[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Doing the tutorial, how the fuck do you find tracks?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: UnRealWorld.png (241 KB, 803x621) Image search: [Google]
UnRealWorld.png
241 KB, 803x621
Doing the tutorial, how the fuck do you find tracks?
>>
Anywhere an animal has walked in, they have their own migration routes, feeding spots and such like and finding those is kinda map-specific and takes a while. Just walk around (you'll probably find animals faster in real-world time on the world map but you might stumble across said migration routes and find tracks before you find animals if you travel zoomed-in), although since you have to find tracks, marshland or some other softer ground would be preferable (or snow, if you started in winter/spring). Tracking skill in the world map isn't worth using, mind you.

If you just want to complete the tutorial mission right now, find a village and loot at the human tracks there.
>>
>>330845596
Ah, I see. How do you talk to people, exactly? And is there a better way to hunt?
>>
File: LqsWj.png (50 KB, 440x221) Image search: [Google]
LqsWj.png
50 KB, 440x221
>>330845061
>>330845596
Anyway, it's worth noting that the density of wildlife and other such details have plausible values. Hunter-gatherers couldn't expect to find a meal every day and neither can you in this game.

>>330846087
The command for talking with people is 'C'.

As for hunting, in the long-term it's all about trapping. But since the most effective and reliable methods (a long fence with holes that guide prey to trap pits, possibly hundreds of meters or even kilometers long, pic related) take time to get started, you're probably going to do a lot of hunting on your own. Hunting dogs make this much easier but you probably don't have one either at this point so it comes down to a successful ambush or most probably persistence hunting. Find a prey animal, try to get close (paying attention to the direction it's looking at is more important than using the stealth skill, although it might help), usually several squares away from it, and then throw a javelin/spear or shoot a bow at it. This is extremely unlikely to cause it to fall dead immediately but with some luck you'll injure it which makes the next phase easier (particularly if the wound is big enough to leave blood marks): you track it until it's too exhausted to run and then you kill it. Sneaking is worthless in this phase, and ideally you should alternate between running and walking such that your speed isn't decreased from fatigue but you can usually just walk. You should also travel rather light in order to keep up with the animal easier.

In other words, play like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o
>>
>>330846995
Maybe I'm an idiot, but I'm in a village and trying to track and not finding anything.
>>
>>330847774
The chance of tracks being left depends on the terrain, very clear tracks are left in deep snow while rocky surface probably won't ever have any kind of visible tracks. The tracks should be visible on the map like this. Maybe the village center has too hard ground for tracks to be visible, try looking at the outskirts a bit.
>>
>>330848224
maybe I'll reroll in spring. Is there a way to ice fish?
>>
>>330848801
Yes, you make a hole in the ice (with fishing, 'alt+f', or drinking, 'q', command) and then fish normally. Ice that is in the process of melting is dangerous, though. I haven't played during spring in this latest patch but I could imagine it being a more difficult start now, precisely because of melting ice.

I don't really know what your problem is, really hard terrain or really low tracking skill or whatever, but I wouldn't start over for petty reasons, just keep playing and keep an eye out for tracks. You're probably going to die a bunch of times anyway before you get to a secure position for the first time.
>>
What is this game?
Tell me about it
>>
>>330849561
Survival RPG/roguelike in magical ancient Finland.
>>
>>330849561
UnReal World, survival roguelike taking place in Iron Age pseudo-Finland.
>>
>>330845061
Is this game as autistic as I am hoping it is?
>>
>>330849561

starvation simulator, you gather food and try to build a bitchin ass log mansion. Eventually someone will shoot an arrow in your eye killing you instantly
>>
File: normal_1368282211.jpg (246 KB, 650x899) Image search: [Google]
normal_1368282211.jpg
246 KB, 650x899
>>330849561
It's about historical Spurdos
>>
File: 1397568619130.jpg (299 KB, 655x903) Image search: [Google]
1397568619130.jpg
299 KB, 655x903
>>330850459
>>
>>330850521
thanks couldn't find the translated version
>>
>>330850161
Well, it's one of those games where nothing is left to abstraction but I'd argue it's also one of the few games where spreadsheets have come full circle and it in fact simulates reality well enough for the game to be very intuitive (the numbers are also obfuscated such that you really don't have a choice but to go by intuition since the game doesn't let you powergame and crunch the numbers).
>>
>>330850161
it's basically dwarf fortress adventure mode with less goblins and more slowly freezing to death.
>>
>>330849448
I'm in a spruce mire, for reference.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.