[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any games that are incredibly simple, yet in practice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: go-result.jpg (106 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
go-result.jpg
106 KB, 403x403
Are there any games that are incredibly simple, yet in practice they have virtually infinite gameplay complexity?
Only one I can think of is Go.
>>
Riichi Mahjong.
>>
>>330818952
>go
>simple
>>
>>330819098
Simple rules (unless you count a bajillion minor rules), complex gameplay.
>>
>>330819098
>implying it's not
Go's complexity is emergent. The basic rules to the game are extremely simple.
>>
Conway's Game of Life.
>>
Melee
>>
>>330818952
>tfw you were sort of hoping for a complete 5 game sweep by AlphaGo, but were also rooting for the human underdog

It's a complicated sort of feel
>>
>>330819206
Emergent complexity is sexy as fuck, and I really don't think programmers appreciate it enough.
As a thought experiment I made a P2P search engine algorithm, and it turned out that the very simple algorithm that wasn't even designed to fetch similar as well as exact results was capable of doing that anyway.

>>330819214
It has game in the name, but it's not really a game!
Just a rule of cellular automata.
Go is the closest thing I can think of to Conway's Game of Life as an actual game, because Go uses rules not unlike cellular automata.
>>
So is there a place where I can play go with other people RL?
>>
Tetris
>>
>>330819567
>I really don't think programmers appreciate it enough.
I don't think programmers or gamers in general appreciate it enough. If you ever go to a dream game thread, all you ever see is people screaming about more and more and more features with zero thought as to what those features actually do for a game and how they interact with other features.
>>
>>330819758
KGS: cgoban
PandaGo2
>>
>>330819567
I was partly being facetious about Life. But hey, I guess it could simulate any turing-recognisable game.
>>
minecraft's redstone mechanic?
>>
>>330819098
Go is so elegantly simple that if extraterrestrial intelligent life exists, they're almost certain to have a game that's similar to go.
>>
>>330820102
What of it?
It has no use because basic gameplay achieve the same results much more easily.
>>
>>330819758
kgs
>>
>>330819845
>tfw employing physics simulations in a game could also counteract aimbotting by having no clear border between an enemy player and the rest of the world
>tfw there are ways all kinds of ingame simulations could be done far more efficiently than they are now
>tfw almost every new FPS is no more advanced than Team Fortress Classic
>>
tetris
>>
>>330822009
wat
>>
I still don't understand how scoring works.
>>
>>330818952
I'd play the game but it'd be depressing to play a game that is virtually unknown outside of Asia and has only ever had a single Western pro player in its multi millenia life.

Perhaps if I am born in Asia in another life.
>>
Melee
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.