[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Playing pic related because of the price drop with nintendo selects,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6
Playing pic related because of the price drop with nintendo selects, have played both the original and 3d version a couple of times before but it's been a few years

I know /v/ collectively shit itself when egoraptor's video came, and I never took a side on it, but now playing the game I realize the biggest problem with it

Holy fuck, this is the most tedious game I've ever played. I remember the basic path of events (forest, hyrule castle, death mountain, etc) but goddamn there's so many needless steps. To get to the second dungeon, you have to go to hyrule caste, stealth past all the guards, go to kakariko village, climb death mountain ,go back down death mountain, go to the forest, through the lost woods, learn Saria's song, go to hyrule caste town for a shield, then FINALLY you can actually go to another dungeon.

You can argue against a lot of things that are said about this game, but I think that anyone who doesn't see this being a problem has nostalgia blinders

TL;DR OoT is tedious as fuck
>>
>>330589706
tl;dr.
Fuck you.
>>
The ADD Generation everyone.
>>
>>330590063
Nigger I've played plenty of games where I've had to be patient and I've adored them. But some of the tedium in this game is genuinely inexcusable. Tell me how going back and forth to the forest with your slow ass walk makes the game better than if she had just taught you the song when she gave you the Ocarina.
>>
>>330589706
>climb death mountain ,go back down death mountain, go to the forest, through the lost woods, learn Saria's song, go to hyrule caste town for a shield, then FINALLY you can actually go to another dungeon.
That's completely wrong. There's a shortcut straight to Lost Woods from Goron City that works both ways once you open it up from the Goron side. And you get a free shield in the graveyard on your way to Death Mountain.
>>
>>330590269
Plenty of people not only excuse it but embrace it so the problem must be with you.
>>
>>330590349
You can't open the shortcut until you can use bombs, and you can't use bombs until you get the bomb bag or the bracelet that lets you pick up bomb flowers.
>>330590472
And Skyrim is the most popular ES game, doesn't mean it's the best one by far. People will find any excuse to defend a game they personally like. I'm not saying OoT is a shit game, and I think plenty of the points that Egoraptor made are wrong, but holy fuck it's tedious and if you can't accept that it's because you don't want to admit that it's flawless
>>
What a special snowflake you are OP
>>
>>330590717
>Egoraptor
I don't even know what that is.
>>
File: 1265741983042.jpg (133 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
1265741983042.jpg
133 KB, 425x282
>TL;DR
>>
>>330590717
You open the shortcut by lighting the bombs with a lit deku stick. Carry the fire up from Darunia's room, lighting the torches along the way. Talking to the gorons around the area will tell you pretty explicitly that there's a shortcut there, and you should have figured out how to light bomb flowers from opening the shop on the bottom floor.
>>
>>330589706
>To get to the second dungeon, you have to go to hyrule caste, stealth past all the guards, go to kakariko village, climb death mountain ,go back down death mountain, go to the forest, through the lost woods, learn Saria's song, go to hyrule caste town for a shield, then FINALLY you can actually go to another dungeon.
First, holy fuck you suck at this game. You should put it down.
Second, if you're just playing the game to get from one dungeon to the next, the problem isn't with the game. It's with you being impatient and not understanding what an adventure game is about. You should stick with games that are only dungeons if that's all you want to play it for.
>>
>>330590269
you're just an e-celeb's dick sucking ADHD fagget. Simple as that.
>>
>>330590717
>You can't open the shortcut until you can use bombs
how does it feel to be dumber than a literal 10 year old? Holy shit!

>holy fuck it's tedious and if you can't accept that it's because you don't want to admit that it's flawless
But I admit that it is flawless :^)
seriously nignog, your patience level and skill of immersion is that of a fucking flea's.
>>
My problem with these games is the fucking retarded save system.

