[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If Dota 2 came first would League be as popular as it is today?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
File: moba.jpg (245 KB, 600x356) Image search: [Google]
moba.jpg
245 KB, 600x356
If Dota 2 came first would League be as popular as it is today? Or would casuals just flock to it after finding an easier game if Dota 2 soaked up the potential MOBA playerbase first?
>>
>>330694026

Yes, it was not designed to be a direct DotA Clone, and original LoL was much better than it was today.

Blame the WoW effect.
>>
File: 1434654939786.jpg (32 KB, 439x437) Image search: [Google]
1434654939786.jpg
32 KB, 439x437
tfw hon ded
>>
I don't know if MOBAs would be as popular. While I do think DotA 2 is much better it's also a lot harder to get into and casuals hate it. DotA is more fun to win than League, and League is more fun to lose than DotA.

What's retarded is people actually trying to make mobas now. It's a subgenre of a subgenre, there isn't much wiggle room for change and nothing is going to take people away from their favorite. League and DotA own the casual and more hardcore fans, and Smite is the special snowflake. Shit's cover, it's done.
>>
File: Dota_allstars_game.jpg (404 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Dota_allstars_game.jpg
404 KB, 600x450
>>330694026
It did.
So no, it wouldn't.

The only reason LoL exploded as much as it did is because it streamlined and casualized the game enough for it to be so accessible.
>>
>>330694317
It will always live on in our hearts
>tfw no genjuro
>>
>>330694026
League is easier to play, and since casuals want easy, companies give them easy. League has gone downhill since season 3. They are under the false impression that everyone wants to play competitively. What happened to the days when I could just fucking play AP Sion in normals
>>
>>27127251
>>330696767
It made it so you could play aos without having to buy StarCraft/Warcraft that's it
>>
>>330695402
But Gigantic is pretty good fun
>>
File: 1297313146382.png (44 KB, 500x461) Image search: [Google]
1297313146382.png
44 KB, 500x461
>>330697571

>AP sion

fuck man, why you gotta bring that up on me like that?
>>
>>330697571
>League has gone downhill since season 3
I think you mean season 1
>>
>>330697978
I don't even know what that is. I saw it talked about here a bit but mostly ignored it. Sell me on it anon.
>>
>>330698410
windows 10 exclusive
>>
>>330694026
dota was the original, it matters not whether lol came earlier or later

>>330694317
tfw no deadwood and flux and FEEL THE BURN
>>
>>330698410
I can't, it's closed beta AND win 10 only

It's just an enjoyable simplified SMITE. No minions, just controlling points that can have different monsters with different abilities for each time. And your Nexus is a giant monster that can attack the enemy giant monster, and games never go beyond 30 minutes because near the end both monsters move in close and create a crazy small arena to fight to the death
>>
>>330698739
>Simplified SMITE

Jesus christ
>>
>>330698838
Simplified in the fact that lane minions don't exist.

Runs and plays a billion times smoother and better.
>>
majority of friends that play league that try to play dota complain about the same pleb shit EVERY TIME.

>turn speed
>art style (waah its too dark!! No anime characters!!)
>too many active items!!
>no flash or spells determined by the amount of time you have to play the game to get in the first place!!!
>HUD too big

league is fucking boring
>>
Nah. League has pretty colors, "cool" guys, sexy anime grills, lolsorandumb humor, and is easier to get into. Throw in that clever pay and play scheme, you're practically printing money. It's like Candy Crush for the "nerdz" crowd
>>
File: 1439949208744.jpg (147 KB, 600x534) Image search: [Google]
1439949208744.jpg
147 KB, 600x534
>>330698739
>simplified SMITE.
>is actually 3D
>>
The world would be a better place if none of them existed.
>>
Dota 2 > Beta LoL > HoN > current LoL
>>
>>330698978
league teamfights are just so boring to look at. Not to mention, the champion balance game is literally the entire game. Oh, and a synonym for Season is to add mechanics that just make champions and items ridiculous. (Guinsoos used to be laughable, now no one picks AA champs without it.)
>>
I wish Valve focused less on the e-sports bullshit and more on the actual game. I miss when we had seasonal events and got heroes on a frequent basis, now it's all compendiums, advertisements, and e-sport bullshit.
>>
File: 1396207271174.png (252 KB, 511x428) Image search: [Google]
1396207271174.png
252 KB, 511x428
>friend has spend literal thousands of dollars buying every single thing from the league shop
>still buys the new champion bundles even though he never plays the champion

one day i'll make a new friend to play more games with.
>>
>>330699286

True, but to EVEN REMOVE WARDS? BECAUSE 90% OF LOW ELO PLAYERS DONT USE THEM?

