[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>mfw body awareness is NOT the standard yet. Why not?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7
File: body awarness where.gif (3 MB, 750x280) Image search: [Google]
body awarness where.gif
3 MB, 750x280
>mfw body awareness is NOT the standard yet.
Why not?
>>
>>330861223
It's just a gimmick to me, and doesn't add much unless your character is bound to melee attacks, or is something inhuman like the xeno in AvP. Otherwise, it just clutters your fov
>>
File: 1449052187501.jpg (72 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1449052187501.jpg
72 KB, 1024x768
>>330861223

Because being able to see your own legs doesn't sell games to mainstream audiences. Just like tons of other features across various genres that used to exist but don't anymore.

You should know how the industry (not just this one but all industries) work by now.
>>
a) significantly compromises both first person camera animations and third person body animations
b) expensive and difficult to implement. better to spend dev time on more valuable features
c) ruins immersion when it doesn't match your real life body
>>
>>330865342
>ruins immersion
I don't think there's anything more toxic in videogames than immersion. FATASS, you're not a fucking hero, you're playing a fucking videogame. Like people who can't get "immersed" because they're playing as a chick, nigger are you kidding me?? Bitch just enjoy this world the devs have created, they have also given you an original character to enjoy it with. This guy/girl is not you, it's not supposed to be you. Immersive (walking sims) games are lame as fuck.
>>
>>330861223

Because making animations match your movement is hard and you would need to compromise. Either you'd need to sacrifice control for better animations (Assassin's Creed), or sacrifice animations for better control (F.E.A.R).

And you know how much the modern game industry likes graphical quality and animations. You'd have a game that's a piece of shit to control and horrible to play, but looks nice in that pre-release epic trailer that is meant to sell preorders.
>>
>>330865342
>better to spend dev time on more valuable features
Like what? Modern first person games don't have features.
>ruins immersion when it doesn't match your real life body
Oh, this post was bait, sorry for replying then, guess here's your (you)
>>
>>330865342
>ruins immersion when it doesn't match your real life body
Do you have brain problems or something?
>>
>look down
>see legs
>"Cool."
>never care again

And that's why developers don't waste their time on it. If you're going to let players see the body, make the game a TPS instead.
>>
File: 1188399.jpg (82 KB, 566x296) Image search: [Google]
1188399.jpg
82 KB, 566x296
>>330861223
>>mfw body awareness is NOT the standard yet.

You're playing the wrong games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeNr-clG54U
>>
>>330861223
>fear
Everytime
>>
File: an_hero.jpg (67 KB, 600x340) Image search: [Google]
an_hero.jpg
67 KB, 600x340
>>330861223
>mfw TP isn't a mandatory option in all failed plebeians' shitware
>>
>>330861223
no body awareness + your character not casting any shadow + sprint fonction + auto regen + iron sight + absence of good ia + shitty corridor level design

this is what's killing the fps industry.
>>
>>330866690
body awareness is all this game got
>>
>>330866637
This. Body awareness is just a buzzword nobody cares about. It's video games we're talking here, not the fucking holodeck.

Not everyone is so desperate in his escapism as OP. Most people simply want to play the game.
>>
>>330861223
It takes time and effort to implement and it usually adds nothing to gameplay.
>>
>>330865583
Calm down fatty
>>
>>Fear
Are there any mods worth checking out for this?
I've played vanilla plenty of times, but considering re-installing it.
>>
>>330866637
It usually decreases my immersion because the animations look stiff and unnatural, plus the model always looks fake because it's so close to the screen. Why people are so obsessed with it, I have no idea.
>>
>>330866917
There is literally NOTHING wrong with sprint option and iron sight. I agree with the rest.
>>
>>330865342
>a) significantly compromises both first person camera animations and third person body animations
Could you elaborate? I fail to see how either is true.
>>
>>330865342
> immersion
i play games BECAUSE i dont want to be reminded im a huge fatass
i wanna look down and see a suit of nano armor, bulletproof vests, booker's goddamn suit and tie or whatever
let me be someone else than the worthless walking blob i am
>>
>>330866986

