[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should gaming dropped the "realistic" approach to graphic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: finalfantasy12izjs_03.jpg (302 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
finalfantasy12izjs_03.jpg
302 KB, 1920x1080
Should gaming dropped the "realistic" approach to graphic and stuck to really good PS2 models with a focus on high resolution textures, lighting, particle effects, anti-aliasing, performance and gameplay?
>>
>>330662247

no
The Division already look really impressive and also runs great.

Plus nobody wants your anime faggotry.
>>
>>330662247
Wait
Did you just say stop the realistic approach, but try the realistic approach of an older era?

Is this what people who's first console is the ps2 actually talk like?
>>
>>330662247
>stuck to really good PS2 models
uh..
no?
>>
>>330662247
I don't think any absolutes should be encouraged, so no I don't think it should be dropped. Developers do need to realise though that graphical realism is expensive as hell, time consuming, and ultimately lacks any real flair.

The games I will always remember most for graphics will be stylised games, and they stand the test of time significantly more than games going for graphical realism.

Basically, graphical realism has it's space in gaming, but right now it's disproportionately used, so a lot of games just don't stand out, in an ideal world I'd say the ratio should be 30% graphically realistic games, and 70% stylised.
>>
Absolutely not. Your pic looks like ass.
>>
File: B.I.G._-_Born_Again.png (179 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
B.I.G._-_Born_Again.png
179 KB, 300x300
>>330662489
>runs really great
Dunno about PC but it's Ubisoft so it's probably rough around the edges. Console seems to be solid 30 though.
>anime shit
The Japs had really good models by 2008 or so.
>>330662580
It was a Sega Genisis, fuccboi.
>>
>>330662608
>>330662634
His point is that the models are good but textures are ass.
That's why a lot of people want FF12 HD with new textures similar to how FF10 HD got complete texture overhaul.
>>
>>330662753
More or less, yeah. Low resolution texture work stick out like a sore thumb since 720p became a standard years ago and look even worse at 4k.
>>
>>330662734
>Japs had really good models by 2008 or so.

is that why Souls and Borne looks like a 360 game?
>>
Fran is the sexiest!
>>
>>330662920
Souls is pretty bad in that regard. I think most of the art design goes toward environments. I'm talking more of Silent Hill, MGS and Ninja Gaiden. That last one may lean a bit much towards the anime look though.
>>
>>330663121
>I'm talking more of Silent Hill, MGS and Ninja Gaiden.

all look bad
especially MGS with the octagon arms holy fuck
>>
>>330663219
Always room to improve it to the point of looking better without needing the compromise anything else.
>>
>>330663362

yeah its not hard to improve when it looks like last gen
>>
>>330663647
Maybe because it's a several gens old?
>>
>>330665519

>MGSV: Octagon Arms
>several gens old
>>
>>330665571
I was talking about MGS 2 and 3. V has some really weird arms though. The modeling for the rocket hand is pretty dope though.
>>
>>330662247
Of course it should've

When your games budget is hundreds of thousands of dollars, mostly to Modern HD Graphics, you have to make sure you sell your game to as many people as possible by making it bland as fuck, and don't have any time to spend making sure it runs well.
>>
>>330662489
>the division
>animeshit
neo/v/
>>
>>330662247
The more budget or resources used on detailed models or graphical fidelity on a game, the more the game will need to sell to make it profitable, which leads often to bad practices and every game having to appeal to wider audiences, resulting in most games with a big budget feeling the same.
>>
>>330662247

yes

the success and ease of development of world of warcraft is living proof
>>
>>330662875
>since 720p became a standard
720p was never the standard.

It went from 480i to 1080p and it's been on 1080p ever since.
>>
>>330668274
The 360 was designed for 720p. Most games looked to render at that resolution.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.