[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vagrant Story
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: vagrant-story.jpg (101 KB, 1010x758) Image search: [Google]
vagrant-story.jpg
101 KB, 1010x758
How do i git gud at this game?
I already read through gamfaqs threads, but all they do is link to other threads or say that the game is easy and i should chain 1000 attacks as if it's the easiest thing in the world.
I take tons of damage and deal pretty much no damage, the fight with the 3 knights after you leave the underground literally took me like 20 minutes and left me with almost no healing items.
I really want to like this game and the story is enjoyable so far, but i don't understand the gameplay at all
>>
The first three knights after the golem and the dragon? No, it shouldn't need twenty minutes to kill them.
>>
>>330802349
It isn't all chaining, but, my god where to start.
Everything matters: type of weapon, edged, blunt, piercing (it doesn't make sense to attack a a skeleton with a piercing weapon, now does it?) Look at attributes, physical, phantom, light, dark.
Consider your risk, the higher it gets, the more tired you are, hence, bigger chance to miss, (but also healing spells have more effect) and since risk increases exponentially with chaining, don't chain too much.
Learn how to build and use weapons, this really is the one big selling point of the game, just be prepared to spend a lot of time in the menu.
Once you start to figure out how it works, you'll love it. One of the best gaming experiences out there imho.
>>
>>330803257
Yeah those, i buffed myself and debuffed the other two guys and they were fairly simple to beat, but Duane took forever to beat i also have almost non of the break arts i've seen in other threads and i don't want to hit a dummy for hours.
>>330803425
I got most of that, i still don't really get how to make good weapons though, since i have pretty much nothing to actually craft them.
I also have almost no PP all the time for some reason
>>
>>330802349
Find weapons that hit the weaknesses of your enemies. The game starts off with a huge difficulty cliff, you will scale down it as you find buffs that give you stat increases and elemental change, and debuffs (huge). Don't worry about chaining too much unless you're a machine. Learn which of your special moves have what effect (mace has a special move that has a piercing effect + element).

The game bursts wide open once you get a few of the above things.
>>
>>330803754
PP doesn't matter all that much in the beginning, it's mostly there to repair weapons anyway.
There's an option in the menu to show any changes in the weapons/ armor attributes when they occur, but default it's set to off.
Setting that to on is a great first step in the right direction...
>>
>>330803754
Believe me putting in the time to get your break arts pays off, some of those break arts fill in a niche weapon that you might not have in a pinch. chaining like 100 times is like a 5 minute ordeal or whatever you need, the cost is worth the time.
>>
>>330804308
>>330804527
Alright, i'll play a little further tomorrow, maybe i'll start a new save and use the dummy a bit.
Otherwise the game is amazing though, and probably the best looking PS1 game i've ever seen
>>
>>330804728
Look for a decent Silver weapon, a solid mace, and whatever else. Try to keep a set of weapons for seperate enemies, using the same weapon against multiple types of enemies muddies it's affinities which can make it fairly ineffective early on while you still don't have all the spells to fix such problems.
>>
I remember this happened to me the first time I played it.

Few tips.
Each weapons can be specialized for two enemy types: either Human and Undead, Beast and Dragon, or Evil and Phantom.
Weapon Strength and edge type (Blunt, Sharp, or Pointy) are the most important part. All other aspects can be easily modified.
The hilt of your weapon determines its edge type. Don't stress over this until you reach the Keep.
Gem slots can boost your weapons enemy specific type and it elemental type. You'll get a lot of them, usually right before you need them. Good for new weapons.
Degenerate every enemy you encounter. You'll get this spell early and will use it til the end.
Iron and Bronze makes Hagane, the third strongest material and the only one you'll need to use on your first playthrough.
DP and PP have an inverse relation to each other but aren't too important.
Fixing you weapon at a workshop will restore all DP but will greatly reduce PP. Using a weapon will reduce DP and Raise PP. The effects this will have on your damage output are negligible as long as the weapon is good in the first place.
Your starting Scimitar (Human), Rapier (Undead), and Spear (Dragon) will go along way. Make sure you have a blunt weapon that's good against Beast and a long rage edge weapon that's good against Evil by the time you leave the forest area half way through the game.
>>
File: 1450411368846.png (38 KB, 326x232) Image search: [Google]
1450411368846.png
38 KB, 326x232
>get a bronze handaxe early on
>decide to use it against almost anything
>it's surprisingly good, I just swap out the gems and am ready to go
>use it for a long time, can't upgrade it to better materials but still a decent weapon

>fight some lizardmen
>get a hagane one-handed axe
>it has double the attack strength, just slightly less weaknesses against enemies
>immediately run back to the nearest forge and try to merge it together with my other axe
>the result would be the same bronze axe for some reason
>decide to use the new axe instead
>it has double the attack and the gems do the rest, right?
>nope, half the damage against the same lizardmen
>even with full PP
And I thought I started to understand this game.
>>
Most lizards you wanna use a piercing weapon against. Affinity towards type is trumped by edge / blunt / pierce like the guy above you said.
>>
>>330803992
This
The game also just starts off quite hard, and forces you into situations where it's practically impossible to have viable options already in defeating those enemies. Part of the charm is to 'just brute force it' then. Find the second, third, fourth best option, and hold on for the ride.
>>
>>330805953
>Most lizards you wanna use a piercing weapon against.
I knew that but wanted to do something different and not carry all those weapons for every enemy type. With the right gem and buffing myself I could dish out 60 damage with this simple bronze axe. And with the new one 30. I beat every dragon boss with this bronze axe without a problem. The stats are lying.
>>
>>330806507
Does the lizard wear armor...?
>>
>>330806584
The character model certainly doesn't, but I didn't analyze them. But I tried them to the same lizardmen. I basically got in this room, got the new axe and went back to see if it's better.

This is no attempt trolling or lying, but I wish I could prove this somehow.
>>
So, i turned on the weapon and armor status change display, and +1 human etc. pops up all the time, does that mean you need like 9 weapons ?
Seems like some weapons are useless if you attack humans too much for example
>>
Again, dont fret about affinity to types too much. It's not where the majority of your damage is coming from.

Consider 1) weakness to blunt / pierce / edge
2) weakness to what element
3) DISTANT last affinity.

buffs and debuffs and having the first 2 categories in proper order will let you mostly ignore those tiny affinity changes.
>>
>>330807921
How do i add certain elements to my weapons?
>>
>>330807528
Having one weapon exclusively attacking humans with is a good idea, they are tough enemies. For the rest two or three weapons should suffice.
>>
>>330808043
certain battle dummies or types of enemies will raise 1 type and lower it's opposite, generally. I don't knwo how many dummies you've run into so far, but there are more than just human. Gems and enchant spells (elemental shift) also change elemental properties on weapons.
Lastly, special moves can have completely different elemental properties.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.