[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are you excited for the Paradox/Obsidian announce? http://
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: image.asp.jpg (51 KB, 278x318) Image search: [Google]
image.asp.jpg
51 KB, 278x318
Are you excited for the Paradox/Obsidian announce?

http://humanresources.paradoxplaza.com/
>>
>paradox
No thanks, I don't have several hundreds of dollars for a complete game.
>>
Hope it's Pillars of Eternity 2.
>>
>>330866127
So what are the possibilities?

>Pillars of Eternity II
>World of Darkness/Vampire RPG
>?
>>
two mediocre, overrated fan-pandering devs teaming up? sounds great!
>>
>>330866592

I think they said it wasn't WoD related.
>>
>>330866629
stop with the lies
>>
>>330866592
>evil theme of the quiz
They've bought the rights to Dungeon Keeper?
>>
>>330866665
>questions are all modern urban themed except the underlings one
It's probably WoD or WoD styled with all this
>barista
>latte
>going to work
garbage.
>>
>Paradox
>Sawyer's Obsidian
>>
If it's anything but Pillars of Eternity 2, I'll be disappointed. I want more from that world.
>>
>>330866720
vampires can't drink coffee dumbass
>>
When is the announcement?
>>
>>330866830
I doubt it's PoE2 because we already KNOW that is in the works. Hell, we've known before the first expansion for the original was released. It's probably a new IP and they confirmed it's not WoD recently.
>>
>>330866830
how can anyone actually LIKE pillars of eternity's world? it's a more boring version of D&D with more unpronouncable proper nouns and the big world-shattering plot twist was already made in the first game
>>
>>330866720
The first question when they said they had an announcement was if it was WoD they said on facebook was that it wasn't WoD.
>>
>>330866663
he's not wrong though.
>>
>>330866868
>they confirmed it's not WoD recently.
Then what's the point?
>>
>>330866864
5PM PST
>>
Wasn't Obsidian doing some sort of Pathfinder game for tablets? Paradox has published mobile games before, so maybe they're just publishing this one for Obsidian.
>>
>>330867080
I fucking hate when publishers hype up mobile garbage that literally no one, who would actually see the hype, cares about.
>>
File: you think this is a game.jpg (51 KB, 562x359) Image search: [Google]
you think this is a game.jpg
51 KB, 562x359
>>330867080
They still are. They're actually doing couple of smaller projects these days as opposed to few big projects so when one gets cancelled they have to fire 20 people as a result.
>>
sticky when
>>
>>330866629
To be fair. Paradox are more of a publisher than a dev, and a fairly okay publisher all things considered since they seem to allow the developers to do their own thing.
>>
I need to find a way to murder rpg codex posters
enough is enough
>>
Why are all you guys talking about Warlords of Draenor
>>
>>330866629
Paradox has published
>Pillars of Eternity
>Cities: Skylines
>Knights of Pen and Paper 1/2
>Magicka 1/2
>Mountain Blade
>Warlock 1/2

Plus all of their own games. I think their track record is pretty fucking good as a publisher.
>>
File: 227071-chris_avellone2.jpg (41 KB, 274x400) Image search: [Google]
227071-chris_avellone2.jpg
41 KB, 274x400
>it's not that game idea that Avellone talked about ages ago in various interviews about playing in a world where Sauron stand-in won and it's now dark fantasy where all your typical races are fighting a guerrilla war to stay alive

PoE was the first game where his overall absence was genuinely felt. I wonder if it's going to get worse from now on.
>>
>>330867387
They get a lot of flack for DLC(Development Studio games and Magicka being the main culprits) but yeah, they leave that stuff up to the devs. If they want to ruin their games with to much DLC then they can, if they don't then they can.

That and their are one of the few publisher that still do a lot of strategy/management type games and they take a lot of risks on indies and smaller devs. Which is nice.
>>
>>330867553
I blame the joyless black hole that is JE Sawyer
>>
File: 1366252204135.jpg (147 KB, 500x540) Image search: [Google]
1366252204135.jpg
147 KB, 500x540
>>330866127
>mfw it's going to be Fallout 4 DLC or Fallout 5
>>
>>330867553
You could feel how he was pretty limited in New Vegas as well, not too much, game still featured a lot of his signature style, but there were pangs of Sawyer taking on a creative role there.
Pillars felt a lot like a BioWare game with a few unconventionally well-written characters. I actually struggle to say that I like it, despite how well it matches my criteria for a good RPG, it's just lacking the charm and brainy edge that Avellone brings. I'm happy that he showed that he's very much able to do really dirty, down to earth writing, much like VtMB.
>>
>>330867553
As much as I liked PoE the writing in that was really pretty mediocre.

Didn't know when to say enough is enough, narrative was pretty boring, characters were pretty uninteresting.

It just felt like, when you spoke to a new character you didn't go "oh, I wonder where this little encounter will go", it was more just "okay, let's get through this wall of text then".
>>
>>330867671
Why would Paradox publish a game from another publisher?
>>
I rekon full time devs should try making DLCs for games. Imagine if Obsidian made a neat little Viking Conquest style Mod of Warband sell it for 10 bucks, takes 3-4 months, probably a billion times better than all the other mods out there, make some side cash for what is not THAT much work (compared to actually making a game.)

Devs should make mods. Tbqh.
>>
>>330867878
I don't know. I don't give a shit.
>>
>>330867716
>You could feel how he was pretty limited in New Vegas as well, not too much, game still featured a lot of his signature style, but there were pangs of Sawyer taking on a creative role there.
You are a fucking idiot. Sawyer was lead on FNV, John Gonzalez fleshed out main quest and wrote some stuff like The Survivalist (but you don't even know who Gonzalez is, obviously), Avellone wrote Legate, Cass and Veronica in the main game and was lead on 3 out of 4 DLCs, which is very obvious since they feature those larger-than-life characters he is famous for. The point is, base FNV doesn't feature "a lot of his signature style". Meanwhile, it was Sawyer who pushed for stuff like more player freedom and being able to shoot every quest NPC in the face without completely breaking the story.
>>
>>330867990
Licensing costs though!
>>
>>330866895
I liked it, mostly because there hasn't been a good D&D game in a decade.
>>
>>330868838
Also Eric Fenstermaker is still on the team, he was responsible for, among other FNV-related things, Vault 11 and Beyond The Beef (there's a recent interview with him on RPGCuckdex where he reflects on the fact that Beyond The Beef was nightmarishly complex and a huge pain to test, while V11 was relatively really simple, and much more people appreciated V11 and its simple, linear story than the complexities of BTB.

Though he also was the lead writer on PoE and self-admittedly fucked up a lot.
>>
File: 4kXqbF5.jpg (175 KB, 708x679) Image search: [Google]
4kXqbF5.jpg
175 KB, 708x679
>>330869006
>Though he also was the lead writer on PoE and self-admittedly fucked up a lot.

How you go with a single pass script in a game like that is beyond me. Especially when writing is one of Obsidian's strong points.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.