[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats the verdict on this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: i.jpg (12 KB, 374x215) Image search: [Google]
i.jpg
12 KB, 374x215
Whats the verdict on this?
>>
>>330533795

GotY 2015 and my favorite RPG of all time.

Not even kidding. Played through multiple times with every major path. Absolutely love that shit. Been holding off until they finish the post-release content and then I'm going back in.
>>
>>330533918
I hate rpg codex elitist so fucking much
>>
>>330533795
>>330533918
RPG Codex: The Game
Designed to be everything these D&D lore apologists want in a game, as a results it's not even remotely fun.
>>
>>330533918
Could you elaborate, please? I love games with deep reactivity and actually branching story but frankly, combat "inspired by Fallout" is something I'm cautious about.
>>
>>330534162
he's a fucking codex drone, don't expect too much
>>
>>330534162
>turned based combat
>means inspired by fallout
fucking post millennials
>>
>>330534162

It refers to Fallout 1 and 2, not 3.
It's turn based Isometric.
>>
>>330534094

Good thing I don't have an RPG Codex account.

Any more.

>>330534162

It does have good reactivity and branching story, but a few things to keep in mind are it doesn't always show options you can't access, and you can't really spread your skills thin. You can be a talky fighter for example, but you sure as fuck want to get your fighter shit bolted down tight before you start taking some talking skills.

The combat is really rough. You'll be by yourself 90% of the time (No party members, very rarely have friendly combatants) and outnumbered, so you have to rely on using consumables like poisons, bombs, and nets a lot to even things up in your favor. On the plus side, there's no leveling up in the game so there's no case where someone flat out has a freakish amount of HP or whatever. On the down side, offensive and defensive skills matter hugely, and if you don't even have ANY combat skills you'll be raped by a hobo with a knife.

I think they've got a demo with the first town, would be worth taking a look at. It's actually one of the harder areas since you haven't got decent equipment or skills, but it'll give you an idea of what shit's like.
>>
>>330534418
Duh. And Fallout's combat has never been its strong point. It's serviceable but that's all it has going for itself.

>>330534320
Devs specifically said it was Fallout style.
>>
>>330534505

>Duh. And Fallout's combat has never been its strong point. It's serviceable but that's all it has going for itself.

How would you design it not to be shit, tho? It's designed to be an RPG.
>>
>>330534448
what do you think about pillars of eternity and wasteland 2?
>>
>dead State and this game's engine
literally couldn't get past two hours in the former and I didn't even get to finish the demo for the latter
>>
>>330534982

Wasteland 2 is a big awful shit. Which is a damn shame, but I start gnashing my teeth every time I try to play it and then the sniper rifles have such limited range shitheads can run up and machete your sniper in one turn.

I would have had really stern words about Pillars of Eternity too, but I've been replaying it since the expansion is all out now and I'm enjoying it more than I did the first time. The setting is still incredibly generic, it's even less reactive than fucking Baldur's Gate (BG1 NPCs would attack you if you did anything counter to their beliefs, for example), and I don't really care about the story or almost all the NPCs, but after patching/the expansion/playing on hard and expert mode it's actually an alright IE-like experience combat-wise. So pretty ok as long as you're just looking for a combat game.
>>
>>330535242

Worth noting part of why it's better now after patching is because someone apparently locked Sawyer in a closet and added some immunities to enemies. You can no longer, for example, trip flying ghosts or squidging oozes using a fucking grease spell.
>>
>>330535242
>>330534448
Good taste.
>>
>>330533795
Not as good as Pillars
With less generic writing and more balanced combat system could be a pretty good rpg.
>>
>>330535464
Awful bait.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.