[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If an early access game goes without meaningful updates for a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: rabbit.png (203 KB, 565x487) Image search: [Google]
rabbit.png
203 KB, 565x487
If an early access game goes without meaningful updates for a long enough time, is it okay to criticize it for its lack of content?

More importantly, should we assume that an early access game will never be finished or deliver on its promises? I don't think I've supported early access in over a year.
>>
ONE WHO CONSORTS WITH BEASTS
>>
>>330609207

ONE WHO will never finish the game because his hugbox matters more than his work now
>>
>>330609091
Early access only, ONLY, works when you are willing to pay for the game in its CURRENT state, and don't care if the game changes to utter shit later.

That is to say, it almost never works unless you don't give one single god damn about the money you're spending.
>>
>>330609261
>his hugbox matters more than his work now

I'm out of the loop on Overgrowth drama, care to elaborate?
>>
>>330609353

Does that means it's okay to judge Overgrowth in its current state instead of its potential state?

There's something fundamentally dishonest about a developer making promises that he can't keep.

>>330609504

Have you been to the IRC or forums lately? Most of the people there are either completely new to this or are so stupidly loyal that they believe a year and a half without real gameplay updates is acceptable.
>>
Not that I want to defend David's lack of content, but I think that Overgrowth's development process is really interesting compared to other early access games out there. We get to see a lot of behind the scenes shit that really only matters to the developers themselves, or at least making tools for easy content creation. I really wish they would release some fuckin levels though.
>>
>>330609814

When's the last time David was transparent about anything?

It really feels like he stopped his update videos because he didn't want to be held accountable to the community anymore. It wasn't because they were distracting him from his work.

If he was telling the truth, we'd be seeing more updates instead of nearly none at all.
>>
>>330609091
>probably would be one of the best fighters ever made
>will never be made
>>
>>330609091

Here's the issue: People buy "Early Access" games on the premise that a "future" release of that title will be worth it. Effectively, a bet. You're betting $20/$30/$40 that "Game B" will be worth >=$20 when it's released!

Instead, buy an Early Access title based on content already there. If the content there warrants your $20, $30, $40, Whatever amount, then buy it. Buy an Early Access game on it's EXISTING merits, with the thought that it will only get better. Not on the merits it MIGHT have.

Starsector. I bought it many moons ago when Mods got big on it. It was worth my money at that time due to the content available. I do not regret the purchased. Minecraft Alpha. I bought it for dollars. It was a worth the dollars out of the enjoyment I got. I've definitely had more than $20 worth of enjoyment out of the insane amount of hours I've dumped into Subnautica.

I passed on Overgrowth. I felt it lacked the worth for my money. I passed on DayZ. I felt the game was far from worth the money. I dunno why people are paying $20 for Black Mesa.

Don't buy shit if it isn't worth it to you right now. Don't gamble your dollars on games if you get upset when you don't get what you paid for.
>>
>>330609207
Nigga it's a literal rabbit
>>
Dayz's developement is pretty funny.
>>
>Owergrowth
>tech demo with a set of cool mechanics
>no content

>Receiver
>tech demo with a set of cool mechanics
>no content

guy needs a manpower to make actual games from his ambitions
>>
>>330609091
I don't even remember how many years ago i played this and it's still in beta?
>>
>>330613472
He did make one actual game, which Overgrowth is a sequel to, called Lugaru.
It's breddy good. Fairly long, has some excellent stealth mechanics where you gotta watch the wind and keep your shit not-bloody else wolves will smell you before you can shank 'em in the back.
>>
>>330613917
Yeah, forgot about Lugaru. But he made it before he got big
>>
>>330613782

The game is barely any different than how it was over a year ago. It's effectively vaporware now.
>>
>>330609091
Sucks to think that if development had begun around the time game engines started being affordable for indies David wouldn't have made the terrible choice of writing his own from scratch.

Only a couple years and UE3, Unity, CryEngine would already have released their modern licensing schemes. The game would be finished by now.
>>
>>330614249
not really
>Overgrowth a219 video changelog
>March 11th
>>
>>330614437
I can't recall any UE, Unity or CryEngine game that had animations so good
>>
>>330613032
dat ass in game though
>>
>>330612675
>I dunno why people are paying $20 for Black Mesa.
It's been on sale more than once by now. You'd have to be an idiot to pay $20 for it.
>>
>>330614743

And what changed?

People keep listing the last changelog but fail to mention what changed and how long it took. Most of the changes are bug fixes that should have been resolved a year ago. The "larger" changes are rarely interesting enough to be worth the wait.
>>
>>330614954
Fuck off
>>
>>330613917
I miss a bunch of the shit in the original. No proper disarming in Overgrowth, nor countering jumps or leg-cannons.
>>
>>330615158
have you ever went at such a high speed that he gets stuck in a wall?

i've done that to expose his lower body, nothing better than a yummy defenseless butt
>>
>>330615149
dunno, it's just being actually developed = not vaporware, i think
the snail speed of the development is different question
>>
>>330614437

I thought Overgrowth has been in development since Lugaru released. It was early access well before early access was a thing.
>>
>>330615498

If you want to be pedantic, it's not literally vaporware. What I should have said is that I treat it like vaporware, which means that I no longer bother to follow its development or have any interest in it.
>>
>>330615852
That'll do. Same tbqh
>>
>>330612675
>starsector
playin that shit right now family. ship to ship combat is amazing, steller overmap needs work. outposts when.
>>
>>330612675
DON'T BUY EARLY ACCESS EVER

would you pay for a quarter built house?
would you pay for a half built car?
would you pay for a third made sandwich?

NO idiot it doesn't matter what "content" is there it's supposed to be a full product
>>
>>330616440
>would you pay for a quarter built house?
Actually, you pay to even start building a house
>>
>>330616440
>would I pay for a third made sandwich
I've bought bread before so yes
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.