[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So now that the dust is over, why did people hate this so much?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
So now that the dust is over, why did people hate this so much? Was it just hype backlash?
It's unfortunate how much content didn't make it into the final game, and I think Kojima certainly should take some of that blame, but I don't think it was a bad game at all.
A bit patchy in places, but it has the best gameplay in the series, the open world angle was very interesting, and it had a really enjoyable plot that was much more mysterious and engaging than previous games. Some of the plot resolutions left a lot to be desired, but for the most part I enjoyed it.

It didn't come close to beating Bloodborne for my GOTY, but I still thoroughly enjoyed this game.
>>
Feel free to browse 4chan's archives and read the hundreds of threads discussing the game and what some people dislike about it.
>>
I loved the game, I still play it all the time. It sucked about all of the content they cut from the final release, but I haven't been so engrossed in a game for a long time. This game has actually got me to pay attention to the rest of the series - never had a playstation as a kid so I missed out on all the others but I look forward to the rest.
>>
File: proper bow.jpg (96 KB, 338x506) Image search: [Google]
proper bow.jpg
96 KB, 338x506
>>330594570
I apologise. It was improper of me to attempt to discuss video games.
Please, forgive my rudeness.
>>
>>330594848
We have this same thread like thirty times a day. Do you really not know why people dislike it? Do you never come on /v/? I just don't understand the point of these threads over and over again.
>>
>Play it the first time
>Disappointing af

>Bout half a year later
>Just replayed the game
>It's fucking fantastic
>Ton of subtext, foreshadowing and themes I didn't really notice or pay attention to before
>>
>>330594461
>I think Kojima certainly should take some of that blame
Agreed. Shame it's not a very popular opinion.
>>330595210
>We have this same thread like thirty times a day
We used to. The discussion has died down. It's been like 6 months.
>>
>>330595431
>The discussion has died down.
Not as much as you might expect.
>>
It was repetitive as hell

Did you guys enjoy Prisoner Extraction #85 or #231 more?
>>
>>330595586
I know there's a different thread up but I haven't been seeing it nearly as much. Probably like 10 threads at most over the course of a week. Shitty measurements, I know but I don't count the threads actively.
>>
>>330594461
>>330594650
>mfw these kojimadrones doing mental gymnastics to delude themselves into thinking the phantom pain was anything other than a giant piece of shit
>>
>>330594461
anyone got a good torrent?
>>
>>330594461
The gameplay's terribly balanced and the level design is egregiously dull save for the few moments where the game isn't afraid to restrict the player a bit. The open world angle is interesting, but it undermines the tension that holds a stealth game together. The game tries (however halfheartedly) to address all of the player's options with enemy adaptation, but it just isn't even close to being enough.

The story is irredeemable dogshit despite resting on some interesting thematic ideas. It never goes anywhere. Instead of even a basic investigation of something like linguistic relativism or cultural identity it settles with tying together a goofy villain's motivations with a laughable plot regarding parasites. In terms of narrative it's very hollow. Baby Liquid and Baby Mantis are only in the game as an insincere gesture toward the fanbase. Remember that time Liquid didn't wear a shirt and piloted a Metal Gear!? You get to have that again! But he's 12! Isn't that fucking great?

Even some of the more clever things the game tries to do fall flat because the rest of the story doesn't deliver either. Skull Face's amusingly anticlimactic death has something about revenge being unsatisfying or fickle buried in there, but it doesn't really resonate because he's such an easily ignored and pointless character to begin with. Similarly, The Big Reveal doesn't quite land either. Are we supposed to be grateful for Venom being a generic player avatar? Are we supposed to be upset with Big Boss and Zero's machinations? Either way it doesn't matter, because Venom is a very passive and inobtrusive character and his life as the medic is basically unknown to us. Furthermore, we know he ends up going along with Big Boss's dickery anyway. So who the fuck cares?
>>
/v/ realised that Kojima is a hack and needs an editor to make anything approaching good.
>>
>>330594461
>>330596454
For what it's worth I still don't think the game is totally awful. If you love it good on you. No one's stopping you. But what people take issue with should be pretty obvious.
>>
File: NUCLEAR MAN.jpg (301 KB, 749x749) Image search: [Google]
NUCLEAR MAN.jpg
301 KB, 749x749
I think at this point the series goes 3 > 1 >= 2 >= V > 4 = PW

It's somewhere in the middle. It's story doesn't feel as masterful as 1 or 3, but it's gameplay is some of the best in gaming, and the actual story still isn't lacking. I think the game's main problem is that it's now Tactical Espionage Operations instead of Tactical Espionage Action. Themes and story elements had to be stretched over a very long game.

I also attribute the hate to the trailers kind of subverting people's expectations. It made it out that we'd see a very clear and defined change in Snake and be able to call him a "demon" by the time things were finished. But in reality, just as has always been outlined in Metal Gear, there's never a clear bad guy, just different sides.
>>
>>330597039
I prefer the classic games myself (MG2 through MGS2, including Ghost Babel). I think the series started to fall apart with MGS3.
>there's never a clear bad guy
Villains having motivations doesn't somehow make them any less morally abhorrent. Big Boss happened to be fucked over, but his plots in the MSX games were still extremely assholish. Ditto for Liqud and Ocelot.
>>
File: 1452219835756.png (21 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1452219835756.png
21 KB, 640x640
>>330595951
Having fun regardless.
>>
>>330594461
Metal Gear Solid always traded on having an interesting plot. Sometimes it went overboard and sometimes it was just kitch but premise of this game and the hype around it was shit showing the transition of Big Boss to the series villain role and the formation of Outer Heaven.