>go in dungeon half way
>gotta fucking do stuff because i'm not NEET / 12 anymore
>save game
>turn on game later
>at the very start of the dungeon
This is why i've been sitting at the water dungeon in MM for months, I don't want to commit 2 hours straight to finish it.
>>
>>330591398
The dungeons are built with handy shortcuts that open up as you progress so you can easily get right back to where you were. Don't stress yourself over it.
>>
This entire thread
>You didn't know all the shortcuts therefore you suck and the game is perfect I never have to grow up!
>>
>>330591880
>I wanted to criticize a game for my own incompetence but then people called me out and slapped my stupid fucking post down and now I'm gonna pretend to be above everyone else by calling them children :(
>>
>>330589706
An adventure game that requires you to explore? What blasphemy is this?
>>
>>330591880
OP, I won't fault you for not figuring out the very obvious shortcut, as we all make mistakes from time to time.
But you can't say that walking all the way back and forth the long way is how the game is supposed to go just because you lack the ability to follow the clues the game throws at you.
>>
>>330592106
I have no problem with there being hidden shortcuts. That's great, and a neat bonus for anyone figuring it out.

BUT the game shouldn't be boring to anyone who doesn't find them.
If you have optional content, the game has to still be good without the optional content. I'm not making a DIRECT comparison because I understand that there are hardware limitations, but think about it like this. In a game like Oblivion, you can get a horse. Having this horse makes non-fast travel a more fun experience, but it's still fun to walk around because there's a lot to see on foot.

In OoT, if you don't find the shortcuts it isn't fun. If you spend the game walking between the places, it's incredibly boring. Whether or not it was the developer intended way, it should still be fun because it's a very likely way.
>>
>>330592894
>hidden
It's pointed out to you, anon. It's not some secret or anything. That how you're actually supposed to get to the Lost Woods.
>>
>>330592894
Did you seriously just say it is fun to walk around in Oblivion. Holy shit you are confirmed for worst opinions of the year, see you at the awards ceremony.
>>
>>330593206
>People shitting on me for not searching for shortcuts in Zelda because "Le adventure game!!"
>People saying that waking around isn't fun in Oblivion even though it's a game ACTUALLY designed around exploring.

>>330593201
If you talk to every NPC, yes. But the writing in Zelda games has never been interesting to me, I like them for the gameplay, so if I don't think I have to talk to someone why would I?
>>
>>330593735
>it's a game ACTUALLY designed around exploring
it isn't though.
>>
>>330589706
You know how we know this is a b8 thread?
>have played both the original and 3d version a couple of times
>climb death mountain ,go back down death mountain, go to the forest
You aren't using the shortcut the owl tells you about.
>>
>>330593735
If you're just running from one dungeon to the next without paying any attention to the world-building, or even looking around for the obvious clues then I don't think Zelda games are for you.
>>
>>330593830
How the fuck is Oblivion not designed around exploring? It's the poster child for open world games
>>
>playing TP Hd

>reach the part where you must stop the goron blocking the path to death mountain

>lol, you must go back to ordon village to get the iron boots and stop him

At least they give you epona but backtracking is pretty stupid
>>
Never played original so 3ds version was a blast for me.
I can see where all perfect scores came from since games is designed really good around almost everything.
>>
>>330594015
>You don't play the games like I do therefore you can't play them

Zelda's "world building" is shit. The dungeons are incredibly fun, but the story is so fucking generic and the world is too. It's just a Nintendo paint on tolkien-esque fantasy, which isn't a bad thing but it's certainly not amazing.

My favorite game is Fallout: New Vegas and I've probably read every NPC's dialogue in that game at least twice. That's a game where the world building excels immensely, and exploring is a rewarding experience, if not with in game benefits, then with interesting characters and stories.

Stories in games are great, so is world building. But OoT doesn't have an interesting world, it has interesting gameplay.

Also, I agree with >>330594334
Regardless of if you find the shortcut or not, the backtracking isn't fun. No one has answered the question I asked before; What am I gaining by going to the lost woods and talking to Saria that I wouldn't get if she had just taught me the song when she gave me the Ocarina?
>>
>you can't buy all the levels early as DLC
Fucking dropped!
>>
So you want Zelda to be a just a series of unconnected dungeon missions? You're playing the wrong game.
>>
>>330594334
>that one chest in Death Mountain right before the room with the big key lock
>can't get to it without coming back with the clawshot

