[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How bad is it really going to be? Is there a glimmer of hope at all?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: NintendoNX.jpg (25 KB, 1200x674) Image search: [Google]
NintendoNX.jpg
25 KB, 1200x674
Is it really going to be a portable/console hybrid? What the fuck does that even mean?

How much would they dare charge for it?

Is it going to be backwards compatible? If it is, are they going to use PowerPC again? Are they going to use the Gamepad again?

Are they going to use cartridges?

Is it their absolute last chance? Is most of the senior staff out of a job if it fails? Will activist investors try to throw their weight around or just jump ship?

Will Diddy Kong Racing 47 be a launch title?
>>
It's probably just going to be the successor to the 3DS with an X86 CPU architecture to match the home console that will release at the same time, or a year later.
>>
>>330708598
>with an x86 CPU architecture to match the home console
Are there any worthwhile non-Intel x86 processors in a mobile form factor?
>>
>>330708598
You a such a fucking idiot if you think any of that.
A FUCKING RETARD

F
U
C
K
I
N
G

R
E
T
A
R
D
>>
>>330708774
I don't actually know, but it would be properly stupid of Nintendo to go with PPC again. They need easy 3rd party support, and IBM can't bring that with PPC.
>>
>>330708213

It depends entirely on what it is. I'm pretty positive on it being a handheld, given the 3DS is absolutely TANKING and Nintendo can't survive without a handheld.
>>
>>330709084
>they need easy 3rd party support, and IBM can't bring that with PPC
Aren't most games just compiled for specific platforms these days with the compilers provided by the platform holder?

I would think PowerPC's [at least new revisions like POWER7 and POWER8] biggest detriment would be size, expense, and power consumption.
>>
>>330708213
I'll probably pick it up if XSeed is still putting their good games on the system, but I'm not really holding my breath. The further that Nintendo pushes into digital distribution with its fairly poor compatibility between systems, the less interested I am in getting involved in them. I don't want to see a Vita situation out of them.
>>
>Nintendo still hasn't ported their games to PC

baka desu
>>
>>330709393
Wii U ports were from the Xbox 360 version because the similar CPU architecture made it easier to port games. This CPU stuff is always so complicated to me, maybe I don't remember well enough anyway.
>>
>>330709668
And they won't port their games to PC until it becomes absolutely clear they have no way forward in the console industry.

As long as Nintendo thinks it can collect the 7%+ platform holder's royalty fee from third parties and 100% of the profit [after retail/marketing/production] on their own stuff within a 40-50 million strong install base they won't even consider paying Gaben 30% to put their stuff on Steam.
>>
>>330708213
Nintendo doesn't have any chance unless they produce enough software to support their platform(s) alone, so they're making it so their console and handheld can run the same games so they can shit out games for both of them and hope enough people buy their shit for them to stay relevant.
>>
>>330708213
Its all rumors for now, who knows.
We will see what happens when they announce it.
>>
Nintendo are fucked whatever it is due to no 3rd party support. There's no way they'll be able to support the system themselves with their 4 or 5 games a year.
>>
Given that for a long while Nintendo's handhelds have been their leading platform in terms of sales, it makes sense to develop a hybrid platform.

Make the handheld the essential part, and the home console part the optional one. Let the handheld act as a controller for the console, a little like the Vita.

I'm going to guess it'd be a semi-custom part from Nvidia (ARM) or AMD (x86)
>>
>>330710734
Amibos are doing a good job at it.
>>
>>330710812
>it makes sense to develop a hybrid platform
I actually disagree. I don't know if handhelds are really viable long term where they have to compete with mobile devices people already own and offer so many cheap or even free games.

A dedicated handheld's only advantages are offering deeper gameplay [at a significantly higher price point], better controls, and a physical copy of your game [which some people probably don't even consider an advantage]. Most phones already have better hardware than handhelds.

I think they need a credible console in a market where consoles are getting more premium [in general, not necessarily compared to high end PCs] and expected to do more. I don't know if Nintendo can deliver on that or feels confident they can deliver on that.
>>
It needs to be a PS4 clone so it can leech of PS4's multiplats.
>>
File: NXFuture.png (50 KB, 686x412) Image search: [Google]
NXFuture.png
50 KB, 686x412
>>
Test
>>
>>330712259
The graph is very telling. If they don't get closer to 5 million per year than 4, they have real trouble.
>>
>>330710734
All they have to do to get third party support is make it comparable in strength to the rest of the consoles and make it simple to port to. That's really all they've ever had to do.
>>
>>330712748
If they don't have a large enough install base third parties won't bother.
>>
>>330712259
https://arch.b4k.co/v/search/filename/NXFuture.png/
>>
>>330712748
10 years ago, yes. It's more than power now since so much of the AAA cash is made through DLC and microtransactions like ultimate team in FIFA.
>>
>>330708213
>How bad is it really going to be?
No clue at all. The predictions for the previous consoles failed something ridiculously. So I won't believe anything until I have seen it presented by Nintendo themselves.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.