[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Suffering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: The_Suffering_coverart.jpg (22 KB, 256x329) Image search: [Google]
The_Suffering_coverart.jpg
22 KB, 256x329
Anyone here remember this game? One of my favorite games of all time. Great action/horror mix. Also had some great characters.

Dr. Killjoy anyone?

"When performing a lethal injection, it is essential that the needles be placed with absolute precision. And unlike standard medical procedures, with a lethal injection you have a patient who probably does not want the procedure to occur. Therefore, it is of vital importance that the restraints be tight and strong. Even with that, trouble may arise, and it may be incumbent upon the practitioner to take matters into his own hands, using whatever sharp, bladed objects he may have on his person. Lacerations to the body at strategic locations may put the patient into a state of shock, making him far more pliable, or at the very least, causing him to bleed to death, thus achieving the desired end. And, who are we kidding? We're not really trying to be humane anyway. Class dismissed."
>>
>>330852939
I remeber playing that game on xbox. It funny because I get the shit scarred out of me by newer games like the evil within, but when I was younger I never flinched when I played that game.

I dont remeber a lot from that game, but I do remeber a part where you are running around around the grounds of the prison, and there is a giant flaming crater leading into the game with those creatures with blades for limbs popping out of it. I remember really enjoying it.

Never played the sequel though.
>>
>>330852939
Damn right man, actually played through it not long ago.

It was one of my very first horror games, and I believe it's the reason horror is my favorite game genre.

Really sucks that it seems more or less forgotten these days.
>>
>>330854446

Ahh yeah I remember that. I didn't get scared by the game much either. It certainly felt like a scary game. The atmosphere was perfect. The lore of the island was set up nicely, the character's interactions with you and the world was done well. It has all the right ingredients to be a terrifying game, but it didn't scare me. I think it's because you feel like such a badass playing Torque. He also doesn't speak so it's one of those games where you can insert yourself into the character. You're not really worried about your character dying because obviously nothing is going to happen to you the player.

>>330855191

I never have met anyone else who has played it besides my brother until I made this thread and you both replied. I've played it at least 10 times. throughout the years. I always get totally immersed in it when I do and I finish it in a few days.
>>
>>330855720
I played through it last year for the first time since I was a kid, expecting it to be mediocre and shitty when not viewing in nostalgia goggles. I was so fucking pleasantly surprised to find that it was even better than I remember, just wasn't as scary. Fucking great game.

Also, it's pretty much fucking impossible to find in stores now, not sure why that is.

Did you ever play the sequel?
>>
>>330852939
I should play this, I remember I almost got it one time, but ended up picking another game instead.
>>
>>330856115
Get it bro. Don't go into it expecting Silent Hill or anything really mind blowing, it's just a really fucking good game with great atmosphere.
>>
>>330855971

I bought the sequel from gamestop years ago. Tried to play it and it got frozen at a specific level just a few hours into the gameplay. Returned it for another copy and had the same problem at the same spot. I bought another copy from a completely different gamestop. Same problem.

Never found out how to fix it so never could playthrough it. I was pretty upset about it.

If anyone is looking to play the original game though, it's free online. Just type "The suffering free" and you should find a link.
>>
>>330856248

This. It's not going to terrify you. It has this sick and twisted atmosphere to it that will draw you in. I always played as a good character who tried to save everyone I could.

I tried an evil playthrough once and killed the first gaurd you come across who trusts you to watch his back. Immediately felt bad and restarted as a good character again.
>>
One of my favorites. Sad it's series is dead.
>>
Playing it right now, I'm enjoying it so far. Gonna try and get the good ending but I'll probably fuck up and get something else.

Also, why the fuck does this game take so much damn memory card space? I still have GTA Vice City to finish.
>>
>>330856352
That's really fucking weird, I actually just got it for the ps2 and I haven't started it yet. What part was it? If it happens to me that'll be ridiculous.

