[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a crash course for this series? What's worth playing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: Star_Ocean_wp01_1280x1024.jpg.jpg (405 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
Star_Ocean_wp01_1280x1024.jpg.jpg
405 KB, 1280x1024
Is there a crash course for this series?

What's worth playing? What's not? What got re-released as what?

I've been told to ignore the last generation game for reasons that nobody has gone in depth for too.
>>
>>330495928
I stopped in SO 3 because that stupid as fuck plot tweest.

I hope 5 is less retarded than 3 or at least less shitty than 4.
>>
It's like Tales of but even more trashy.

>I've been told to ignore the last generation game for reasons that nobody has gone in depth for too.

Because it's probably the worst game ever made
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0
>>
From my personal experience:

Rented SO2 back on the PSX and fucking loved it. I had a habit of never finishing RPGs, and SO2 was one of the few I actually focused on enough to make it all the way through. I recently acquired a copy, and despite being a little rough around the edges, the game is still good.

I was extremely pumped for SO3, but I barely made it past the first part of the game because I kept falling asleep while playing it, despite the fact that the actual combat was pretty neat. It also has a really big dumb twist that wound up retroactively ruining the series for a lot of people.

I have absolutely no experience with SO4, but a lot of the bad things about it are like what >>330496272 linked. Additionally, the main character's name is Edge Maverick.

Honestly, the series has more hits than misses for me, but I still appreciate it and am looking forward to 5. I'm in the process of replaying through 2 and am going to try 3 again.
>>
>>330496903

SO3 is Until The End of Time isn't it?
>>
disregard the snes game

play the PSP version of SO1, play PS1 version of SO2 if you want hilarious voice acting or just stick to the PSP one for generic voice acting, disregard 3 and 4 they are shit, then be cautiously optimistic about 5
>>
I wish they'd put out an updated version of SO2 that had the original art and voice acting. Luckily I still have my ps2 version.
>>
SO1 remake on PSP: Fantastic. Can be a bit difficult at the beginning thanks to not having a healer. The voice acting is well done, the private actions are interesting, and the characters themselves have good chemistry. Overall the story is pretty generic, but moves along pretty well.

SO2: Great. It even has replayability since you can play through the game as either a male or female and there are several times where the story branches off.

SO3: Played through it all. The plot-twist wasn't what ruined it for me; it was the lack of personality present in the characters. You don't really care to unlock more private actions because the characters are bland and while you shouldn't expect too much 'depth' from any characters in the series, you can at least expect to get a smirk out of the private actions in SO1&2.
>>
>>330498139
I mean ps1 version, but I play it on my ps2.
Anyway, I prefer the original art, and less talking.
>>
>>330495928
Play 1,2 and 3. You can skip 4 if you want. 2 is probably my favorite Jrpgs with one being somewhere in that category as well. Bowman is best doctor
>>
It's extremely mediocre series B tier at best. Star Ocean 3 is complete garbage 4 is even worse.
>>
1 - SNES
2 - PS
3- PS2
4 - PS3, etc
5 - Sony Playstation Four Computer Entertainment System

Soooo 3 sucks? Fuck me. I bought it on the cheap.
>>
Played PSP SO1, PSP/PS1 SO2, SO3, and SO4 on PS4

SO1 and SO2 are great

SO3 is my GOAT, can't get enough of the item creation, post game, and combat
But I know the story and characters aren't the best

Fuck SO4, outside of combat its pure shit
>>
>>330498650

3 is okay. It still has a good item creation system, battle system and a pretty extensive post-game. Just kinda dropped the ball on story and characters. There's lulls in SO1 and 2 as well... not quite as severe, but I wouldn't disregard SO3 entirely.
>>
File: giphy.gif (42 KB, 500x247) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
42 KB, 500x247
All these plebs hating on SO3 because it had a tweest that was at least unexpected. If it ruined the game for you then you should leave this thread, take the edge off by ejaculating, then return with a fresh mead. Fuck you weebs. You have no taste.
>>
SO2>SO1>SO4 if your are an item creation autist>SO3>SO4 if you aren't
>>
>>330499243

It's not that it ruined SO3, it also ruined SO1 and 2 retroactively.
>>
>>330499243

the twist was actually the very least of the game's problems. the story overall was lackluster from the very beginning of the game, and combat is sleep inducing
>>
>>330495928

Putting aside all the faggotmemes on /v/, there's only one real rule. Never play dubbed unless you have no choice. English SO voice acting is and has always been among the worst in the industry, if not hands-down the worst.

So undubs for the older ones, pick the dual-audio release for 4(think that's just the ps3 version.) If your ears aren't made of tin, you'll be happier.
>>
>>330500863
You clearly never played Chaos Wars
>>
>>330501095

There's tons of games with horrible VAing, especially PS1 era. Evil Zone was another especially chalkboardy grating one, though most fighting games were disasters in english back then.

SO though, for some reason it's yet to occur to them to try to improve anything. I'm pretty skeptical 5 will even be tolerable in the end.
>>
>>330498948
>It still has a good broken item creation system
fixed
you can put 9999999999999 atack weapon in the middle of the game so easy
>>
>>330502162
That's what made it amazing
You aren't given hints how to break the game but are given all the tools to break it

Finding out a pair of boots that at first glance only having a +5% atk/def modifier suddenly has the most potential to break the game has to make anyone feel great
>>
>>330500334

You say that as though SO1 and SO2 had plots to ruin in the first place.
>>
>>330497690
It isn't bad, but the PSP version is better.
>>
>>330502162
While it is kinda time consuming SO2 you can get you the second best in slot weapon for the main character by like the third town.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.