[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08 /26/aonuma-interview-zel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: Eiji Aunoma.jpg (542 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Eiji Aunoma.jpg
542 KB, 1280x720
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/26/aonuma-interview-zelda

>Eiji Aonuma, director of the famed Legend of Zelda series, gave us an exclusive interview to promote the upcoming untitled entry in the series for the Wii U. Among the topics discussed was difficulty.
>"Before we actually set out to work on the game, we tried having one-hundred Japanese and American participants, ages 10 to 20, play through the first four dungeons of the original ‘Legend of Zelda,’ selecting only those who describe themselves as 'active gamers' from a list of terms we presented. Other terms were 'casual gamers,' 'social gamers,' and 'rare gamers.'"
>“To do this, we created a special emulation on one-hundred computers that simply takes you from one dungeon to the next, skipping the overworld, and giving appropriate overworld items, such as the improved sword or bow, when we thought a normal player would get them naturally. Players could continue in the room they died with full health and bombs, unlike the original game, to streamline the process, and the emulation stopped after Dungeon 4.”
>"The results were extremely disheartening. Of the two-hundred total players, only fifteen were able to reach the fourth dungeon, and only six were able to complete it. Most of the players could not grasp the idea of exploration, and if I was going to do this experiment again, I would give them all the map and compass to start with."
>>
>“Most players were confused by it [the boomerang] stunning enemies instead of killing them. Several thought that made it useless.”
>"Many players were unfamiliar with the concept of bombs opening up secret rooms. After some frustration, I told some attendants to give the players this information. While all players experiencing confusion were able to figure out what to do at that point, most of them frequently forgot about bombs in later rooms, even when dying enemies produce bombs in rooms with no doors."
>"One player, a ten year-old boy, called the skeletons in Dungeon 1 ‘stupid and not scary,’ then died so many times to them that he left our computer center in frustration and refused to continue.”
>"I think the worst part was when a fifteen year-old boy – who must have been born during the GCN era – killed the first boss and started to attack the heart container. I watched him for what must have been ten solid seconds, slashing at it and using his boomerang, trying to figure out why he was doing this, before I realized he thought he was fighting the boss' second form."
>The results, said Aonuma, indicated that "A Link Between Worlds" had to be easier and more intuitive than earlier games in the series.
>“This is why we included a Hard Mode, in case a ‘hardcore gamer’ wanted to have a more nostalgic game.”
>>
>>330670021
This is so sad, but believable.
>>
>>330670004
>implying Aonuma would give a backwater site like IGN an exclusive interview

fun read though.
>>
At least put the link at the end so most don't click on it first.
>>
>>330670021
>10 year-old boy
>active gamer
>>
>>330670763
What's your point?
>>
>tfw it could have been true

What was that SE game where it was originally hard as balls but then the testers failed repeatedly whenever a maze like area came up and they ended up making the game super corridor like
>>
Aonuma>Miyamoto
>>
>>330671050
>What was that SE game where it was originally hard as balls but then the testers failed repeatedly whenever a maze like area came up and they ended up making the game super corridor like
Aren't you thinking of Half-Life 2?
>>
>Dumb down games
>People so used to dumbed down games they dont think
>Have to dumb down further
>>
>people don't even include fake links when making Nintendo bait threads anymore
>>
>>330671050
That was Half Life 2
FFXIII however getting auto-battle was because people thought manually selecting comands was too difficult
>>
This test makes no sense.

They removed the overworld, the place where you learn to play and hone your abilities and just tossed people into chaining dungeons while tossing new items at them that they've had no time to learn.
>>
>>330671276
Well what else are developers supposed to do?

To reverse the difficulty trend in games would have to be an industry-wide effort. If you get a couple of developers making difficult games while everyone else is making easy games, the difficult games just won't sell (unless your name is From Software).
>>
that's why I love devil may cry, originally the game was moderately difficult but when they had play testers play it and they complained about the difficulty they made it harder instead
>>
>>330670004
>>330670021
The problem with normal people is that they tend to turn their brains off when playing games, due to subliminal prejudices instilled by society.

They are not exactly dumb, they are just thinking they don't have to think too hard to play a game because they subconsciously believe the game to be 'child's play' or unimportant.

