[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did you realize that difficulty has no bearing on video
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
When did you realize that difficulty has no bearing on video game quality?
>>
i feel preety good when i beat a game that i put effort to get good at
i bother to put effort into getting good at the game because of its quality
so i guess it does have some bearing?
>>
When I was a kid, because I grew up with gen 3.

You either learned to love ragemode difficulty, or you never played anything but Mario.
>>
The opposite.

I never cared about difficulty growing up into adulthood but games are so disgustingly easy now it ruins them completely.
>>
>>330819664
but thats wrong

games that are too easy or too hard detract from the game being fun, and any quality assessment of a game should include how fun it is.
>>
>>330822289
Discovery is far better than any pattern recognition / trial and error sequence and Kojima proved it in MGS 3.
>>
>>330820410
Sense of accomplishment is nice enough but that gameplay model exhausts itself and leads to no new designs.
>>
>>330823415
>implying it's about sense of accomplishment after beating the game and not heightened enjoyment and a rush while playing the game

And the last part of your post is just completely nonsensical.
>>
>>330824294
Anyone can design a pattern based gameplay. And it's always the same problem. Trial, error, overcome.
>>
>>330819664
FEETS
>>
>>330824658
The point isn't whether the game is pattern-based. You can have tough or easy pattern-based games as well as tough or easy non-pattern-based games.
>>
>>330825425
Point is that pattern based gameplay is the least imaginative way to design anything.
>>
>>330819664
>Monster hunter
>all the monsters die in one hit

>Dark Souls
>All the enemies are passive

>Mario Kart
>all the AI just sit still

>Smash
>All the enemies suicide

See where we are going with this?
>>
>>330825686
Towards strawman fields?
>>
>>330825873
Do you even know what a strawman is? Im directly refuting your argument that difficulty is irrelevant but proving these games would be totally pointless without challenge.

Dont use words you dont understand.
>>
>>330825992
Stop being condescending retard, sperg.
>>
>>330826136
Dont use ad hominems either, it just proves you have no argument and no point to stand on.

But considering that is the case ill just leave you to wallow in your own thread.
>>
>>330826412
Ad hominem is just an insult, you braindead witless prick.
>>
>>330826412
Nce strawman, fag
>>
>>330825587
No, no, you don't seem to understand.

My post didn't quote anything, and doesn't have to apply specifically to pattern-based games.

But you saw "gen 3" in it and it triggered whatever anti-pattern autism you seem to be suffering from.

My point, which I know better than you, is simply that games being challenging is not a bad thing.

Let's use your own example of MGS3. Would the actual gaming sections of MGS3 have been as enjoyable if the AI was just completely braindead and the game offered no challenge whatsoever?

Now, of course, there are people who would say that, in the opposite scenario, if it had been made "too hard," with enemies that were much more intelligent and powerful, that this would be a bad thing. All I'm saying is that I disagree with that mentality. As long as the level of challenge in a game is intentional and well-designed, rather than being purposefully cheap or resulting in shitty game design/controls/bugginess, then high difficulty does not detract from the actual quality of a game. It can detract from an individual person's enjoyment of the game, but it does not mean the game was poorly made.
>>
>>330826519
an ad hom is the suggestion that an argument is wrong because of some aspect of the person delivering the argument
>>
>>330827040
>But you saw "gen 3" in it and it triggered whatever anti-pattern autism you seem to be suffering from.

strawman etc
>>
>>330827147
>>330826881

Fallacy fallacy you cunt
>>
File: really.png (178 KB, 299x273) Image search: [Google]
really.png
178 KB, 299x273
Oh let me guess: the most important thing in vidya is story?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.