[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Souls 2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: 2453020-wharf_gs_thumb.jpg (58 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
2453020-wharf_gs_thumb.jpg
58 KB, 1280x720
What the fuck is going on? This is the only Souls game I haven't played so I figured I would try it out in preparation for three.

This feels like a early 2000s mod with how it is designed. I seriously can't tell if I'm doing something wrong or if I'm just completely incompetent at the game.

I got to No Man's Wharf and it just makes me want to pop Bloodborne, DeS, or DaS in instead. Seriously why the fuck are there so many enemies here? There are so many that if you run passed some they can get in such large groups that it physically makes them unable to move around as they all get stuck.

It's so jarring it actually strikes me as some sort of hard mode mod you would expect someone to make by just multiplying the enemy amount by 10.

Will this get better? I've never been so putoff from a game before. I've hated absolutely everything about this game so far, which is weird because the other three games are among my all time favorites.
>>
No. Drop it and play a good game instead.
>>
>>330511942
How can it be this bad though? I seriously don't get what happened. It isn't even just bad level design and enemy placement. Nothing feels good.

Everything feels floaty like I'm playing a mod. Enemies will attack me and I won't even have a hit animation or sound effect yet take I still take damage.

Does it even run on the same engine as Dark Souls? It feels so different. It's like a knockoff. I doubt Miyazaki's influence was THAT massive
>>
>>330512372
It's not that bad, it's dissapointing compared to Demon's, Dark and Bloodborne.
>>
It helps to use a bow. Also a pharos lock stone to turn on a light to scare some enemies.
>>
>>330511813
Same here OP, Invested hundreds of hours in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls and I quit DS2 after 20. It's just boring and it looks so bad. Just adding more enemies to every area doesn't make the game hard, it just gets boring. It's also easier than the other 2. VERY disappointed too.
>>
>>330512449
Am I just in a low point of the game then? This is literally the second area of the game as far as I can tell. It just feels so tedious. The area is like a musou game or something. I don't want to fucking deal with 50+ vikings just to die again
>>
>>330511813
a lot of the zones in this game are just small areas clusterfucked with enemies

some of the zones in the game are really neat, to be fair, but a lot of them just feel like linear, filler trash.
>>
had a similar experience OP, it's just a bad game. just bought bloodborne and am pleasantly surprised that its got that demons souls/dark souls feel to it again. its great so far.

this should be a bloodborne thread now
>>
>>330512832
One of the low points because there's a lot of them. There's still time to drop it and play something better.
>>
I told you not to play that one, and wait for 3 instead. Why didn't you listen?
>>
>>330511813
Floaty slow gameplay that feels nothing like the entire series.
Let's just say it's a spinoff and get on with it. Dark Souls 3 won't be nearly this bad.
>>
>>330511813
It's really not that hard anon.
>>
>>330512832
Honestly, the wharf might be one of the best levels in the game.
>>
>>330512372
There are better areas and some areas that are genuinely exciting. Then there's the Old Iron Keep...
>>
>>330512907
Yeah Bloodborne is absolutely amazing. Dark Souls was good, but disappointing coming from Demon's Souls. Bloodborne feels like a true successor to DeS. It doesn't just copy it but tries to do something new and it succeeds wonderfully with it. DaS gave me deja vu, but BB was a fresh experience

>>330513032
Because I almost always disagree with /v/ hive mind. In this case though they were definitely right
>>
>>330512832
The only advice I can give is to go slower and try to pull less enemies. Use a bow also. The monster things are afraid of light. You can either use your torch or a lockstone.
>>
>>330511813

Just drop the game senpai. A lot of the satisfaction in Dark Souls 2 is from fighting bosses. Everything else just feels so ametuer and really poorly thought out.
>>
>>330513189
Never had that feeling. Dark Souls was a completely new experience with a massive world to explore. The gameplay was also a step up from DeS.
>>
>>330513352
There are some nice moments with the bosses, when you figure out where to stand so you don't need to dodge. Love the sentinels for this, had a lot of fun cooping there, but a lot of other bosses in 2 have such gaps as well.
>>
>>330513352
I really loved all those guys in armor with the additional enemies.
>>
>>330513427
It gimped bows and magic and made them feel like shit. A lot of the enemies and NPC ideas were 1:1 copies from DeS. The open world element didn't contribute anything meaningful to the game. Removal of healing items and the item burden made it feel less like an RPG. Bonfire and estus system just made the whole game feel like a series of checkpoints where nothing before the checkpoint mattered.
>>
>>330514039
Most of the shit you're saying is just your opinion.
You're complaining about the game having less RPG elements like grass and bonfires, and yet you say Bloodborne is a fresh new experience.
I love all the games, but you're just full of shit.
>>
File: 1457218163450.jpg (98 KB, 800x806) Image search: [Google]
1457218163450.jpg
98 KB, 800x806
>>330513747
>fume knight
>looking glass knight
>pursuer
>dragon rider
>smelter demon
>pursuer
>2 dragon riders
>sir alonne
>Vendrick
>2 pursuers
>throne defender
>throne watcher
>blue smelter demon
>gank squad
>burnt ivory king
>ruin sentinels