Not to mention that body awareness can break the immersion in many ways. Firstly, your animations can mismatch what the player thinks the character should be doing in the context of control input. Secondly, focusing on animations can have an adverse effect on the controls themselves. And thirdly, in real life your limbs are never blocking your vision. You instinctively move them out of the way when trying to look at things. A game doesn't give you that control. In my opinion the best way to simulate full control of your body in a game is to have minimal body awareness. The control is always more important than the visual.
>>
>>330867141
This.
>>
>>330867232
Holy shit
Please cheer up; you're not worthless
>>
>>330867232
How does looking down in a game and seeing nothing but the floor remind you that you're a worthless blob?
>>
>>330867332
because like other mentioned, if i dont see something else, all there's left is for me to immerse what i really am and put that there
>>
>>330866690
>>330866690

Shittiest fucking sequel, and ending.

Mass Effect tiers of bullshit right there.
>>
>>330867280
>focusing on animations can have an adverse effect on the controls themselves
Thief 3 and Thi4f are the best examples of this.

>The control is always more important than the visual.
And the first two Thief games are good examples of this. You could only see your arms, but the use of sound effects, momentum, and responsive controls gave a better impression of the character's physical presence than the later games.
>>
Surprisingly even Call of Duty has it now
Black Ops 3 has it
so pretty much every game should have it now
>>
>>330867520

Stop being me, anon
>>
>>330865342

how the fuck do you get immersed in a video game, I don't understand it.

Like someone explain it to me.
>>
>>330867106
Did you play the expansions? They're pretty good.
>>
File: 1391538437181.png (704 KB, 797x450) Image search: [Google]
1391538437181.png
704 KB, 797x450
>>330865583
>anything more toxic in videogames than immersion
What? Are you kids for real? Where do you come from?

Suspension of disbelief in first person games is the bread and butter.
>>
File: 79971.jpg (42 KB, 504x175) Image search: [Google]
79971.jpg
42 KB, 504x175
>>330866440
What why? The fuck are you talking about?
Why are you talking out of your ass, it's neither hard nor performance heavy. Or at least it doesn't have to be.
>>330865342
You forgot d, you are talking out of your ass. It's neither of those, good lord you kids.
>>
>>330868513

I know Ubisoft is shit but if it isn't hard to reconcile control with animations, then how do you explain the fact that the AC franchise has animations that match very well the situation the character is in, but the game is barely controllable and it's just taking wild guesses as to what the player is actually trying to make the game do?

And the opposite example of that is Dishonored, where 100% of the focus is on making the controls absolutely responsive without compromising anything for the sake of animations.
>>
I prefer an "all or nothing" approach. TimeSplitters just had guns hovering in front of the screen, no arms or legs or anything, and that was great. Total immersion. And Crysis had full body animation and self-cast shadows and that was great, too. What pisses me right the fuck off is the halfway point of having two hulking arms that aren't attached to any body. I wouldn't call it an immersion breaker but I'd much rather have just the floating weapon model without arms if they're not going to bother doing a body and self-cast shadows.
>>
File: 1453073449306.jpg (96 KB, 1280x951) Image search: [Google]
1453073449306.jpg
96 KB, 1280x951
>>330867485
>Shittiest fucking sequel, and ending.

The following itself was fine, but the story in both games (especially the endings) were megashit.

You play Dying Light for the gameplay and preferably you never finish the following and just fuck around with races and shit.
>>
>>330861223
God, bioshock infinite was so fucking shit.
>>
>>330869210
But the gameplay is literally doing the same shit over and over: the game
>>
>>330865583

kill yourself 2bh
>>
>>330869307
>But the gameplay is literally doing the same shit over and over: the game

Not really, sidemissions and main missions are pretty varied for the kind of game it is.
>>
>>330865342
>c) ruins immersion when it doesn't match your real life body

So the muscled military arms holding a 6 feet long rifle matches the average player real life body?

But not some trousers?