This is also why competitive games often garner attention around a certain feat of execution, or a 'play', because competition makes it serious in their minds, thus people playing those games are often playing to their full capacity.
>>
Just a reminder to those responding seriously that this interview is not real.
>>
>>330671437
Ignore retards.
>>
>>330671894
>Ignore money
If only.
>>
File: harrison-ford[1].jpg (133 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
harrison-ford[1].jpg
133 KB, 960x720
>>330670403
>>330671087
>>330671124
>>330671276
>>330671348
>>330671432
>>330671437
>>330671454
>>330671643
>>330671894
>>330671994

next time try applying critical reading skills instead of upboating like mindless sheep, alright? *sheathes katana* I'll spare your pathetic lives... for now.
>>
>>330671858
As long as you provide a source link it doesn't matter, 99% of people never check on it.
>>
>2013/08/26
so you're telling me that the year 26 had 2013 days in the month of August?
>>
>>330672019
Huuh... Ok?
>>
>>330671050
I want to say Dishonored
>>
>>330670004
>>330670021
>he actually went through the trouble of typping all of this out just for some (You)s

Saddest part is that some people will believe whatever is written on these posts without even clicking the link.
>>
File: virality-and-truth-30a[1].jpg (60 KB, 475x356) Image search: [Google]
virality-and-truth-30a[1].jpg
60 KB, 475x356
>>330671643
>The problem with normal people is that they tend to turn their brains off when reading things on the internet, due to subliminal prejudices instilled by society.
>They are not exactly dumb, they are just thinking they don't have to think too hard to take in the information because they subconsciously believe the text to be 'not lies' or true.
>>
>>330672274
Nah Dishonored's play-test issue was retards thinking they couldn't go upstairs because some guard told them not to, so they just took him at his word and never tried.

In the released game, he still says it, and you can just ignore him and go up, or enter the building from the upstairs, or use the main stairs, or teleport to the upstairs balcony or...
>>
RARE GAMER
A
R
E
>>
>>330670456
are you fucking retarded anonymous?
>>
>>330671432
Yeah, this occurred to me. Although I don't think it should be a big deal for people who play games a lot.
>>
>>330671643
>The problem with normal people is that they tend to turn their brains off when playing games, due to subliminal prejudices instilled by society.

>>inputting 236
>>he can't do it with just the d-pad so he tries mashing it furiously, and takes the analog stick with his other thumb and mashes it roughly in the direction of the input

I've seen this shit happen.

>turn their brains off
>>Skip all the dialogue/tutorial hints and repeatedly fail at one small task for ten minutes
>>dis s shit gaem

Every fucking time.
>>
Im just gonna say this when you played games for the first time that was probably the only game you played also you spent ages, and chances are probably screwed up as much as them as kids but you played and found things out through trial and error an had tons of time.

These kids also seems like they never played a zelda game before are put under a microscope and are told to critique.

Plus they are thrown into the game all of a sudden with little clue on the items and just figuring out the controls on the spot.

Plus chances are you made stupid mistakes when you first played a game as a kid.
Thsse guys are being put into random spots all of a sudden
>>
>>330673874

how does it feel to write all that shit about something that never happened?
>>
>>330674072
Yeah I realise that now

Still does apply playing asingle game as a kid getting stuck forced you to think and find out thibgs through trial and error , compared to games now where you can easily find walkthroughs
>>
>>330670004
Technically, I can't blame them. Lots of "exploration" was just trial and error and wasting bombs on blowing up walls.

And the casual crowd probably don't know about the classic "push objects" way of finding secrets unless they encounter the staircases blocked off by them first.

Yes, I did check the link.
>>
Kids suck at games

I didn't become any good at games until I turned what was a hobby into a troubling obsession
>>
>>330676701

nonsense kids are fucking amazing at games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTdQ7Xx4Q34
>>
>>330676701
Speak for yourself.
>>
i sucked as a kid.

I only got gud with puberty
>>
>>330671643
That's a great theory
>>
No one has clicked the link.

Well done OP.
>>
>>330670456
>IGN
>backwater
>>
Nice job OP
>>
>>330677816
>didn't read the thread

Well done anonymous.
>>
>>330676701
This.
I was absolutely retarded at playing games when I was a kid. I didn't even know I was supposed to jump in the paintings in Mario 64 until my cousin showed me.

The difference between kids now and then is that for the most part, we didn't quit just because something was a little bit hard. Now kids are so used to games that hold your hand every step of the way that they just give up any time a game has a section that's a little bit challenging.
>>
File: 1436060581483.png (54 KB, 176x176) Image search: [Google]
1436060581483.png
54 KB, 176x176
>Not one person checked the fucking link
>>
>>330674406
>Still does apply playing asingle game as a fuck stuck forced think and find out thibgs through trial and error. compared games now when you can where easily find all the time some fuck does walkthrough.

What the fuck are you saying?
>>
>>330670004
>>330670021

and then people give Aonuma all the flack, top kek
>>
>>330678398
>didn't read the thread
I think you might be the most retarded in this thread.
>>
File: 1312413577661.jpg (113 KB, 400x511) Image search: [Google]
1312413577661.jpg
113 KB, 400x511
> people won't click the link and respond blindly

> Aonuma was right about retarded children
>>
>Old-ass copypasta that was never true
>Link 404s
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.