[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Le "I hate romances" /v/ meme Can somebody explain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: jc2.jpg (73 KB, 600x316) Image search: [Google]
jc2.jpg
73 KB, 600x316
>Le "I hate romances" /v/ meme

Can somebody explain where this came from? Is /v/ just too underaged to have played Baldur's Gate 2 or something? Even one of the best written games, Planescape Torment, has romances. It was even handled quite decently with Alpha Protocol. I mean seriously, does /v/ have a problem with the way The Witcher handles romance?

If the first two Fallout games (my two favorite WRPGs) had romances, would they better games for it? Maybe, maybe not, but considering the quality of both games writing, it wouldn't have hurt.

So what's the deal, /v/?
>>
>Nerds having problems with experiencing romance
>Confused
What are you, dumb or stupid?
>>
File: 1354791999558.jpg (150 KB, 998x872) Image search: [Google]
1354791999558.jpg
150 KB, 998x872
>>330748194
Can't speak for older games but the writing is beyond cringe in modern games
>>
Romances are hard to write and get across effectively in any medium, but games have a particularly hard time for one reason: The player/protagonist's character often can't express themselves or change in a meaningful way.

The best romances (in fiction) are about clash and compromise. The height of their drama occurs when the audience has just begun to like them as a couple, but something drives them apart, and the pleasant direction they've envisioned their story following suddenly seems in jeapordy. You're shouting at the screen for them to stop being such idiots, let go of their pride, and love each other already. This concern and involvement is easily spoiled, however, by predictable tropes and fake-sounding confrontations in which you already know they'll get back together, because Plot.

In games, however, the player/protagonist is too often a flat plane against which the (usually female) love interest hurls themselves. Moreover, being in control of the story means that you either are able to avoid the obvious pitfalls that would imperil and bring drama to a love story, or feel totally cheated when you're unable to, because you've been robbed of the control you've grown accustomed to. The games you've mentioned manage to get around that by trying to account for all customized possibilities with equal detail and narrative weight, which is goddamned hard to pull off.

A more detached, third-person game - in which you follow your protagonist and help them along more than you control them directly - can possibly weave these narrative threads more easily. A JRPG, which typically has a fleshed-out, non-customizable protagonist, is theoretically a better format for the challenge. In practice, that's rarely in case.
>>
>>330748194
this thread again?
fine, i'll give the same answer.
it's not about hating romances, it's about how shitty the romances are, including bg2 romances
>>
>>330748194
neo /v/ hate everything good /old school for the purposes of cool etc. infestation of tumblrdrones and twitchtards w/ redditderps mean v has gone to shit.

>dat feel when aerie gets her wings back and becomes your demigoddess consortas you ascend to godhood, your child a babe in arms
>>
>this same fucking thread
>these ugly bimbos again
Please stop.
>>
>>330748973
That message is cute tbqh and I hate Bioware
>>
File: 1451546740496.jpg (23 KB, 288x499) Image search: [Google]
1451546740496.jpg
23 KB, 288x499
>>330748973
>This is in a Star Wars game
>>
>>330749269
>yfw LS vette romanced' kept the collar. on purpose. for naughty funtimes
>>
>>330748973
M-MAXIMUM CRINGE

Fuck, how could one person compose that and then another one approve it and put into a game?
>>
File: 1360572482336.png (380 KB, 1564x926) Image search: [Google]
1360572482336.png
380 KB, 1564x926
>>330749269
Don't make me link payment in kisses, anon.
>>
>>330748194
>turning Viconia Good via the Power of Love. (and penis)

>Helping Jaheira become not-a-total-cunt and not harper and cope with khalids death
>>
>>330749485
???
>>
>>330749626
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwG0It2SMMw
>>
Does anyone remember romances in KOTOR and NWN:HOTU?
Specifically Bastila and Aribeth. I thought they were done well. If I am not mistaken they were both romanceable from dark side (evil) and light side (good/neutral) positions.
>>
>>330748194
Romances in game sets a false and quite frankly annoying expectation in real life. Other aspects found in game slike fighting or good vs evil conflicts have less realistic expections because of their fantasy nature. Thus, the most "human" aspect of these games are met with disdain for the simple fact that they bring with them the bullshit from the real world.
>>
>>330748194
>>330748194
look, faggot, if a game is focused on pure RPG action the romance thing isn't the main thing going on and only a silly side branch in the whole story. play a dating sim instead you raging gay.
>>
>>330748194
BG2 was the first time Bioware experimented with romance in their games. Ironically in many ways it was better done than in any of their later games.

In almost any later game from Bioware the romance is just pure shit and often contain blatant political message that simply doesn't belong in a fucking video game, from the design of romanceable NPCs to the tropes. That's why "le I hate romance meme" happened.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.