You're a huge retard who has no idea what immersion is. Why is /v/ king at using words it doesn't understand?
>>
>>330861223
>Went back and played GTA SA on PS2
>Working fucking mirrors in the clothing stores

On the fucking PS2. Not the gamecube, not the xbox, but the pee ess fucking 2. How can that handle a mirror, but a SUPERCHARGED PCS4 can't?
>>
>>330868941
That's their design of choice which leads to animations being fluid and seamless.

Have you seen some of their dev diary videos? Basically every single ramp which you can jump off from "knows" about the location of every other ramp around it and has an individual jump animation it chooses for each and every one of them.

The player might think he's jumping in a direction and the character "grabs" the ledge because it detects he's close to it, but actually the jump and ledge grabbing has already been decided and played out before he even jumped, and all it has to do is present the action to the player.
>>
>>330869864
Explain immersion o wise one.
>>
>>330865583
>Toxic
>Not a hero
Try harder next time.
>>
>>330867106
http://www.moddb.com/mods/fear-mmod
that's pretty much it, and this also fixed the glitching shadows issue that I was having
>>
>>330865342
>it doesn't match your real life body
Oh i get it, amerilclaps can't see their own feet too.
>>
>>330870163

Yeah it's a design choice all right. The choice to give players less choices. The single worst thing I've experienced playing the AC series is the game deciding for me where I'm going. The jumps aren't pre-programmed. They home in on the most logical (according to the locomotion AI) alternative. If there is none, if the platform you were trying to reach is one millimeter too far away, you jump forward-right into the river and drown, instead of forward, the direction you were actually instructing the controls to go to.

The animations are fluid and seamless. The game looks good when you watch someone play it. Because that's all that matters. You need to sell the game to people who can't play it until they've already paid for it.
>>
>>330870308

Immersion is when the game never does anything unexpected with the interface it gives you. Buttons don't contextually do unrelated things, movement speed doesn't arbitrarily change, control isn't suddenly restricted for no reason, and the ingame experience is seamless with no cuts or loading screens. You don't go into menus to play minigames where your movement keys suddenly switch to manipulating a "hacking interface" -as if your thigh muscles are somehow operating a computer. When all these things are just right, the game can become an extension of your nervous system, where you stop feeling the disconnect between your perception and reaction and the game's response.

...then there's also something about realistic graphics and other bullshit that doesn't really matter.
>>
>>330867835
You have to forget you are playing a game.
The same as being immersed in a book, you stop seeing words and just visualise everything.

Tbh Its getting harder as I get older
>>
>>330867220
usually the player can see their shadow, or parts of the body, so any action they take in the game has to have a reasonably realistic animation played on the body

problem is, a typical third person animation has the head move around a LOT. Too much for someone to bear if their camera was naively attached to it. so you end up having to make these weird body animations that don't move the head around too much, keep it pointing in the right direction, etc. These animations look bad if seen from outside the body.

now consider that when you turn in a first person game, it's a rotation around the camera location. But if the camera is attached to the head on a full body model, the head will be leaning forward slightly. so now you turn, it rotates around some point slightly in front and this feels terrible. OK so let's redo all the animations but keep the head weirdly and unnaturally in the middle of the bounding box.

on top of that, in real life your arms are usually held below you, where you can't see them. you don't need to see them because you can feel them. ok. but in a videogame you often need to see your hands to see what weapon you're holding, see the attack animation, see the interact animation. so again, you're forced to build this weird animation where someone lifts their arms up higher than they should so the player notices them. now try doing a run animation where the guy is holding his arm(s) up like a velociraptor. you begin to see the problem?

if your game is multiplayer or has an actual third person camera mode, then you're even more screwed trying to make all this fit together.

usually in third person animations you apply smoothing when changing directions so the feet and legs don't pop. this feels awful and unresponsive in first person. so what do you do?

you would be amazed at how much time and money goes into a system like this, and it always ends up janky compared to a game that has no body and animates the camera freely as needed.
>>
>>330871191
If you're the person I replied to before, I think I misinterpreted what you were saying. I agree.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.