[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what went right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
File: rs.jpg (217 KB, 765x503) Image search: [Google]
rs.jpg
217 KB, 765x503
what went right?
>>
>>330577753

Not a whole lot in hindsight. Soundtrack and community I guess.
>>
when i phished accounts from mongs in the early 2000s

shit was good
>>
>>330577753
oldschool runescape still exists
>>
Nothing, it was WoW for poor people.
>>
>>330577753
It tried to incorporate features and mechanics from cRPGs, while keeping it's own unique twist on it.

Rather than the copy-paste business model we have today.
>>
vanilla game was shit but at least it had some charm

anything past like 2006 is garbage tier
>>
You weren't forced through dumb fucking quests.
All the quests in it are unique and only a couple of them are actual fetch quests.
>>
>>330578452
>only a couple of them are actual fetch quests.

One Small Favor was fun
>>
>>330578602
Granted, but besides that one, there really isn't that much room to complain about quests.
I enjoyed getting quest cape.
>>
the quests
>>
>>330577753
good music good quests, a nice place to chat

too much skill level dick waving tho
>>
>>330578602

Deconstruction of fetch quests.
>>
>>330580715
Kek I know. That's why it was so great
>>
>>330578602

one of the longest quests, could start from a low level and ended once you were level 100 or something
>>
>tfw spending pocket money on my pay as you go phone so I could pay for membership and farm flax for mega bucks
>>
File: QOJYBxwo9U4.jpg (86 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
QOJYBxwo9U4.jpg
86 KB, 604x604
>log in to old school runescape to check it out
>check friends list
>friend from middleschool is still playing the game

oh lord
>>
Firs tf2p game even if it wasn't even f2p.

I'm waiting in hopes that they'll release a mobile version. There's no reason there can't be one for osrs at the very least. It's all clicking and literally perfect for a phone or tablet.
>>
>>330578452
>>330580105
>>330580715
this and soundtrack
and the option to choose which song was playing
>>
File: 99c.png (3 KB, 29x59) Image search: [Google]
99c.png
3 KB, 29x59
just fuck my game up
>>
>>330581380
So how exactly would you right-click? Runescape is unplayable without it.
>>
File: runescape cosplay.jpg (106 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
runescape cosplay.jpg
106 KB, 500x750
- Cool midi soundtrack
- Varied locations
- Varied and interesting quests (an almost total lack of bullshit "Kill 50 kobold" quests)
- The community
- Rewarding and dangerous PVP
- Lots of stuff to do when you weren't questing
- Large area for free players that was playable in browser, so lots of kids could do fun shit even if their parents refused to pay for anything
>>
>>330583121
Double tap. Duh.
>>
>>330577753
One of the few MMORPGs that didn't make everything outside of combat pointless.
>>
>>330577753
Incentive to level up, quests, cool world. The game goes stale when it's all about levelling skills for the levels and not any goal besides that. So, game should've remained in 2007 and shifted focus to doing just that, finishing the game with the original goal in fucking mind.
>>
>>330577753

music
quests
skill system
n64 graphics (believe it or not I still prefer these to modern games unless it's WoW because of the neat artstyle)
freedom
overall deuchebaggery of players
>>
Complete player freedom.

You could decide what to level without being locked into a 'class'

Players decided what to sell at what price.

Quests weren't forced down your throat, you could do anything or nothing if it was your desire.

Lots of content for free to play to give prospective players a good look into what the game was like

Regularly updated content, although this led to its downfall.
>>
A highly interactable game world, even compared to most single player RPGs
>>
>>330581226
I'm not saying you're lying but don't you have to create a new character for old school runescape so I fail to see how you could see your friends.
>>
Runescape was my first MMO. I remember being surprised when I found out that people who got killed in WoW didn't lose all their shit. I thought ti was pretty lame that they were playing such a low stakes game when they fought other players.
When I played WoW getting killed didn't really bother me because I just had to pay some cash to fix my shit. Getting killed in Runescape when you had expensive gear would give me a heart attack.
>>
>>330584586
You can see if they're playing on any game. Deadman darks cape osrs or rs3.
>>
>>330577870
>community I guess.
A double crossing community that was out to scam people 24/7 and made their fun by stabbing people in the back is now a cumminity that went right?
>>
File: 1452956046657.gif (2 MB, 208x200) Image search: [Google]
1452956046657.gif
2 MB, 208x200
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nidFjWK8rik
>>
File: 1 SPHERE.png (199 KB, 400x359) Image search: [Google]
1 SPHERE.png
199 KB, 400x359
>>330585926
>literally couldn't handle the bantz
>>
>>330585926
Yes. Unlike care bear hugspace in every other game, Runescape was like the Wild West, especially before they put all those lame ass indicators in the trade window.
>>
>>330586279
It's not even the indicators that matter it's when they literally removed the ability to trade. You could only "loan" shit. It was awful. That's when everyone stopped playing anyway right before the ge. Then the mass exodus was attributed to the ge which was a great feature with a poor implementation of its own.
>>
>>330586279
luring people was SO FUCKING FUN. that rush of adrenaline when the target was about to run into wildy, then barraging them + dds speccing. wew lad, got a bit of a rush just thinking back to it. made like $1200 rwting when i was 13, life was good back then
>>
File: 1447102712540.gif (112 KB, 133x121) Image search: [Google]
1447102712540.gif
112 KB, 133x121
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwY4dsU3nlI
>>
>>330586628
>the community sucking is actually a good thing, believe it!
>>
>>330586049
>>330586279
>>330585926

Runescape was THE best way to learn to be fucking careful on the goddamn internet.
The community was great, lively and full of friendly people, social people, and there was always people to talk to. But in any great community there will be people there to shit it up for the inexperienced/stupid and they themselves were friends with other rusemasters.

You're a fucking LIAR if you haven't felt true satisfaction from scamming some faggot/watching them get scammed when it's happened to you and you remember how stupid you felt.

RS was the wild west of MMOs and it was no holds barred until it turned into pussyscape.
>>
>>330586628
People realizing how much they want the G.E. back is all you need to know about the G.E. it's quality of life update that is so extremely useful for saving time. You don't realize how dependant you are on it until it's gone. Now, there's some charm to trading with players, but goddamn it's a fucking chore waiting for someone to log on all week.
>>
I did like how all banks were populated before the GE and you basically went to specific banks/locations if you knew you wanted to buy a specific good. Catherby beach/fishing guild docks for most fish, Seers bank for most trees. I also loved buying magic tree seeds and shit for 10-20k in Seers bank and reselling on the forums for huge profits. Made the world feel more alive. Didn't really hate the GE though.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.