>If anyone is looking to play the original game though, it's free online. Just type "The suffering free" and you should find a link.

Holy fuck thanks
>>
>>330856579

Keep in mind that you have to be careful when setting up the audio. One of the options, if you check it there will be no sound at all. Reinstalling doesn't fix it either. I had to do a windows restore and reinstall it then and do the other audio setting.
>>
>>330856579

I honestly don't remember. Some time after I came across this boss fight against a guy that had hounds with him. Copperfield the slave hunter.
>>
>>330852939
Fucking awesome game, I remember you could enter a removed beginner level where you fight some guy in the cage with police officers cheering around you.
It showed you that turning into a demon doesn't actually change your appearance, you only think it does. Pretty cool how it suggest you literally rip other monsters with your bare hands.
>>
Question: have any of you tried playing the suffering or its sequel through a ps2 emulator on the PC?

I've never tried a ps2 emulator but I remember reading they are unreliable compared to other emulators. Some ps2 games just can't be emulated it seems. I wonder if the Suffering 2 is emulatable. I want to try playing it again but I don't even think I still have my old ps2.
>>
File: Metal Arms's Glitch.jpg (119 KB, 485x500) Image search: [Google]
Metal Arms's Glitch.jpg
119 KB, 485x500
this game is M.A.G.I.T.S tier

good, and nearly completely forgotten by the critics
>>
Really liked the design of the Slayer and its Captain. Wish someone out there made an HD model.

>>330857813
> rip other monsters with your bare hands.
It actually only happens if you have Good Morality; good means you rip them apart due to adrenaline. The reason for "transformation" changes depending on your alignment.
>>
>>330858823
You're still not actually turning into the monster that you're seeing. That's what he was saying.
>>
>>330858341
Does it have to be emulated? Didn't the games have PC versions?
>>
>>330858948
I know. That's the scene that gets flashed a lot in the sequel. It also makes you wonder about Blackmore, and just what he represents in Torque's mind. Damn it Midway, why did you have to go bankrupt
>>
File: 1454297425204.png (45 KB, 156x210) Image search: [Google]
1454297425204.png
45 KB, 156x210
>>330852939
>a younger me reading about this game in the old pom CVG gaming mag
>that demon mechanic that relies on your moral choice as whether you chose good, neutral and evil.
>mfw looking at all those gory depictions of guards hanging from the ceiling at half torso
Suffice to say I never got the chance to play it, was it as good I thought it was?
>>
>>330858948
>You're still not actually turning into the monster that you're seeing. That's what he was saying.
Yes, and why would he lie, right?
The ending states that a giant version of the monster "you just imagine to turn into" is seen by an uninvolved third party, which makes the good doctor´s conclusion rather suspect.
>>
>>330859143
Absolutely one of my favorite games like other Anons have said definitely not terrifying but still has a dark twisted atmosphere and going rip and tear on demons was always a good time
>>
>>330859603
>rather suspect.
Some players suggest that the girl that Killjoy fucks is actually Torque's mom. That the reason that the doctor follows Torque around is not his condition, but because they're related. It's a stretch, but eh..I for one want to know if Killjoy's still alive in the film, if he can be considered a "hologram", or if he's legit ghost
>>
>>330856248
>>330856510
cool, I'll definitely get around to playing it.
I've been hurting for some decent horror games, and it seems like I can only find them if I replay older ones that I passed up at the time.
>>
>>330852939
I played this and the sequel.

I actually played the sequel first because i didn't even knew there was a first game. It also took me around 7 years to finish the game because i got stuck at the sewer level and, at the time, i didn't knew english very well.

Around 6 or 7 years later i had the chance to play the game again since i bought a bunch of games from a friend and he also had a copy of the game, them the memories came back and he had stopped playing near the same level. Them i got to the part where there's a bunch of military dudes that you have to kill and activate a lever to drop the water level.

I was supposed to press the lever and climb the box so i could go down with it(but the 10 year old me didn't knew that).
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.