I don't actually mind the backtracking as I'm a huge fan of Metroid & Prime.
>>
>>330594334
Honestly I don't see why people hate backtracking so much.
In this example, it's just going to a town you've been to before, and it takes about two minutes at the most to get there.
>>
File: 1289785109303.jpg (76 KB, 500x513) Image search: [Google]
1289785109303.jpg
76 KB, 500x513
>That guy who thinks Zelda is just about dungeons and everything else is tedious downtime

You're not that guy... Are you, /v/?
>>
>Price drop with Nintendo Select
>$10 drop
>NOW $29.99
Wow, thanks Nintendo
>>
>>330592894
>In a game like Oblivion, you can get a horse
And in Zelda you have Epona, or any oter creature that makes you travel fast. There are also teleport songs. Just admit that you're too stupid and impatient to explore. EXPLORING IS FUN, IT'S A BIG PART OF A SERIES.
>>
>>330595014
I see so many people here complain that you can get into the first dungeon in OoT within 10 minutes but it takes an hour or more in the other ones. I seriously don't understand this.
>>
>>330595036
Not that early in the game. It's like the running shoes in Pokemon. They're aware that the base movement speed is shit, but they want you to know how shit it is before they make it better for you, which there's no excuse for. I
>>
>>330595523
Because it's true. The gap of time between the first and second dungeon is ludicrous
>>
Zelda is Nintendos most middling franchise
>>
>>330595641
The dungeons aren't the only gameplay in Zelda. It's not like you're sitting there watching a really long cutscene, you're actually playing the game the whole time.
>>
>>330589706
>goddamn there's so many needless steps
it's not like N64 carts were lauded for their abundance of storage space

i mean the biggest technical accomplishment on that system in that timeframe was a big empty field
>>
>>330595565
That I can agree with.

The Zelda series is usually pretty good at giving you hints for what you might "want" as an upgrade or a new item, and when you finally get it it's a small achievement. At least they gave players the option to run faster in SS.
>>
>>330594685
What's in that chest? I'm playing through the game now and I remembered that specific chest but I haven't been able to make myself go all the way through the dungeon just for a chest that's probably 100 rupees.
>>
>>330596596
50 Rupees.
>>
>>330596647
Even worse. Thanks for eliminating my curiosity so I don't waste my time.

Who is the fucker that thought of that anyway?

>I'm gonna put a chest in a dungeon that you can only access with the claeshot which you can only get in the NEXT dungeon, so if someone wants it they have to come back and go through most of the dungeon
>that's a neat idea, gets more use our of items than just their specific dungeons they're found in. Whatre you gonna put in it? Heart piece? Empty bottle?
>50 rupees lol
>>
>>330597170
I imagine it must be an oversight, since there's nothing else like that in the rest of the game, or even other Zeldas.

Or a troll.
>>
>>330595031
its $25 on amazon, at the day of release it was $20, you'd be hard pressed to find a copy that isn't $50 because they stopped printing the original copy
>>
>>330589706

Have you played Okami? It's 100 times worse.

At least with OoT, you can go from dungeon to dungeon in less than 2 hours. And the dungeons in OoT are all fairly challenging.
>>
>>330595813
You may as well be for some of it. Hyrule Field is so big and empty that it's nothing but tedium
>>
>>330596107
Honestly, It's been like 2 years since I played this game last and because I've seen speedruns since then the only way I can bear to get around Hyrule Field before Epona is by Side-jumping
>>
>>330590349
Free shield in Graveyard?! Explain this please
>>
>>330599256
It takes about a minute to cross it and you rarely ever even have to.
>>
>>330599360
Then why put it there in the first place?
>>
There are plenty of things you can critique about OoT, having to play the game is not one of them.
>>
>>330599356
Go to the graveyard. Pull one of the two graves with flowers in front of them. One contains the shield and one contains a heart piece.