people actually fucking defend this, man. Riot's thinking is that the majority of fucking nigger plebs dont do something its okay to remove it. I just watched a tiny bit of one of the ESPORT matches and there was no kills until the 20 minute marks, just lane swaps and boring shit
>>
>>330699335
I actually really liked this compendium. The challenges were mostly good fun, but some were goddamn retarded
>>
>>330699510
But you have to buy the compendium to do those challenges. It's bullshit, stuff like this used to be free. Even the PA event was available to people who didn't buy the skin.
>>
>>330699510

but what was important about it is that you were actually able to level it up without spending money for points/chests (unless you really wanted the sets?). The last 2 TI compendiums were almost impossible to level up, relying on points dropping from random drop. It's a step in the right direction.
>>
>>330694026
both games are casual as fuck
>>
>>330698958
Oh well okay. My main problem with Smite was how floaty it is and how long it takes to get new heroes. I actually don't mind heroes being locked since unlocking them is a lot of fun and can keep the game fresh, but damn does it take forever.
>>
>>330699612
But Anon, making the quests profited you in the long run.
>>
>>330699849
I don't want to play the market, I want to play the game. This shit isn't fun.
Custom games are frustrating, there's no penalty system for leavers. But that would require a quality insurance system that Valve doesn't even enforce for it's green light system.
>>
>>330698958
>>330697978
I played it at E3 and its fucking shit
>>
>>330700095

but you can just play the game with ignoring the compendium shit, not like you need to grind or pay for characters. there are plenty of players that just play without buying the shit, the gameplay certainly doesn't suffer.
>>
>>330696767
lmao, dota 1 was shit. the ONLY thing good in it was the core gameplay, the experience was terrible. ridiculous controls, losing focus of your hero etc
>>
>>330699480
In Season 4, they did a good job by just giving everyone a ward slot. It encouraged noobs to know that vision was important a little bit. But then they make the ward limit 3 wards...and remove consumables. If your support couldn't ward from lack from map control, you were fucked because no one but the jungler and the support would ward. Mid laners and AD Carries believe they are invincible, and top laners are isolated.
>>
>>330700343
I've played over 2k hours but as much as I like this game it would not kill Valve to add some variety once in awhile like new heroes. One hero a year is bullshit, we should have had the entire Dota roster by now.

I'm glad that it's completely free because if I was paying for this I would be much more upset. If paying for heroes or for the game itself meant Valve would put more time into developing the game, like fucking updating the models like they did for Zeus, I would love it so much more. But it's the same shit with CS:GO, there's all kinds of cheaters and shit but Valve relies solely on the VAC system and does nothing else. Map updates are slow as fuck, and a lot of them are created by the community anyways.

What does Valve even do anymore? Dick around with technology?
>>
>>330700095
This is true. Valve doesn't even bother with events anymore. I miss Frostivus, Diretide, and New Bloom. Even if they weren't that great, at least it was a nice diversion and it meant something. Nowadays they focus on entirely compendiums.

Valve has really lost their way We don't even have all the heroes ported from DotA 1 yet, it's a fucking shame we'll never really see any new Dota 2 heroes.
>>
>LoL
>Dota 2
>HoN

Who /Smite/ here
>>
>>330700725
>What does Valve even do anymore? Dick around with technology?
Pretty much. Don't forgot to pre-order the Vive for $800
>>
>>330701096
If it's anything like their controller or streaming device i'll definitely pass. It was hard enough for them to fix the Source 2 engine when they ported Dota 2 to it.

I want to love Valve, I do, but they are trying my patience for this shit.
>>
>>330700484

>ridiculous controls

can you fuck off, it used the same control base as WC3, you only lost focus of your hero if you were shit and the experience was fine, well it would be if you were old enough to have played WC3 in the first place you fuck
>>
>>330701305
Can't wait for them to keep their promise and port all their older games to Source 2!
>>
>>330701465
They're not even Porting TF2 to source 2
>>
>>330700897
Those were all shit. People only played them to jew hats.
>>
>>330701607
I love L4D2. I bought a Steam Controller so I could decently play custom maps on my couch online. I'm still mad that game isn't put on S2 yet.
>>
>>330701465
You mean other game, CS:GO. Since they are the only money makers for Valve these days, at least in comparison to TF2.
But with Counter-Strikes big reliance on precision changing the engine is going to be a nightmare in comparison to Dota 2 so Valve probably isn't even going to bother.

Why would they? It rakes in money just fine.
>>
>>330701008
M-me
>>
>>330700484
>Using camera lock
Get a load of this shitter
>>
>>330701008
I wonder if/when Gigantic, battleborn and Paragon cone out everyone who plays smite will drop that shit like a hot rock
>>
>>330701008
Smite is the worst one
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.