[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain why publishers like Ubisoft and Activision
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2
File: take-two-annualised.png (110 KB, 1200x782) Image search: [Google]
take-two-annualised.png
110 KB, 1200x782
Can someone explain why publishers like Ubisoft and Activision haven't limited themselves to releases updates biennually to prevent franchise fatigue and ensure quality? I understand it with sports games that require updated rosters, although I'm convinced one day someone will come up with a as-a-service business model that fucks that up, but CoD and Assassin's Creed and shit? People just can't keep up with annual updates.
>>
>>330611150
seems to me that sports games would be easier to avoid pushing out a new game each year since you can just release new roster updates while things like CoD/asscreed could feature a lot more new content
>>
>Not milking them
>Release GTA V on PS4 anyway

lul
>>
>>330611150
There's heaps of GTAs? They've milked it and are milking it even more.
>>
>put effort in to making a new engine, new assets and new content
>sell the game for $60

>reuse the engine, use the same assets to form a different setting/story
>sell the game for $60

I wonder what a money-driven company will pick
>>
>>330611150
>biennually
>>
>>330612553
Sports games changing nothing between releases but the roster is complete bullshit, plus they still push roster updates to old versions anyway so if you really want you don't have to upgrade. If you do that though you miss out on a lot of actually changed and added stuff.

Just because you don't pay attention to something and thus know nothing about it doesn't mean it doesn't change drastically with each release, Madden actually adds quite a lot each release (though sometimes they remove things too). Saying sports games do nothing but update rosters is like saying the same shit about any other game. Why release a new FF when they could just patch a new story in???????? Why release a new Zelda when it's the same fucking game again anyway but with a stupid fucking bug that keeps talking to you? Why do they keep making GTA games when they could just make an expansion DLC or even freely patch in a new story?
>>
Sports games are the worst offenders here, by far. Just release a fucking roster pack.
>>
>>330612786
>New GTA like once every 5 years
>Milking
Top kek
>>
>>330613102
>Just because you don't pay attention
>Madden actually adds quite a lot each release
Nigger detected.
>>
>>330612786
7 GTAs in 20 years?
>>
>>330613102
Really how much could they actually add to make it worth another $60?
I really fucking doubt they do shit between releases
>>
Take two can afford to not release games annually because rockstar is a gigantic cash cow and makes ridiculous amounts of money. GTA V made a billion dollars in three days, I think they can afford to hold back the releases a bit.
>>
>>330611150
They could release a game every 6 months for $60 bucks and idiots will keep buying it up.
>>
>>330613383

Vice City
San Andreas
Advance
Liberty City Stories
Vice City Stories
Chinatown Wars
Episodes from Liberty City

>7
>>
>>330613383
im not counting stories or episodes just the stand alones
>>
>>330611150
>I understand it with sports games that require updated rosters
Even that is stupid as some of the games allow you to create and manage the teams yourself.

Some of those yearly releases bring even less updates and changes than some free monthly updates for other games. Seriously, those cows are fucking dry and they still squeeze milk out of them because people keep being fucking stupid.
>>
>>330613809
Take Two burns through a shitload of money. I think they're just being responsible.
>>
>>330614903
Well, it provides an "natural" reason to buy an annual update, compared to a new CoD or whatever which requires a ton more content to be a worthy upgrade.
>>
Is it bad that I enjoy madden and fifa with my buddies? Even though I despise the business model?
>>
>>330615536
Nah, enjoy what you want. It's kind of weird how football games have become their own complex sub-genre though.
>>
>>330615136
>CoD
Update with new maps, weapon balance and weapons

>Sports
Update with new stadiums, player balance and teams

It's even more stupid when you consider they sell these shit updates as an yearly release for 60 or 70 bucks each.
>>
>>330615621
>complex sub-genre
Explain pls
>>
>>330615682
Well, a game like CoD needs/has bigger updates to make it worthwhile. FIFA is one studio while CoD is three these days.