>>330599431
Why the fuck wouldn't it exist? It's the road between towns. If it didn't exist, one town's exit would just be another's entrance.
>>
>>330597170
They changed it so in HD it's a Miiverse stamp now. Most of the ones that had Rupees have those now, pretty much all the grotto ones you could dig into as wolf have them.
>>
>>330599642
Because it's fucking tedious.
Make it smaller and put shit in it. It's that fucking simple. You've yet to give me a reason for it to exist outside of "It's the road between towns"

There's a lot of games that have roads between towns that are actually interesting.
>>
>>330590717
You're and idiot because you didn't see the PATH OF UNLIT TORCHES FOLLOWED BY A LIT TORCH. People like you are the reason Fi exists, and the reason zelda U will be a handholding shitshow
>>
>>330600186
This was 1998. You didn't really have large open fields like this before, and it was incredibly novel at the time. Whether or not it remains interesting enough, that's up to you. Back then it was expected for players to explore rather than ask reddit where to go next.
>>
>>330602735
>Novel at the time

That literally means jack shit. Just because something is impressive at the time doesn't mean it's good, especially in the future. It's a flaw

>Explore rather than ask reddit where to go next

Then make exploring fun. Zelda did it. Zelda 2 did it. LttP did it. Ocarina failed at that.

THIS is why people get to frustrated all call Ocarina a shit game. It's not a shit game, but any time anyone brings up a flaw you people flock to defend it with "It was impressive at the time!" and "It just doesn't hold your hand!"
It holds your hand a hell of a lot more than Zelda 1 and that game kicks ass, so in the face of that people overreact and call the whole game shit. Accept that the game is flawed and still enjoy it
>>
>>330589706
>such a simple task is tedious
how do you get up in the morning, your life is tedious, forfeit it immediately.
fuck i am in true disbelief, how the fuck are you able to type a paragraph and be on 4chan if you have an attenion span of a goldfish.
is this generation fucked this badly?
how the fuck did you mange to concentrate enough to make it past the captcha?
FUCK
the steps are needless because you couldve done the first time you arrived at hyrule castle
by using the respawing pots room, you would have enough to but the hylian shield even you shouldve had enough to buy one
>>
>>330603328
Maybe you are just in the minority?

Perhaps it's time to put the game down and play something else. Or you could keep raging at the wall.
>>
>>330603336
Video games are supposed to be fun, or at least interesting. By your logic Heavy Rain isn't boring at all because, even though you do fucking nothing for the first 2 hours, you should have the attention span to wait.

And I'm sorry, but the game blatantly says that the Hylian Shield is for an adult, so I didn't bother buying it the first time I saw it. Why would I buy an item that the game is suggesting I can't even use?
>>
>>330603668
>If you don't like it it's not the game's fault, it's your fault.

So you love Bubsy, right? Or Sonic Boom? Because if you don't, it's not because they're bad games, it's because they're "not for you"
>>
>>330603815
I thought Dark Cloud 2 and Phoenix Wright were utter shit, but that doesn't mean they were necessarily bad games. I just didn't like them.
>>
>>330603815
It's okay to not like things dude.
>>
OoT is very streamlined, you can pretty much just go from area to area since they give you ahortcuts all the time when you need to backtrack.

If you think oot is the definition of tedious then you dont play many video games
>>
>>330599256
Hyrule field was big, back in the day when no one knew what an "open world" 3d game was

In reality it takes about 40 seconds to cross it on foot for most locations. Its extremely small
>>
>>330589706
I'm re-playing it right now (N64). The only this I've found tedious thus far is the fucking water temple thanks to menu-screen boot switching.

Going through Hyrule field is fine. The distances are short as a kid and aiming your side-hops (much faster) is pretty fun.

That said I can see what you mean OP. Some older games could get to the fucking point a bit faster. The opening of OoT is pretty slow- in my view it only really picks up by the 3rd dungeon, perhaps the path up to it. The first two are unremarkable.
>>
File: 1449092082331.gif (3 MB, 345x260) Image search: [Google]
1449092082331.gif
3 MB, 345x260
>>330603815
Did you seriously just compare mother fucking OoT to bubsy and sonic boom?

You should feel ashamed
>>
File: dark horse.jpg (81 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
dark horse.jpg
81 KB, 800x450
>>330594334
>At least they give you epona but backtracking is pretty stupid
You know what annoys me more than the backtracking for this part? Just as you need Epona to hop a fence she comes barreling towards you from who knows where, shaking off the would be captures just as you see her.

One of those literary rules (that aren't absolutes by any means) applies here, coincidences that get you in trouble are fine but coincidences that get you out of trouble are poor writing.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.