[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Demon's Souls
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9
File: PuzzleFightGod.jpg (174 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
PuzzleFightGod.jpg
174 KB, 960x540
>/v/ always says this game is the best in the series
>Finally get the chance to play
>Enemy design is the most boring in the series
>Level design is just standard linear levels with no interesting encounters
>DaS2-tier bosses that are easy as fuck
>Character is overpowered by the time you get to the first Archdemon w/o guides
>Game becomes a steamroll before you're even 1/5th of the way through the game
>Shit nap-worthy fights like Adjudicator, Armor Spider, Dirty Colossus, Leechmonger, etc
>Only died to Old Hero and Penetrator, once each
>Hardest part was just getting past the three skeletons on the cliffs after the first necromancer with the manta rays endlessly shooting at you
>Every Archdemon is lame as fuck except Storm King
>Most hyped fights, Flame Lurker and False King Allant, were literally nothing.
>Only secret fight is Old King Doran, who is only hard because of health/damage values
>Game is short as hell
>No lore to be found
>Only upside is the character model actually gives female characters nice hips and ass

Why is this so highly regarded again? Because it was the first? I'd say even Dark Souls 2 is better.
>>
>>330616667
Honestly, you should've played it first before you played the later games.
Its harder to appreciate the things it did right if you play Dark Souls first since that game is pretty much a direct improvement. By no means is Demon's Souls bad though.
>>
>>330616667
Oh and forgot to mention
>Midi music
>>
>>330616667
wah a souls thread, we haven't had one of these in like 5 minutes
>>
>>330617160
Most of /v/ agreed DaS was a direct improvement over DeS after DaS released. Then a while later everyone got nastalgic over DeS and claimed it was the best one.
>>
>>330616667
Demon's Souls is still the apex of the series when it comes to enemy placement and level design. Bloodborne comes close and I have a good feeling about DaS3, the more linear level to level structure just seems to fit the kind this kind of game better than DaS1's open world styled approach and DaS2's mess.
>>
>>330616667
Everything after DeS is a rehash of it
>>
File: 1395203521722.jpg (29 KB, 329x333) Image search: [Google]
1395203521722.jpg
29 KB, 329x333
>>330616667
>implying you played the game
>>
>>330616667
Best level design and atmosphere. I also love the PvP and how fast paced the general gameplay it. Movesets are pretty sick too
>>
>>330617413
I always felt the DaS lore was to generic compared to Demon's Souls

Like the invasion mechanic made perfect sense for Demon's but stopped making sense for Dark, the locations in Dark were also a lot more generic
>>
>>330617413
>Most of /v/ agreed DaS was a direct improvement over DeS after DaS released.
I didn't and most of /v/ at that point didn't even play Demons Souls. They still haven't.
>>
>>330616667
Just beat demon souls about a week ago. And I completely agree. I feel like it should have been played first, but considering how much v hypes it i didn't think it would matter really
>>
File: IMG_0630.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0630.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>330617705
pic related

>>330618395
The Tower of Latria was cool but every other area is just as generic if not more so.

>>330617570
>Sequels having the same game mechanics means it's a rehash!
no
>>
>>330619914
>neo/v/ trying to share his retarded opinion

Dark Souls and everything that followed are literally rehashes. Demons Souls was the unique experience.
>>
>>330619914
>but every other area is just as generic if not more so.

Did you know that the Shrine of Storms is actually a physical representation of what the islanders though the after-life looks?

First you meet the Adjudicator who judges if you are worthy, if you are then you are enshrined with the Old Hero's to await the coming of the Storm King to take your soul to the sky.

Demon's Souls is a lot less generic then Dark Souls
>>
File: 1455432162057.jpg (94 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
1455432162057.jpg
94 KB, 375x500
>>330617413
>>330617160
I played Demon's Souls first and enjoyed it the most. I just don't like the changes in the feel of the combat in Dark Souls 1. It feels too unreasonably slow.
>>
>>330619914
>The Tower of Latria was cool but every other area is just as generic if not more so.

