[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what was the verdict?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9
File: controller.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
controller.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
So what was the verdict?
>>
>>330510874
Just tried one out for the first time tonight.

It's shit.
>>
Its shit, I bought it thinking the motioin controls would be comfy for light driving games.

They aren't.
>>
it's shit like everything valve has done in the past 6 years or so. they've been half assing everything they've done since portal 2
>>
Do you still need to be running Steam for the controller to actually work properly? That was always the deal breaker for me.
>>
its touchy, but it works once you get used to it. i do expect a revision somewhere down the line though

>>330513226

yes, but at least it isnt big picture mode anymore
>>
>>330510874
I like it. Works for everything except fps but that's fine for me. If you are willing to learn to use it and adapt to it it's great. Just don't except plug and play like the Xbox controller to PC. You have to set configs for the sc.
>>
What can you even play on this piece of shit?
>>
>>330513950
Everything. SC is amazing for emulation pcsx2 and dolphin. I've seen people try it for counter strike but fuck that
>>
guilty
>>
My most regretful vidya purchase.
>>
>>330514128
You should be able to return it. I helped my mom do so through steam.
>>
>>330510874
It's pointless

Less precise then keyboard and mouse and less convenient then a regular 360 or whatever controller
>>
loud and useless
>>
>>330511924
Give it some time, its really different from a traditional gamepad and it takes some getting used to. Once you're past the initial shock its a great gamepad. Probably the best ever made for PC games and even FPS. Though you'll still want a keyboard and mouse for when you're going to really play.
>>
>>330510874
I love mine, though it's got a steep learning curve, takes a long while before it clicks. I find I can be a lot more accurate than with a more traditional controller, though its still a step below keyboard and mouse. Maybe the novelty just hasnt run out for me yet but its just really fun to use for some reason, the motion controls help
>>
>>330514292
Your mom plays video games? How big is her rack?
>>
>>330513931
>>330516013
>>330515891
OP here, gotta agree with these guys, at first I was super taken aback by how it felt, but after only a few days of owning one I'm already getting a good feel for it. And it feels really, really good.
first impressions aren't everything. i'll stop shilling now
>>
>>330515891
I didn't actually buy one. I tried it out a a buddy's place and was not impressed.

I already have a perfectly fine controller to use and I use mouse and keyboard when needed. I don't need one device that does a mediocre job of trying to replace both.

Not only that but the face buttons and triggers are mushy as shit and feel terrible.
>>
File: DOG_controller_MED.jpg (343 KB, 2000x1434) Image search: [Google]
DOG_controller_MED.jpg
343 KB, 2000x1434
>>330510874
This is the best version.
>>
>>330517157
frankly i think i would have preferred that a lot
>>
I used my brother's for XCOM 2 just to test it. It feels like shit at first, but you get used to it and it works pretty well. Only as a keyboard and mouse replacement, however. I still say a standard controller is better for action and platforming games. And obviously the Steam controller ain't gonna cut it for a lot of FPS games. If you want to play strategy and management games on the couch, it's not bad at that.
>>
Its good.
>>
I was hoping for a controller I thought would be fun to make games for.. nope.
>>
>>330517157
If it was a cross d-pad it would have been basically perfect. At the same time though I do find myself using the analog stick more than I thought I would, but I probably would have just wound up using the d-pad at those times.
>>
File: 1449566643849.jpg (104 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1449566643849.jpg
104 KB, 960x720
>>330510874

It's ok unless you have big hands like me
>>
Used it for Dragon's Dogma, was pleasantly surprised. It takes a few days to get used to, but it's worth it.
>>
>>330510874

It's shit.