It didn't do either of those things. Now who's fault was that? I truly don't care. The game on its own merits could've taken that as a subversion if it intentionally took the game in another direction. But it doesn't adequately explore any plot it brings up. We don't find out who Skullface is until after he's dead, a horrid method of pacing the villain of the game. The slow revelation of the Vocal Parasites is the closest thing the game has to an arc, but all of "The Truth" tapes are nonsensical at best taking what is clearly supposed to be a postgame perspective change and just using it to explain a handful problems. The last real mission is about Quiet who is a tertiary character at best, and all emotional weight hinges on the player accepting contrivances to corroberate her simply not taking the VCP cure. And supposed real arc running through the second chapter is the Children's revolt with most new missions detailing that, but its conclusion was cut. The aversions and anticlimaxes don't provide a satisfactory experience.

The game itself is poised like an online game rather than a single player one. All the deployments to kill or capture 4 soldiers felt like such busywork and too localized to actually be something to deploy Big Boss over. I never felt the scope of the game warranted the huge areas outside of Backup Back Down. The supposedly adaptive game mechanics just melts into a pile of goo because of the predictable routines of the AI. No one is ever concerned about finding sleeping soldiers unless they see them fall down, and predictably saunter up to them to kick them awake.
>>
my biggest problem with the game, other than the incomplete chapter, is how the world feels empty, yes I have fun fucking around in bases but everytime you need to go to point A to point B is a struggle between wasting time on a horse/jeep to reach there, or use the helicopter and waste more time with loadings and that fucking unskipable animation everytime you load a point of the map
>>
>no random mujahideen v soviet battles
>>
The actual game is incredibly barren with a majority of missions AND side missions being in the same vein of infiltrate camp and recapture pow for the entire game. Only a couple main missions break that too.

I enjoyed it for a while but it got really bad and didn't recover. 90% of the game story being told through random fucking audio tapes was a really dumb decision too. It's awkward.
>>
>>330594461
>best gameplay in the series
Confirmed for OP's first Metal Gear game.
>>
>>330596243
that one fitgirl repack on kat cr retard, it takes 5 fucking seconds to find a good torrent
>>
>>330594461
It's a fantastic game that was unfinished, but not in the way that most games are unfinished these days. The last part of the game just feels like its missing, and the repeat missions in Chapter 2 also seem to be filler thrown in to meet the launch.

I actually really enjoyed the story and themes, and the gameplay is 10/10.

Still, I think a lot of people are hung up on what the game could have been if Kojima had actually finished it. Then again, there's always a ton of cut stuff that Kojima ends up talking about after every MGS game, so maybe no one should really be surprised.

Still, this one did feel very abrupt in its ending. Overall I think it's a fantastic game that suffers from literally missing its third act.

I actually loved the twist in the end and would like to see Venom move forward as the new protagonist of MGS (if Konami makes more). I wish his purpose after the game's story wasn't just to die in BB's place in Metal Gear.
>>
The two final chapters requiring googling and essentially spoiling yourself to unlock is pretty ridiculous.

Tons of weapons to choose from, but only silenced weapons are viable if you want to finish the missions in a timely manner.
>>
File: CKUjN9PXAAAn6jU.jpg (31 KB, 504x336) Image search: [Google]
CKUjN9PXAAAn6jU.jpg
31 KB, 504x336
>>330597039
>V being higher than 4 and PW
>>
File: 1394136444123.jpg (49 KB, 419x528) Image search: [Google]
1394136444123.jpg
49 KB, 419x528
>>330597251

This guy gets it.

MGS3 is where shit became stupid. Should've ended with 2.

Still, 3, 4 and PW were still great games in their own right.

V is the only one I'd just call mediocre and without value. I consider it the most disappointing game of all time.
>>
>>330601226
he's dead
>>
>>330601226
>would like to see Venom move forward as the new protagonist
He's barely a character. There isn't any room for him to be a protagonist anyway.

I don't understand what you see in him. He has very little personality or characteristics. He's a player avatar in Big Boss's image put in Big Boss's role. That's all. He has no drive of his own.
>>
>>330599669
i read comments people complaining about it. Figured it was shit. fat girl hasn't been good in the past either.
>>
Gameplay consisted of "Go here, extract X."

Occasionally you might be allowed to shoot X instead, or you just have to reach X with no extraction.
>>
>>330594461
Honestly my only problem with it is that the "Phantom Episode" wasn't finished so it made the rest of the game after chapter one pretty gey. The unanswered question of Why the fuck is liquid not using salad-philanthropist in MGS1 when he fucking stole that shit and what the fuck does he do with the parasite he stole Having that being unanswered as canon is just annoying. All in all the game would've been pretty good if the game was Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain/Phantom Mission all in one package. I'd also like smaller open world areas. Leave the facilities the same but shorten the distance between them. God I hope they make a directors cut as Kojima's las hurrah and last thing he does with Konami sometime in the future.
>>
>>330594461

First Chapter was pretty good until the last few episodes. I found the end to be disappointing.

The second chapter is mostly the same thing with increased difficulty. Gets tiring.

The game was good for about a few hours.

6/10
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.