>>330615767
FIFA/PES isn't really soccer, it's computer soccer, which is its own thing.
>>
>>330611150

vice city should have been the last game if they weren't interested in milking the cow
>>
>>330615883
Or, to put it another way, Street Fighter is to real fighting what FIFA is to soccer.
>>
>>330616041
>>330615883
Oh, virtual sports. I wonder if those games have an esports scene. Esports sports tournaments.
>>
>>330611150
You say this like ubi didn't come out a while ago and say they aren't doing asscreed this year
>>
>>330616276
I honestly think most "esports" are just horrible to watch, since they require a strong understanding of the games to appreciate.

Rocket League is the closest I've seen to a game reproducing the mechanics of a real sport and what makes them fun to watch.
>>
>>330616553
Seems pretty clear they're looking to turn Far Cry into an annualised franchise though.
>>
>>330616681
Read op again. He doesn't say far cry
>>
>>330616775
Well, I am the OP. The reason they stopped with AC is because sales dropped off after Unity. But why they thought annualised franchises wouldn't cause issues in the first place is the underlying question.

(Also, I've never played an AC game, but I'm playing Rathet and Clank 1 at the mo and I kind of think it was the inspiration for these open world games)
>>
>>330616576
As a guy that used to watch a lot esports crap, I actually can't agree more. Except Rocket League,don't know enough about it. I sometimes just want games to be joybuzzers and not all drama, pandering and sponsoring that esports is.
>>
File: 1457732568748.jpg (500 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1457732568748.jpg
500 KB, 1920x1080
nesr gsand
>>
>>330616959
Well then the question is why do you give a shit, when you're uninformed about it, have never even played one of the games, and currently you're spending your time playing 14 year old games? Because it litteraly diesnt affects you at all
>>
>>330611150
its bullshit, they dont release annualy because its need HUGE budget, i bet if its cheaper they jump in.

fuckin bullshit
>>
>>330617240
Because I'm drunk and somewhat bored with life and find the business of games vastly more interesting than games themselves these days.

I tried to play Black Flag but found the tutorial impenetrable. Almost bought AC2 GOTY 360 the other day but decided against it.

Also, I never owned a PS2, but fairly recently bought a PS3, and generally find platformers easy to play, which is why I'm playing through R&C. It's fun to play old classic games that you missed out on. I grew up dirt poor so I'm used to playing older games because I could never afford new ones.
>>
>>330617612
They could shit out a lazy GTA sequel every year if they really wanted. Just create a second B-studio that reuses the engine with new assets.
>>
>>330617665
You seem interesting anon.

I think I'd enjoy drinking with you
>>
>>330617843
i wouldnt enjoy drinking with you
>>
>>330617843
Alas, I'm really not very interesting. I am in fact very boring, hence my strange pathological obsession with video games to fill a void in my life. I'm just another autist talking about random shit on the Internet. But I'm glad to give that impression!
>>
>>330618163
Nah, I bet many a bemusing conversation could be had.

Also, vidya won't fill that hole. Trying to use it for that only leads to depression and isolation
>>
>>330613809
This. GTA V came out for PC a year ago and it's still currently the 8th top seller on steam
>>
>>330618448
Oh, I'm well aware of that it won't fill the hole, Anon, and it's had lots of unfortunate consequences. But you need to fill life an otherwise empty life something, regardless of how meaningless and pointless, to paper over the emptiness and pain.
>>
>>330611150
Because they go for the most money. Once they decide it stops making money for them, they'll do something else.

Really, people slam publishers for shovelware, but it's the customers' fault that it's gone on for so long.
>>
>>330618448
>>330619013
you guys sound like the gayest fedora tippers ever, you definitely would have fun together
>>
>>330619598
Love you too anon.
>>
They're milking the shit out of GTA:O, another case of lying-out-the-ass business speak.
>>
>>330619878
Don't they just release updates and sell micro-transactions? That's hardly milking the shit out of it imo, that just makes it an online game in 2016.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.