> Big Picture Mode REQUIRED to even configure shit for you to use in DESKTOP mode
> Controller isn't configured for older games that don't have controller support because the community is retarded and working on shit that works just fucking FINE with a 360 controller
>>
File: faggot.png (109 KB, 597x696) Image search: [Google]
faggot.png
109 KB, 597x696
>>330518469
>big hands like me
>>
>>330510874
It's shit. Anyone making excuses for it does it out of buyer's remorse. I'm rich as fuck so I don't care, the controller is ass.
>>
>>330514080
>SC is amazing for emulation
Shut the fuck up, retard. It doesn't even have a goddamn d-pad, you ugly cunt.
>>
>>330510874
Loving it. I bought one for myself and one for my wife's son, we play team fortress all the time.
>>
>>330518906
I'm not ugly but okay
>>
>>330518906

You can emulate the D-pad, which isn't bad on the left pad outside of the fuck huge pad size. If you dial that down, you can do arcade stick like functions pretty easy with just your thumb.
>>
>>330517334
Thumbsticks are a blight upon gaming.

Fuck all the retards who couldn't deal with a controller that doesn't have them.
>>
>>330519136
You can emulate the d-pad with the thumbstick, which is better than the circular pads but still not even remotely as good. I don't mind the controller in general, but it severely lacks a d-pad for fightan games.
>>
It's a decent pair of MIDI speakers. The controller in nice too. I don't know what people are talking about with a 'steep learning curve', since it only took a couple hours to get used to it.
>>
>>330519245
They work much better than this clicky crap, you donut.
>>
File: welp.jpg (692 KB, 1698x1131) Image search: [Google]
welp.jpg
692 KB, 1698x1131
I like it.
>>
File: 1374966826060.png (269 KB, 354x336) Image search: [Google]
1374966826060.png
269 KB, 354x336
>>330518469
>That thumb
>>
>>330519359
couple hours for a controller is pretty steep my peep
>>
>>330510874
It's great for FPS games, mouse and keyboard exclusives, Wii emulation, and old PC RPGs. Has atrocious driver support because Valve's a garbage-tier developer. If you can get past that and give it a bit of adjustment time it's pretty aight.
>>
How good is a ps4 controller for pc
>>
>>330510874
Feels clunky and awkward to use. Xbone controller is still top dog.
>>
>>330519245
yeah agreed. growing up mouse-keyboard and then having to get used to thumbsticks to play games with friends and crap was terrible.
even now i still fukcing hate using them but i put up with it for games that require them to be playable
>>
>>330518506
>Big Picture Mode REQUIRED to even configure shit for you to use in DESKTOP mode
It was for months, I will grant you that. They recently added a config tool for it in desktop mode though.
>>
>>330519670
Of the playstation controllers and xbox controllers, the xbox controller is better for pc due to the communication protocol it uses.
>>
>>330519670
hope you like that 8 hour battery life and messy driver support

Aside from that the trackpad as a mouse thing is pretty neat, makes getting some shit set up a bit easier.
>>
It's a bad compromise between M/KB and a traditional controller. Just use a M/KB if you're playing a game designed for one, and a controller for other games.
>>
>>330520049
I know. I have a 360 controller but wireless. Friend has xbone controller but somefuckinghow lost the battery pack. That was the one I wanted. He lent me his extra ps4 controller instead. Didn't work that well on Neptunia and barely functioned on OG Tomb Raider. I think I need to download DS4 though.
>>
>>330520132
8 hours is more than enough. I can just plug in the usb anyway. Would it be too much of a pain to be able to use it on old games and emulators?
>>
>>330519670
Anything but a wired 360 controller is potentially a fucking nightmare to get working.
>>
>>330520048

Which still boots up the Big Picture Mode function in a way. You can't load configs with your keyboard and mouse, plugin the Controller and then have those configs be uploaded to it.

And you still can't use it without Steam being installed. The "lizard" mode should be the default driver installer for those that want to use it as a Home Theater PC function, but you can't without Steam.
>>
>>330520809
???

