[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Indie Game Development
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: ECHeader.jpg (129 KB, 828x352) Image search: [Google]
ECHeader.jpg
129 KB, 828x352
I'm looking for any advice related to indie game development.
(From people with varying degrees of experience in the field)

Everything is appreciated, but areas I'm particularly interested in are:

>common mistakes to avoid when developing your first few games

>mobile game development

>creating a memorable brand (doesn't just look like every other cash grab game)

>useful tips for/clever ways of marketing

>monetization that you can survive on, without leeching on players
(in the mobile market, paid apps are declining and the expectation is that games are free)

Also ITT, indie game discussion
>>
>>>/vg/agdg
Literally.
>>
>>330752657
I can help you. I'm an idea guy and can come up with up two three unique gaming related ideas a day.
>>
File: 1457064779894.png (111 KB, 467x332) Image search: [Google]
1457064779894.png
111 KB, 467x332
>>330752657
>>creating a memorable brand (doesn't just look like every other cash grab game)

Go on the Wii U eShop and look at the indies section. I think that has quite a few good examples of what not to be.
>>
>>330752657
well dont follow whats in your pic, they don't have any experience with game development.
>>
>>330752657
With your pic, you made this is a shit thread.
>>
>>330755697
>well dont follow whats in your pic, they don't have any experience with game development.
/thread
>>
>>330755697
This. These guys are youtubers first and developers never and, at best, regurgitate information from textbooks.

That is to say, textbooks on a subject that's barely a generation old. Anyone who could be considered an authority in gaming is still working, and writing in the industry is largely contradictory.

Just pick an engine advertised as being good for the number of dimensions you want your game to be, and learn it, anon. You'll hear all about design ideas like balance and level building just by having an interest in it and watching the same stuff you always do.
>>
>>330757015
>These guys are youtubers
not even good youtubers I might add.
>>
>>330757560
good youtubers is an oxymoron
>>
File: maxresdefault (6).jpg (189 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (6).jpg
189 KB, 1280x720
>>330757898
LGR is pretty cool tho.
>>
>>330752657
Why hasn't sega sued them yet for using there theme song.
>>
>>330757898
>good video game youtuber is an oxymoron

ftfy
>>
>>330758396
"make sure to visit my patreon if you're into that kind of thing"
>>
>>330757898
I kinda like avgn board game reviews
>>
>>330760671
niche content can't survive on youtube by itself for long. so either patreon or go full let's play, streaming and shit. or back to shitty frame making work or what he was doing before.
I'd love to see more hardware reviews tho, various PC wise like MSX and such. Those are sexy.
>>
>>330752657
Just do it you faggot. And then keep doing it everyday for at least 3 hours a day. For free for about 5 years, because you won't git gud earlier than that. Then maybe come back and we can talk about clever ways of marketing.
>>
>>330752657
>>/vg/
/agdg/ is full of losers that know a thing or two about it
>>
>>330752657
20 years experience here

>I'm looking for any advice related to indie game development.
stop watching extra credits

>common mistakes to avoid when developing your first few games
thinking that your first few games will be a success. making games is difficult, you need experience to make something saleable

>mobile game development
don't bother
market is oversaturated, mobile games aren't even games

>creating a memorable brand (doesn't just look like every other cash grab game)
don't even think about this until you have profitable skills
actually don't even think about this at all

>useful tips for/clever ways of marketing
see above

>monetization that you can survive on, without leeching on players
i'm getting the idea that you think indie game development is a get rich quick scheme
it isn't
>>
>>330752657
>creating a memorable brand

Waifus.
>>
>MY FRIEND WORKS FOR VIDEOGAMES
the channel
>>
>>330752657
Game Maker's Toolkit is good for actual game design, but not for marketing/monetization or that kind of thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=216_5nu4aVQ
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.