[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can we talk about this fucking game for a second? i just love
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: zelda-overworld(map).png (157 KB, 4096x1408) Image search: [Google]
zelda-overworld(map).png
157 KB, 4096x1408
can we talk about this fucking game for a second?

i just love this game from the enemies to the graphics to the artstyle to the map and secrets and shit, i really enjoy it. when was the first time you played it?
>>
>>330498808
I played it and never finished it many times as a kid. I finally decided to finish it properly, racing with my brother and it was a really average ride. A mixture of enjoyment and incredibly dull grinding for health because of a lack of skill.
>>
Back in 1989. It was one of the first things to help me learn how to read better. I'd pour over the manual with those beautiful illustrations, explore this massive world for rupees and items, and then get hyped for Friday for Zelda cartoon.
>>
i played it in my late adolescence on an emulator. i was unimpressed. the biggest issue to me was how repetitive the dungeons were design wise, though that's obviously due to the limits of the nes system.

the best aspect of the game is uncovering secrets, and combat versus darknuts. otherwise i don't think it's too good. it seems to be a 'you had to be there' game, and i just wasn't out of the womb in time.
>>
Never had an NES as a kid, but fortunately I got it on GBA and loved it.
>>
>>330498808
this game is what zelda is about and should have been about in the later games. hopefully NX returns whats due.

http://tevisthompson.com/saving-zelda/
>>
>>330500443
>Pro Wind Waker
Dropped.
>>
>>330498808
Why did every subsequent Zelda fail to recapture that sense of discovery and exploration? Not to mention how dangerous the dungeons felt.
>>
>>330501808
Zelda 2 tried something different, with its RPG aspects and grander sense of scale, but when there's actual interviews with Miyamoto that go so far back as LttP that say ultimately it's because you gotta appeal to casuals.
>>
When I was a kid I lost the map and drew my own. In the end it was better than the official map because it had everything mapped out, not just part of it. I did find the map again, and it was cool to see that my map was so similar to it.
It really sucks that Nintendo hasn't really revisited the concept again. It was so cool how you could do the dungeons out of order, and the order actually mattered because you would find cool shit in the dungeons. There's also tons of stuff on the overworld, you can grind up and become a god without entering any dungeons.
The gameplay was great, you don't get an OP sword with a huge swing radius, you just get a shitty little stab. The enemies are actually hard, especially Wizzrobes. The controls are ass though, basically locking you to invisible grid lines.
Great game, modern Nintendo would never release a game like this.
>>
I played it as a little kid in the early 90s. Don't remember when, but I remember liking it enough that I wanted to play it at my uncle's whenever I was able to, even if I didn't know how save files worked and basically started fresh every time. He kinda stopped letting me play at some point though, maybe because of the "Hold Reset while turning off" thing I never did. (Cut me slack I was like 4.)

Funny enough, I never even knew the game's name and then went on to love Ocarina of Time when my family got an N64. Discovering the first game again was a pleasant surprise.
>>
can someone explain to me how were you supposed to find those hidden paths?
>>
File: confus.png (74 KB, 300x256) Image search: [Google]
confus.png
74 KB, 300x256
>>330501464

>mentioned a good game
>not gonna read it
>judging book by cover

What did he praise about WW that you hated enough to stop reading?
>>
>>330504447
What do you mean? The "take any road you want" stairs? Or just bombable walls and burnable bushes in general?
It's probably in the instruction manual.
>>
I love this game, is there some romhack that randomizes all the hidden object locations? I'd love that, it would be almost like a whole new adventure, especially if it randomized dungeons too.
>>
>>330504447
it was meant to be combed over thoroughly by legions of young kids with nothing better to do, who would then share notes at school.

The magic is largely lost nowadays as the internet will spoil any pleasure of surprise that the game could have.

The last time a game genuinely surprised me was Smash 4, and that's only because I dodged the internet for 6 weeks or so. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I don't regret anything. Just wish it wasn't so hard to do now.
>>
>>330504676
Here you go:
https://sites.google.com/site/zeldarandomizer/
It has tons of options, and the game is always possible to complete.
>>
Fuck Wizzrobes seriously
>>
>>330504447
WITH THE POWER. NINTENDO POWER.
>>
>>330498808
Man, I love Hyrule Warriors. So awesome :D
>>
>>330504447

you walk around bombing spots that look suspicious and mark them on your map if there's a cave there.
>>
>>330498808
Fun game.
I never did finish my swordless run.
>>
>>330505016
fuck yeah, this is what I always wanted, only thing better would be if it were co-op so you could team up to map it just like in the old days

Not to be overly positive on /v/ of all places, but I'm feeling pretty optimistic about Zelda 2016 after how good Link Between Worlds was, I hope they do it well and don't fuck up.
>>
yeah, i agree. hyrule warriors adventure mode was seriously underratd.
>>
>>330505016
Holy shit, I know what I'm doing tonight.
>>
>>330507204
A while ago I was watching a speedrun stream where two people were playing with the same randomized ROM. They both knew a lot about the game, and as they found useful items they would tell the other exactly where to find the items.
It's pretty fun to watch, especially because they randomized the starting sword and had to walk all over with no sword. The candle and bow are surprisingly useful when you don't have a sword.
>>
>>330507207
never played HW due to not being a big musou fan, what was adventure mode like?
>>
>>330508018
how do you even get the bow and candle without a sword? or was that part of the randomization?
>>
>>330510173
Part of the randomization, but you can get the bow and candle without the sword in the regular game too.
>find all armos secrets and get rupees
>buy candle
>use it to kill enemies and get bombs
>use candle to kill enemies in dungeons, using bombs for powerful enemies
>get bow and arrows
>start kicking ass
You can almost beat the game without getting the sword, but there's no way to beat Ganon swordless.
>>
File: WiiU_screenshot_TV_017D8.jpg (495 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
WiiU_screenshot_TV_017D8.jpg
495 KB, 1280x720
>>330510091
It uses the map of Zelda 1 as a mission select menu. Certain rewards are only unlocked after you've uncovered the "secret" on the map. For instance, pushing the gravestone where the Magical Sword is, or bombing a wall that would have revealed Money Making game.

Cleverly, there are 9 missions where you fight a regular style battle, get a key to open the doors to the enemy main camp, and then a giant boss monster -- the musou way of "mimicing" a Zelda dungeon.
>>
>>330511357
that's neat

I don't like musou but I appreciate their effort
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.