> Plug in Steam controller with Steam installed->Drivers install->Play
> Plugin DS3/4, use XInputWrapper to config them->Play
>>
>>330520826
It really needs drivers that work without Steam, but I'm not sure how likely that is to happen, either from Valve or the community.
>>
Absolute garbage. Valvedrones would play with a used shitted up dildo if they could as long as it's made by valve. Hell, they probably do.
>>
>>330510874
i dont understand other controllers anymore after using it.
>>
>>330517157
They should have just fucking released both versions for those with different preferences.
>>
I've had more control taking a shit -- while I was drunk -- in a bush -- at night
>>
>>330521378
>used shitted up dildo

It would probably be a dragon dildo.
>>
>>330517087
Yeah, the only reason I can see to get one is for when you want to play games that require a KB+M on a TV. Besides that, seems unnecessary.
>>
>>330522676
That was the intent of it.

It's super comfortable and great when you use it in place of a wireless keyboard/mouse for a PC hooked up to a TV.
>>
Veredict: /v/ hates change
>>
>>330522767
Yeah, so I guess that's why they released that with the Steam Link.
Speaking of, is that any good?
>>
File: 1.png (181 KB, 508x512) Image search: [Google]
1.png
181 KB, 508x512
Button pressure is so obnxious. I found myself struggling to press the ABXY buttons.

Gamepads haptic feedback was extremely poor. It was very inaccurate.

Gamepads were extremely accurate.

It felt bad to hold.
>>
>>330517157
Was that hard putting a Dpad on that shit?
>>
It's pretty fantastic. Note, it is different than a standard controller so you will need to configure it and take time to get used to it. The largest issue is getting used to the touchpad, especially as a right stick substitute for controller type games. The other issue is that if you're used to x360 / X one controller , the Steam controller buttons are a bit smaller , closer together and located in an unusual area. You can get used to it, but I think Valve could have done better by swapping the right pad and button locations. It does have some excellent features that goes beyond other offerings.

Overall, it's worthwhile and I think people should give it time and get used to it rather than making snap judgment.
>>
>>330523809

>Overall, it's worthwhile and I think people should give it time and get used to it rather than making snap judgment.

/v/ would rather stop being NEET instead
>>
>>330510874
The best controller I've ever used for games, period.

Configuring it is a pain in the ass, and requiring it to be configured through big picture mode is fucking lame. I wish I could use a configuration program outside of the games and let it identify what .exe is running, and change configuration based on that. So if I'm running FFXIV, change it so that the right pad is a joystick UNLESS i'm holding the left back paddle, then it's a mouse cursor, which is how i have it now, except i don't want to launch the game through big picture.

I love the fuck out of the controller though. It's phenomenal.
>>
>>330510874
Maybe if there was some way I could use it without dumping money on it I'd have an opinion. Have a booth for it at game stop or SOMETHING.
>>
Wait for the 2nd gen.
>>
>>330524023
>Configuring it is a pain in the ass
and this kills it

if its not easy to use people will not do it

i hope valve takes care of this, make it more straight foward

>dreaming
>>
>>330510874
No verdict yet. Getting used to mine
>>
>>330518689
are you this new?
>>
File: 1452495168863.jpg (61 KB, 381x604) Image search: [Google]
1452495168863.jpg
61 KB, 381x604
Great for xcom 2 so far, got it on the 40% off deal. It takes some getting used to and an open mind which is probably the catalyst for most of the hate.
>>
I really enjoyed using it on Batman Arkham Knight. It was fun to swing around the tank head with the ball motion of the trackpad.
>>
>people buying it and using it as a typical controller replacement

It's not fucking for that, morans. It's a secondary controller for games that don't work with normal controllers.

Honestly I've only really used it for playing civ 5 on my tv from bed, but the fact that I can do that is goddamn amazing. I've got at least 100hrs doing so.
>>
>>330526139
>if its not easy to use people will not do it
you mean normies.

Reee, etc.

I'm not fussed with having to configure something if it results in a superior experience, and many people are the same.
>>
File: 1386739237429.gif (178 KB, 500x411) Image search: [Google]
1386739237429.gif
178 KB, 500x411
>>330510874
is anyone else worried the vive will be shit because this controller is shit?
>>
>>330528541

Just use another controller...?
>>
>>330510874
works ok in single player baby games, will never be as good as analog sticks, and nowhere close to mouse controls
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.