This doesn't even make sense. Comparing the DeS' areas that are similar to Dark Souls areas you'd have to admit Dark Souls areas are more generic.

1-1 is better than Undead Parish for starters, boss and everything. 2-1 is better than the catabombs.

The swamp is better than blight town, and so on it goes.
>>
>>330616667
This is 100% accurate actually. Was quite disappointed in the entire experience and I found myself preferring DaS2 over it.

Going to see all the original ideas in play before they all got regurgitated in DaS1 and DaSR2 was kinda cool though it did deflate my hype for Dark Souls 3.

I hope the new game has refreshing bosses and enemy models this shit is getting old.
>>
no one cares gaylord

BB (all variants) > DaS (with DLC) > DeS > DaS (no DLC) > DaS 2 (all variants)
>>
>>330621224

This is the only correct answer.
>>
>>330621018
Blight Town was horrible. It felt so incomplete. So much of the game felt goddamn incomplete.
>>
>>330621224
nailed it
>>
>>330621224
pretty much this
>>
File: 4.jpg (1 MB, 2386x944) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
1 MB, 2386x944
Demon's Souls did a perfect synthesis of narrative and gameplay. The resurrections and invasion, they make perfect sense given the story

Dark Souls kinda fucked this up, never giving a proper answer as to how you teleport back to the bonfire after you die or how you attack other players.

Bloodborne fixed this though with the dreamlands
>>
>>330621224

I'd still put DeS above DaS with all its variants mainly because personal preference, but pretty accurate.
>>
>>330616667
it wasnt your first souls game though
yes the newer iterations fixed many of the problems of demon's souls but without it there would be no dark no blood. the series wouldn't be here if it didn't re ignite our passion in rpg's
>>
>shitters who play demon's souls last try to act like it's inferior to either of the dark souls games when it's those that are the inferior ones
>they think it's inferior because the graphics and aesthetics are dated and it doesn't have as much content due to not having a dlc or the 6th archstone
>dark souls retards actually think shitty ass dark souls is better than demon's which quite literally pioneered the series only for dark souls to half-assedly ape it in a generic-brand tier rehash of demon's souls

Demon's Souls is the true Souls. Dark Souls is a cheap generic imitation that just happens to get a pass because it has more content and "polish".
>>
>>330619165
A lot of people that played both agreed that DaS was an all around improvement. It's just more hip to praise DeS now. See 8.8.
>>
>>330622792
>It's just more hip to praise DeS now. See 8.8.

I've always praised Demon's Souls over Dark Souls. Only reason anyone thinks shitty Dark Souls is better is because it was the one that made the series popular and mainstream.

Not even that popular things are bad, it's just that's the only reason idiots say it's better. That and it was their first so they think that gives them a pass to say it's better than Demon's Souls when they never got the true Demon's Souls experience.

Every Dark Souls game was shit to me. I played through both the Asian version of Demon's Souls several SEVERAL times, and even then played through it several more when it finally got brought over here with the English version.

Both Dark Souls games though? Could barely be bothered to do more than one playthrough, let alone delving several times deep into New Game+ like I did on Demon's Souls.

Dark Souls always felt generic and uninspired compared to Demon's.

Not even saying Dark Souls is bad. It's not. But compared to Demon's Souls is it is because it didn't innovate at all.
>>
>>330616667

