[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would /v/ make JRPG turn based combat NOT boring and engaging
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: turn based combat.jpg (201 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
turn based combat.jpg
201 KB, 1280x720
How would /v/ make JRPG turn based combat NOT boring and engaging for the player?
>>
you can't please everyone
turn based is for smart people
real time is for dumb people
stick to real time jrpg's OP
>>
Be able to switch out party members
Party member positions are useful
Items are useful
Stat boosts/debuffs are useful
Status effects are useful, even on boss battles
Monsters have randomized equipment/skills
>>
>>330875796
Fast, but OTT animations. All the flashy stuff to keep dimwits such as myself engaged, but without having to sit through stupidly long animations every time.
>>
>>330876049
So SMT?
You got good taste then anon.
>>
File: Lightning returns.png (1 MB, 766x1272) Image search: [Google]
Lightning returns.png
1 MB, 766x1272
do this
>>
Add positioning as an important part of battle
Not just the positioning of your characters, but the positioning of the enemy (which some of your abilities can both take advantage of as well as manipulate)
>>
>>330875967

this

i don't have to please you, go play something else if you can't control your add

companies trying to please you is whats ruined jrpgs
>>
File: 1411866215454.gif (2 MB, 400x332) Image search: [Google]
1411866215454.gif
2 MB, 400x332
>>330876157
Status ailments work on bosses in SMT? I just might have to check that out.
>>
>>330875796
Give the player ADD meds.
>>
On the fly character switching
Timed hits
QTE spells and abilities.
Positions
Bosses are actually mini games in and of themselves and have patterns and abilities you have to figure out.
Can skip over shitty lowlevel battles but you lose most gold and exp.
The most powerful attack and spells are not always the best course of action.
PRESS X FOR MOTHERFUCKING AWESOME abilities with their own littl minigame attached.
Characters all have seperate unique talents that can and should be used in a battle in certain ways.
>>
File: 745.png (211 KB, 327x316) Image search: [Google]
745.png
211 KB, 327x316
JRPGs aren't supposed to have fun gameplay you stupid retard, they're about easy shallow number grinding and a cast of anime tropes to keep the autist content while mommy has Tyrone over.
>>
File: EO1Protectors.png (511 KB, 1469x503) Image search: [Google]
EO1Protectors.png
511 KB, 1469x503
>>330875796

also pic related got turn based battles right

the difficulty alone means that a single turn can decide whether or not you're dying. it's tough to be bored with battles when you're constantly on the verge of death
>>
>>330876049
Kind of like Dragon Quest? Doesn't have randomize monster ability but everything else is that.
>>330876380
SMT takes a lot of what makes Dragon Quest amazing and adds a monster system too it. There's plus a minuses to that however since you might need to do research on things like Fusion. Dragon Quest tends to give you all the tools you need but it's up to you to use them right.
>>
File: b924c78f.jpg (29 KB, 324x207) Image search: [Google]
b924c78f.jpg
29 KB, 324x207
Bravely Default and Bravely Second have the best turn based battles of all time.
>>
JUST
>>
Orphan scion of fate.
>>
>Every turn you get ten points to spend
>You start with six random options costing between 1-10 points each
>You get about 10 seconds to start your turn and 5 seconds between each option
>Some options have special effects after others, for example using a water attack and then an electric attack causes additional damage
>After each turn, you get plus one option plus another you attacked that turn

It could be quite interesting too if you could influence what kind of options would come up by investing points.
>>
>>330875796

I'd put more focus on character customisation.
In most jrpgs this stuff is mostly obligatory. you get new skills, you get better equipment but in the end it's just for dmg boost instead of playstyle variety.
I'd give the player more possibilities to play around with skills and equipment to create all kind of builds and synergies.
>>
copy undertale
>>
>>330876380
Not really. As an example, Trumpeter in SJ has a spell that can inflict every ailment in the game.
Tried during boss rush mode I would get something like poison only lasting for 2 turns, 20 damage each time.
>>
turn order manipulation and enemy positioning (radiant historia)
buff/debuffs mattering and team composition (smt)
status effects matter (etrian and pokemon)
party composition (pokemon)
job system, but only if you have a small amunt of characters in your party.
>>
>>330877082
That's sounds like the tlr system. Not exactly but close.
>>
>>330876797
WHAT IS THIS SMT
>>
>>330876921
that's not SMT. press turn is far superior to that boring BP system
>>
>>330875796
give it actual roleplaying
nobody plays these for the game play anyway
>>
>>330877784
Shin Megami Tensei, you pleb.
>>
>>330877290
>SJ is the only SMT game
>>
>>330877784
Shin Megami Tensei. World ends and heaven and hell are at war on Earth. You negotiate with angels and demons to join your team. Fuse them to make different creatures to help you fight. Everything has some weakness and strength you have to know. The only problem really is that unless you know what is next you can easily get fucked over by a random encounter. If they get a jump on you and happen to have a spell that one of your team mate is weak against than you are more than likely to see a game over.
>>
>>330876612
This is literally the first RPG I've played since Mario RPG because I never liked turn-based battles. It's fucking intense, so yes.

>>330876243
Stop it, boner.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.