[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best classic Resident Evil?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: resident.jpg (75 KB, 1024x245) Image search: [Google]
resident.jpg
75 KB, 1024x245
What is the best classic Resident Evil?
>>
Just swap 3 and CV and they're in order
>>
File: Inezh.jpg (25 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Inezh.jpg
25 KB, 640x480
RE2 > REmake > RE > RE3 > CV > Zero
>>
Why do we hate the newer REs?
>>
>>330650118
they ruined the spooky
they ruined the story
they ruined the characters
but most importantly
they ruined the genre
>>
>>330650118
Imagine they released a new Mega Man, called it Mega Man 11, promised a load of good shit, and it played like Gears of War.
>>
>>330650190
>they ruined the spooky
You had to be 12 or younger to find any of the REs spooky. Pretty much the only scary thing about them is the voice acting.
>they ruined the story
The story was B-grade horror movie schlock, who the fuck cares about some silly zombie story?
>they ruined the characters
See above.
>>
>>330650190

What spooky? Story was corny already, what characters? the jill sandwich ones?
The genre? Shitty actiony shooter that pretends to scare you but only scares 12 year olds?
>>
>>330650373
SURVIVAL horror.
Exploration and puzzle-based horror games, the goal in older REs is to stay alive while finding out where to go or what to do. It's more about health/item management than action. The newer games are linear TPS.
>>
>>330650515

Actually puzzles and survival are a strange mixture.
>>
>>330649850
I don't know what people have against RE0, apart from the shitty antagonist, it's the closest one to the original RE.
It's easily one of my favorites
>>
>>330650754
I mean in terms of setting, atmosphere and pacing
>>
>>330650646
>uh I don't want strange games give me more shootan
It works well. Resident evil wasn't scary because of the big monsters or spooky house/city, it was the clunkiness that worked perfectly and can't really be replicated today. It's fine if you haven't played them, they're 15+ years old, but the atmosphere was perfect since you were always concentrating on multiple things at once. You had to go to X area to get an item to open a door, or work out Y puzzle while always being aware of how you don't have any herbs in your inventory or you need to save your bullets. The puzzles make survival fall to the back of your mind just long enough for something appearing from an unseen angle to shock you back into needing to get past/get away. Horror games that are purely scares/atmosphere don't work as well since you can always be on edge. Silent hill did the same thing.
>>
>>330650987
>It's fine if you haven't played them

RE was one of my first PS games. I didn't even have a memory card back then, had to go and purchase one.

Don't tell me what RE is about, dude.
>>
>>330650987
I think the most effective part was how you could go through the same street 10/15 times and gain a sense of security, and then out of nowhere you'll get cornered or jumped on. You died quickly and got pushed back pretty far, so there was risk involved. Your mind isn't focusing on this though, since you think you're safe you're just thinking about where the key is or what you're going to do afterwards. In Outlast you always expect to be scared because it never lets up, but it's 100% jump scares so you're desensitised.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (224 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
224 KB, 1920x1080
Nemesis

>Tighter controls
>Best bosses
>Best setting
>Unique guns
>Boss event choices
>Dodge mechanic
>Mercenary mode
>Carlos
>Chad getting tentacle raped
>S.T.A.R.S
>>
>>330651295
I love the claustophobia of the mansion. Raccoon city is nostalgic but didn't grab me in the same way. Except for alleyways most streets were wide enough to easily dodge any zombies, I spent half the game weaving left/right through crowds. The mansion made me plan my route through rooms or decide which rooms are best emptying since I'll be using them so much. Nemesis was creepy as fuck, just a shame the rest of the game didn't feel like you were helpless. You had a bunch of weapons and running is nearly always the best option.
>>
RE2 was my biggest disappointment as 12-ish year old. I was really psyched about the idea of the game taking place in the city, only to find out the that wasn't the case. It's something I've never been able to get over to this day, as silly as it is. The police station is just so lame to me.

RE3 is my favorite for delivering on that.
>>
As a pleb who recently started with the remasters of 1 and 0, which versions of 2 and 3 do i want to play/emulate on pc?
>>
>>330653315

Well, there's PC versions of both. But, lord know how well those run on modern systems.

Just emulate the the PS1 versions. There's little difference in the later releases and the Playstation is the most hassle-free system to emulate.
>>
>>330649850
REmake, CV, RE0, RE2, RE3, RE in that order for me.
>>
>>330650118
Personally, barring massive gripes with RE4, I don't.
>>
4 and don't even reply if u don't agree
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.