>calls Demon Souls shit
>thinks Storm King is best archdemon fight

Literally shit taste.
>>
>>330623246
Agree with you 100%
>>
>>330616667
>never died to Maneaters
Fucking bullshit.
>>
>>330619914
Wtf I'm for real getting married to a girl named Lydia in 16 hours
>>
>>330616667
>>Level design is just standard linear levels with no interesting encounters
But you are wrong.
>>
>>330617167
>implying midis are always bad
Fuck outta here.
>>
>>330623789
i hope you have strong love and strong babies
>>
>>330623727
Not him but I never died to maneaters until my SL1 run. They aren't an easy boss but it's possible on a first playthrough.
>>
>>330619914
>plays as a female
>has shit opinions
like pottery
>>
>>330623969
Funny enough, those fuckers always gave me trouble, but i beat them on my first try on a SLZ1 playthrough
>>
>>330624192
Even more ironic, because the boss I got stuck on for the longest time was the fucking Old Monk. Those yellow homing soul arrows are a 1HKO even with warding.
>>
File: bbb.png (82 KB, 380x513) Image search: [Google]
bbb.png
82 KB, 380x513
>>330623789
>sitting on /v/ of all places instead of getting rest before your own wedding
>getting married in the first place
Dude.
>>
DeS has superb art direction and atmosphere in its environments, unmatched except for perhaps BB.

Enemy designs were great, but difficulty was incredibly uneven. With the exception of Allant, the archdemons ended up among the easiest of the lot.

Weapon movesets and spells were terribly bland an uninteresting, however. Combat aesthetics in general made it feel less satisfying - the animations and soundwork when it came to hitting enemies was really lacking, if you ask me. No matter what enemy I was facing or what weapon I was using, I felt like I was bludgeoning a meaty carcass. Not satisfying at all. DaS2 is similar in that respect, actually.

Carry encumbrance was needlessly tedious, something we all realized I'm sure. But worst of all were the tendency systems. An interesting idea, but woefully terrible in execution. This is compounded by how much content is locked behind those systems and the necessity of colorless demon's souls. Tendency and all that is tied to it above anything makes replaying the game pretty unpalatable compared to DaS or BB.

The game is a gem that I love and respect deeply, but its flaws run just as deep and many of them were thankfully ironed out in DaS and BB. Did new flaws arise? Of course, but none as bad. It is still a very special game that I'd advise anyone to play.
>>
Demon's made me give the series a second look desu. I played a good portion of dark and thought it was alright but ended up dropping it. Got a ps3 later on and my friends told me to try out demon's and I ended up liking it alot more. The Nexus is still my favorite hub area in all of the games. I'm glad that DS3 is looking alot faster than ds1 and 2 and closer to demon's in combat speed.
>>
>>330616667
This is the shittters bait I've seen in a long time.
>hurr it's easy!!!
>hurr the bosses are easy once I look up strategy beforehand and use glitches
>hurr the level design is standard linear
That one is super retarded
>hurr I'm so good at this fucking game
>No lore
Fucking kill yourself you fucking /v/ brainwashed shitposting faggot
>>
>>330616667

For me, while I did play DeS first, there are just things about it that I find more interesting.

I have always had a soft spot for the sound in DeS. It's not nearly as refined as it was in the following games, and something about that has always stuck with me. Certain areas were more "magical" to me as well (thinking about parts of 2-1/2-2, 3-1, and 4-2 specifically).

DeS also had a fairly consistent (albeit sparse) story that made sense, and generally gave you a reason to do the things you did.

I also like how they treated magic/faith in the game. While it did trivialize certain aspects with the MP/HP regen (depending on stat preference) and spell casting (second chance...) it felt like there was more of a reason to invest those points rather than for simple attack spells and healing purposes. I mean, I made a faith-based Claymore character just because I found the HP regen mechanic interesting.

