[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do Square Enix not wanna use the Luminous Engine for anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
Why do Square Enix not wanna use the Luminous Engine for anything outside of Final Fantasy XV? The Final Fantasy VII remake and Kingdom Hearts 3 would probably look better using it but they use Unreal 4 instead.
>>
>>330799672

Hasn't it been reported a few times that the Luminous engine is a bitch to work with, and not worth the effort?
>>
>>330799672
because unreal 4 is better
>>
>>330799752
>program a new engine from scratch
>use it for a single game
>scrap it
glad to know that sony puts those PS4 shekels to good use.
>>
>>330799882
>sony
>>
>>330799672
because you are retarded. Until do a bit of research before making retarded threads.

Luminous engine is still in development, and it is being developed alongside XV. The dev team of Luminous is part of the FFXV dev team.

so

1) The engine is still not complete and the development team is working on it at the same time as XV, so it would be impossible to send the team work on KH3 or FF7R.

2) They never, never said that Luminous will only be used for FFXV. Only that Luminous is being used for XV and it will only be used for XV until XVs development is over.
>>
>>330799672
IIRC they only have one team trained to use it.
>>
>>330800216
While you may indeed be correct, this will not stop OP from being a knee-jerk reaction faggot who doesn't think anything through.
>>
File: 701331-kiryl.jpg (25 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
701331-kiryl.jpg
25 KB, 300x400
The real crime is the Fox Engine.
>>
>>330800216
>>330800413
I was under the impression the engine was had finished development around 2013.

S-Sorry.
>>
>>330800781
>I dont read into anything and just make threads with baseless assumptions
If you killed yourself this world would be a better place.
>>
>>330799882
>i have no idea how game development works

okay anon, theres a thing called money and investments and if it costs more/time to to develop using the luminious engine and unreal is a cheapr better alternative then there you go

>sony
Is your head full of hot air?
>>
Because it's not a particularly good engine and is optimized like shit.
Even that one scene with the witch that looks really good required 4 Titan Xs to run at 1080p30.
>>
>>330800916
I ain't gonna deny the last part but I'll link the article I saw it from when I find it. It was an IGN interview with an SE rep and dated July 2013.

Give me a moment.
>>
File: eng.png (190 KB, 1067x411) Image search: [Google]
eng.png
190 KB, 1067x411
Why are the japs so fucking retarded? Deep Down, FFXV, MGSV, all games with disastrous development cycles, built on poor-quality in-house engines which will never be used for other games. I am amazed at what a colossal and tragic waste of manpower, talent and money they have all proven to be, producing something that has a subset of the functionality of off-the-shelf engines in 2015.
>>
>>330801340
I wouldn't be surprised if fucking Lumberyard is a more competent engine than most Jap engines.
>>
>>330799672
Of you followed the development you would know it's because luminous is unfinished and they are making it alongside XV, this is a standard practice to make a game engine alongside a game to prove that engine, so once XV is done then so will Luminous, and SE already said that they have other games planned to use Luminous but just that XV will be the first

The reason why 7R and KH3 aren't using it is because of that and because all Luminous devs are currently on the XV team too, business division 2 is the advanced technology department of SE and that is the division making XV

KH3 is business division 3and 7R is business division 1
>>
>>330801174
Because they made that demo look insanely good for the heck of it, that chick's hair alone has way more polygons than any screen of XV will ever have
>>
File: FarCry4 2014-11-15 23-00-17-99.png (3 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
FarCry4 2014-11-15 23-00-17-99.png
3 MB, 2048x1152
>>330803432
>that chick's hair alone has way more polygons than any screen of XV will ever have
It certainly didn't look like it, her hair looked about on par with pic related.
>>
File: f6.jpg (337 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
f6.jpg
337 KB, 1920x1080
>>330803542
>>
>>330803542
>59 fps
reeee
>>
>>330803542
>>330803729
Immediately you can see the "squareness" of the stray hairs in the far cry one while the witch looks smooth
Not that it matters, no game will be using models like that anytime soon, her hair got 6 million polygons while a full XV frame has 5
>>
>>330801340
Japan's development practice of building an engine from the ground up is why their games take so fucking long to make.
>>
>>330803542
>>330803729

> dat healthy sheen
>>
>>330799672
Because it's been 11 years of development hell and we're only sitting one rumours of a release date.

They announced the ff7 remake and the following year is announcing that it's readying completion. Luminous engine is gorgeous and a technical masterpiece but I don't think they quite know how to use it efficiently yet.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.