[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are video games getting worse or is it just me? The standards
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: 4545.jpg (267 KB, 1024x512) Image search: [Google]
4545.jpg
267 KB, 1024x512
Are video games getting worse or is it just me? The standards are dropping at least.

Don't get me wrong, there are some aspects that are superior in every way to older games, things such as gameplay & story are severely lacking.

I'll take Call of Duty as an example, 15 years ago reviewers would call it out for it's shitty gameplay and yearly cash-grab, these days they score highly, the same goes for FIFA and other yearly sports games, I know these games are better than they were 15 years ago, but the standards have dropped so much these games are now considered good. There's so many other games that fall into this category of scoring highly despite being shit or done to death.

Seriously, what the hell happened? Did everyone just lose their creativity or is it more of a case of "Seinfeld Is Unfunny" so it's just recycling?
>>
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE NORMIES DID THIS
;)
>>
you grew up
>>
Criteria for judging games changed, now people value multiplayer over a well crafted single player experience.
Not to say multiplayer games definitely didn't exist back in the day, but they're far more prominent than they were, where now pretty much all of the top selling games are multiplayer.
>>
>>330820048
>Are video games getting worse

In some ways. I would say gameplay is taking a back seat to the cinematic experience.

>Seriously, what the hell happened?

Standards went down because publishers could get away with it since casual players entered the market with open wallets. The the big buget cinematic experience is what sells today.
>>
>>330820048
It's just you. Technical progress is slowing down obviously, but vidya is just as fun.

And what the hell are you on about, CoD started almost 15 years ago and everyone loved it. As for yearly cash grabs, classic Final Fantasy comes to mind. That shit came out almost every year and now people think is was great.
>>
File: Sell what makes money.jpg (372 KB, 1365x1586) Image search: [Google]
Sell what makes money.jpg
372 KB, 1365x1586
Game company's started making games to sell instead of using the new technology to make something great. It was all about what the producers want not the developers.
Same thing happened to anime
>>
File: 20070910141625.jpg (72 KB, 450x323) Image search: [Google]
20070910141625.jpg
72 KB, 450x323
>>330820048
The movie industry invaded the gaming now we're going to see stuff that just works, rehashes, terrible game ideas that shouldn't exist like at all and more marketing then you can shake a salt shaker at.
>>
Everything has to be "cinematic" now, so a lot of the time you're not even playing the game just watching cut-scenes and scripted events with the occasional button prompt to pretend you have any control. Actively playing a game allows you to invest in what you're doing, you ignore the shitty plot and awkward animation because you are more interested in building tanks and/or killing aliens. Taking control from the player allows you to focus on the story, the acting and the graphics more than ever before and those things turn out to be pretty bad.
>>
>>330822342
No, only problem with anime today is that it's filled with hipster douchebags who refuse to compromise. Back in the 90s, almost all anime included a bit of fanservice, and the creators didn't give a fuck. That's because everyone understood that working with a large group of people meant they couldn't always get their way. Today, everyone acts like it's fucking torture to be expected to include a few seconds of moeshit in a 30 minute episode. So you have this ridiculous divide, where anime is either SUPER SERIRUS BUSSINZES or KAWWAIII UGUUU.
>>
>>330824925
>everyone acts like it's fucking torture

Because everything is moe shit.
>>
>I'll take Call of Duty as an example, 15 years ago reviewers would call it out for it's shitty gameplay and yearly cash-grab, these days they score highly, the same goes for FIFA and other yearly sports games

But that's wrong. Are you underage?
>>
>>330824925
Theres always been fanservice and moe but it wasn't always in such high demand.
>>
File: 1423282899539.jpg (32 KB, 560x407) Image search: [Google]
1423282899539.jpg
32 KB, 560x407
>>330820187
except they actually did
>>
>>330826579
Of course he is. That's why he's making a "hurr things were so much better before" thread. He has no fucking clue what things were like 15 years ago, he wasn't even born yet.
>>
>>330826030
>pretending an exaggerated generalization is a fact
kek
>>
games are becoming too expensive to make so publishers aren't willing to let their devs go crazy. they play it safe, they copy what other franchises have succeeded in doing. i think this is why indies have had a surge in popularity in the past five years.
>>
>>330831376
/thread
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.