But I understand why people don't like DeS much if they've played DaS or BB before it. It just doesn't feel quite as fleshed out, which it isn't, because it's the first game in the sequence. That doesn't mean it's not a really great game though.
>>
File: breakdown.jpg (132 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
breakdown.jpg
132 KB, 1200x675
>>330617167

dun dun
AHH AHH
dun dun
AHHH AHHH
dun dun
AHH AHH AAAAH AHHHHHH AHH AHHHH
>>
>>330624376
world tendency is great though, it's anti-shitter and pro-coop and made invading the god damn best thing
>>
>>330624396
> I'm glad that DS3 is looking alot faster than ds1 and 2 and closer to demon's in combat speed.
It's not anything like Demons Souls. It's literally Dark Souls with floatier controls.
>>
>>330624897
so far it looks faster in pace desu. i dont know how you dont see that.
>>
>>330624809

>it resets to average every time to restart the game

Completely ruined. Like I said, it was a good concept but they locked a huge amount of content behind something you can control unless you marathon the game or play it in an unnatural state (I consider online to be the intended experience for these games).
>>
>>330625023
I've played it. The combat is pretty much the same speed but you move around faster(floatier) ala Dark Souls 2

It's not like Demons Souls which just had different animations and a bigger character.
>>
>>330624809
It would have been great if it wasn't for your tendency being reset to server average (which is always white) every time you go online. Making your world tendency darker by dying or invading doesn't matter when you can just restart the game and be 1 boss kill away from pure white. It's really a shame because it's something that could have been fixed so easily.
>>
>>330623450
>Astraea is just an NPC fight
>Yellow Monk is just an invader with ineffectual lasers showing up every once in a while
>Dragon God is "pull two levers then hit him a few times"
I forgot that Allant was also an archdemon but he was super predictable. Storm King was at least interesting because it's the only boss in the series that's completely airborne and they give you a cool-ass sword.
>>
>>330625083
But you can adjust tendency with the online features, that was the whole point? Want to be brighter? Do co-op.

Gating stuff and forcing you to use your brain and skill to figure out how to get it is cool.
>>
File: 1457438063302.jpg (256 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1457438063302.jpg
256 KB, 800x800
I find that playing Bloodborne made the other Souls games too easy. Once you can deal with the spastic monsters charging at you it becomes really easy to figure out how to counter Souls bosses.

FUCK the meat cleaver phantom in Valley of Defilement though. You'd think she wouldn't be a harder fight than a named character like Miralda but you'd be wrong
>>
>>330625413

If you only play for a few hours at a time, adjusting tendency only to get it reset to server median next time you load the game is pretty disheartening. Especially if you're going for black, as the server median almost always favors white and progression naturally whitens up worlds.

And as the game dies down online, so too do opportunities to change the tendency that's hoisted on you every time you load the game.
>>
>>330625838
It takes minutes to get pure black and the game years later after the online was planned to be cut has nothing to do with the system.

I personally hope it comes back, it was great.
>>
>>330621483

I only really got that feeling with Lost Izalith.
>>
>>330626171
That was my favorite area to invade. Felt like such a dick.
>>
Dragon God and Storm King are the best boss fights in soulsborne.
This is a fact.
>>
>>330622053

>Dark souls never gave a proper explanation for invasions or returning to the bonfire

Yes it did, you need to pay attention.

In Dark souls Undead does not mean zombie, if you look at hollows you'll notice they're not rotting people, instead their bodies are supernaturally atrophied, their veins glow blue and their eye balls are burning with flame. The curse of undeath is more like the curse of immortality, you are bound to the fire.

This is further proven when Logan calls Seath a ""true Undead" because his wounds instantly heal as long as he's attuned to the primordial crystal. he's not saying Seath is a zombie, he's saying that his heal factor makes him more of an undead than the cursed who only heal after they've died and returned.

Invasions made perfect sense, time is convoluted and the orbs allow you to forcefully travel through time as a phantom to steal humanity, enact vengeance on someone who's doing that and other shit. In an area where everyone is randomly moving through time the only way to successfully find someone else is to forcefully find them and this is what all the covenants are based around.
>>
>>330624597
The way magic worked was great. Definitely my favorite rendition of souls magic.
>>
>>330616667
Shut your fucking mouth! It's the best because it's PS only!
>>
>>330626323

Me too, You know everyone hates it and all the invasion points are at the most frustrating parts. It also fucks up build fags by taking up a ring slot.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.