[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you think Metal Gear Solid V holds up to the other Metal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8
File: images.jpg (13 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
13 KB, 194x259
How do you think Metal Gear Solid V holds up to the other Metal Gear games?
>>
>>330594382
quite low.
the gameplay's great for the most part, but the story really falls flat.

MGS works better in smaller, more contained settings.
>>
>>330594382
It really felt more like a spinoff than a main game, which is fine because I like how MGS4 ended it all
>>
>>330594382

What went wrong /v/?
>>
>>330594382
All of them are pretty shit, so fine.
>>
1. MGS 2
2. MGS 3
3. MGS PW
4. MGS V
5. MGS IV
6. MGS
7. MGS PO
>>
How long until a collection release for the ps4?
>>
>>330594382
not as good as 1/2/3. still a good videogame though, had lotsa fun with it. I think it could have used more vehicles and more shit to do in the open areas, but hey.
>>
>>330594382
Not nearly as good as the other mainline titles

It's still leagues above PW (though that's not saying much) and a good game overall, but it lacks what really made the other MGS games great
>>
File: hideotube.png (460 KB, 813x644) Image search: [Google]
hideotube.png
460 KB, 813x644
It would be loved if it wasn't called MGSV. If it was marketed as a open world spinoff game focused on shorter missions and basebuilding then most of the criticisms wouldn't have been made. It wouldn't have mattered that the story didn't have that big an impact on the lore and the cutscenes were short. And it wouldn't have been as big a deal that you weren't Big Boss.

I sorta wonder if Kojima kinda knew this and calling it V instead of 5 was some sort of compromise with the Konami suits who wanted to put a 5 on it because that would drive sales
>>
File: 1454967744682.gif (1000 KB, 286x225) Image search: [Google]
1454967744682.gif
1000 KB, 286x225
>>330594382
We're still having these threads?

Aside from the core gameplay which consists of things like Snake's movement, iDroid integration, and just general tight controls, V falls flat in almost every regard.

Its plot is a boring, disjointed mess that manages to be less engaging than a PSP game at its best moments, and downright fucking retardedly insulting at its worst. It doesn't play to the series' strengths instead choosing to focus on a weird and badly paced narrative about the two worst plot devices ever conceived in a Metal Gear game, namely vocal chord parasites and child Mantis. Characters like Miller, Eli, Venom himself and plenty others just scream "wasted potential", while others like Huey are characterized in a really weird way when compared to previous entries.

Quiet and Code Talker are boring as well, one is used as the token waifu character and pushed on the player every two seconds despite being less memorable and interesting than fucking Fatman, while the other is used as an exposition tool to spew technobabble in tapes.

Tapes themselves are a step back from Peace Walker which managed to spend some time on each member of the cast discussing themselves or the world of the 1970s, you don't get that anymore in V. Any semblance of playfulness or fun is removed from the plot.

There's plenty else to be criticized: Outer Ops and most of the R&D developed equipment being fucking useless? Check. Boring motherbase with barely anything to do other than a Paz cocktease? Check. Spending the entire final reveal to fix a plothole that was never there in the first place? Check. Worst, most batshit insane villain to date? Check. Diamond Dogs as an organization barely having any presence in the plot, less than MSF did in Peace Walker? Check. Secrificing any sort of interesting level design for mindless resource fultoning and samey-looking outposts ? Check.

You could go on for fucking ever listing this shit. MGSV is a pretty bad MGS.
>>
>>330597079
i disagree
>>
>>330594382
It's a weak metal gear, but is better than 90% of the shit that is out there
>>
File: wuuuurds.png (572 KB, 689x720) Image search: [Google]
wuuuurds.png
572 KB, 689x720
>>330597349
do what you want, breh
>>
No one asked for my opinion but here goes: Do I find it a good game? Yes! Do I find it a good MGS game? Maybe. Other than SOME characters they brought back, I feel this one didn't nearly give the characters enough time to progress... They changed a lot of things, but was it for the better?
>>
>>330595298
Nah
1. MGS 2
2. MGS 1
3. MGS V
4. MGS 3
5. MGS 4
6. MGS PW
7. MGS PO
>>
File: preddy good.jpg (216 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
preddy good.jpg
216 KB, 1280x720
pretty good
>>
>>330598204
1. MGS1
2. MGS3
3. MGS2
4. MGS:PW
5. MGS4
6. REVENGEANCE
7. Ghost Babel
8. MG2
9. MGSV
10. MGS:PO
11. MG1
12. ACID
>>
>>330598456
>MGS1 that high but Ghost Babel and MG2 so low
Why? The story?
>>
>>330598456
>MGSV worse than Ghost Babel
Now you're just being retarded. Sure, plot was pretty shit, but it can't be as shit MGS3, that thing was just James Bond with random MGS skins thrown in.
>>
File: file.png (499 KB, 1077x623) Image search: [Google]
file.png
499 KB, 1077x623
Did /v/ subscribe to hideotube?
>>
>>330598760
Ghost Babel's fucking excellent though. It's one of my top 3 favorite games in the series, along with MG2 and MGS2.
>>
>>330598774
Yes, but I don't actually want to watch Kojima talk about movies. He likes everything he sees, he has a horrible taste
>>
>>330598867
If you're into random animu plot and art direction, then sure.
>>
>>330598959
he didn't like Inside Out
he got all pissy when the other guy brought up that it won best animated film. kojima really wanted shaun the sheep movie to win
>>
>>330599053
Or good level design and very tight gameplay. Ghost Babel isn't anymore "animu" than MGS1 is anyway.
>>
File: 24-bombs27b.gif (39 KB, 480x432) Image search: [Google]
24-bombs27b.gif
39 KB, 480x432
>>330599128
>isn't anymore "animu" than MGS1
>>
>>330599126
That's just cute
>>
>>330599359
Looks like a bipedal tank robot to me. Not too different from REX or RAY. The art direction is a little more cartoony, but I don't really see the issue with that. It works well with the GBC's colors; the game has a lot of excellent sprite work.
>>
File: Forward Slash Vee.png (791 KB, 900x1177) Image search: [Google]
Forward Slash Vee.png
791 KB, 900x1177
MGS3 > MGS1 > MGS2 > MGSV > MG2 = MGS4 > MPO > PW > MG

Ac!d 2 > Ghost Babel > Rising > Ac!d > AIDS > MGS Mobile > Snake's Revenge
>>
>>330599503
It looked really out of place back in the day though, MGS wasn't going full animu then, there was no Twin Snakes, no ACID, no Vocaloid robots, none of that shit. MGS was hardcore back then
>>
It's weird how everybody whines that MGSV didn't tie everything up, but when the time comes to rank MGS games, the one that tied it all up gets ranked as shit tier. It's not actually fun to see all the loose ends get tied up
>>
>>330599870
>It looked really out of place back in the day though.
With other games in the series? Maybe. The game is very internally consistent though.

And the actual plot and characters of the game are pretty grounded compared to MGS3 or any of the games after it, aside from Marionette Owl's intensely creepy ass. Ultimately it's about on par in that sense with MGS1 or MG2.
>>
>>330600001
They were both two extremes of the spectrum
MGS4 had too much plot, and MGSV didn't have enough
That and the way they tied up loose ends in MGS4 was half assed
>>
>>330594382
bad
>>
>>330600001
"Everybody" is a little hyperbolic. It sure as fuck isn't my issue with MGSV. The game doesn't do a whole lot of anything. I agree with >>330597079 for the most part.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.