No really, the variety is staggering.
>>
>>330511813
Nice meme
>>
Game failed to live up to dark souls 1 in every aspect. Level design alone killed that game. Go play demon souls or dark souls for a good game.
>>
>>330512372

The game was hastily put together due to some interference on Namco Bandai's part. There are a lot of concepts that simply didn't make it into the game, and I'm sure the mechanics and general gameplay "feel" were part of those unfinished concepts.

It's pretty impressive that they put it out and still managed to receive a lot of praise, but it definitely is a very disappointing sequel.

Honestly, if you're not enjoying it, then I suggest just dropping it and waiting for DaSIII or some other game you like. There's no point in playing something you don't enjoy.
>>
>>330511813
>Seriously why the fuck are there so many enemies here?
Because they're all weak enemies that die in 2 hits? Dark Souls and Bloodborne did the exact same thing, but it's okay when the A-team does it, I guess.

>There are so many that if you run passed some they can get in such large groups that it physically makes them unable to move around as they all get stuck.
Would you prefer if they just clipped right through each other and you couldn't funnel them at all? The levels are designed to give you choke points so you can use that fact to your advantage.
>>
I dunno why everyone here hates ds2 I have a hundred hours in it and I can say it's been fun, sure 1 was better but I never felt so strongly against it.
>>
>>330511813
>why the fuck are there so many enemies here?
No Man's Wharf is easy when you find the right path. It's just the one spot by the stair that's tricky.
>>
PLAY: Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, and Bloodborne

Skip Dark Souls 2. I Regret buying SOTF.
>>
>>330516809
I'm playing SotFS at the moment and I'm having fun. I'm sure vanilla was worse. Also I wasn't on the hype train.
>>
>>330516809

Why waste hundreds of hours when its inferior to the first game?

Fucking idiot
>>
>>330511813
They balance out the gangbang mob with the despawn mechanic.
>>
>>330517265
Don't you mean the infinite healing?
>>
>>330511813
I made it through 92% of the game with only two bonfires between me and the final crown, sunk around 60 hours into it. Just found out there's no steam cloud support, so after a windows update my save is fucked.

Fair warning, and I don't think I'm going to do a new playthrough either.
>>
>>330517098
I put a hundred hours in the first game and had fun as well, maybe stop getting mad about video games?
>>
>>330516589
>Because they're all weak enemies that die in 2 hits? Dark Souls and Bloodborne did the exact same thing, but it's okay when the A-team does it, I guess.
Dark Souls and Bloodborne built up to it more than Dark Souls 2 did. Areas in those two were designed around the fact that at some point the amount of mobs would drastically increase in some way.

To pull an example from Demon's (sorry, played it recently), the bridge you cross on 1-2 where the dragon periodically sweeps it has large amounts of mobs placed as a logical obstacle between player and endpoint. It's by nature a timed sequence with a few solutions.

At the beginning of Bloodborne, around the fire in Yharnam where there's a large group of mobs, there are three ways to tackle the situation. It's not a timed section, so you can take it slower. You can go around and try a sneakier approach, taking them out one-by-one. You can go all-in and just start wiping the flood with them. You can just run past them and move on. All playstyles are valid, and while some are easier than others, they all can be used strategically to allow the player to get a better handle on the situation and the AI.

By comparison, Dark Souls II's only options are to just fight and funnel. No Man's Wharf is a perfect example of this. It's usually a slow, arduous process. Unlike the other games, enemies don't really have a range where they lose interest in the player and are liable to chase them constantly. It's the type of thing that sounds good on paper, but shows a lack of understanding in how people enjoy playing these games. It's not an inherently bad choice, but it's one made less for the sake of challenging the player and more for the sake of fucking with the player for a bit.
>>
>>330511813
the wholes games thing is just ganking you with tons of mobs
its like that in literally every zone and boss and sotfs just amps it up
play bloodborne instead
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.