC's came to be.
Pre orders and Season Passes.
Early Acess.
Now it's paid for user generated content.

I don't even get angry about it, just get baffled about how deep this rabbit holes can go.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.