[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was this game like in it's prime? Are there any good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: daoc.jpg (25 KB, 270x348) Image search: [Google]
daoc.jpg
25 KB, 270x348
What was this game like in it's prime?

Are there any good private servers?
>>
>>330468789
Good.
No. There are no good private servers for any MMO and there never have been, unless your idea of good is "scraping at anything you can get, desperately trying in vain to reclaim a scrap of that feeling you remember, but you never will".
>>
>>330469005
I just want to try it to see what it was like, but with a decent population because I heard it was very pvp heavy
>>
>>330468789
It was glorious. This is my personal ">you will never experience this from scratch again" game.
It wouldn't really stand the time today though, it's a much slower pace game than modern MMOs. It's a complete different style, both in gameplay and in the way the population acts.
>>330469005
Actually, I played live servers up to just before the Trials expansion and then a few years later played on Uthgard, which was a classic private server, and it was pretty much spot on.
>>
>>330470025
Would you say it's worth playing?

Uthgard that is, I'd rather not give EA money
>>
>>330470198
I don't think the server is open to the public anymore. I read on their site that they shut it down because they were unhappy with how it was working, and wanted to just develop it before opening it again, but it doesn't look like they're really making any progress.
I wouldn't recommend it regardless, unless you really want to play an old hotkey-based MMO with very few quests and a PvE heavily reliant on group nomadic grinding.
If you're really interested in it, this is the server browser: http://www.dolserver.net/daocportal/
I see that there is another classic server, which includes SI as well (which was the first expansion, and pretty neat overall), but I have no idea if it's good or not.
>>
>>330470820
I enjoy the older style MMO's because I liked talking to people, modern MMO's forgot that's kind of why you put up with a lot more shit than you would in singleplayer games.

How soon could you start pvping though?
>>
>>330471071
The first battleground is for levels 15-20, I think, then there are several more at 5 level intervals.
Battlegrounds are mini-PvP regions where the three factions fight over a central keep, whereas normal PvP regions are generally bigger and contain 4 keeps each, and are all connected.
Well, technically back in my day we had no battlegrounds, those were implemented after a while: everybody just jumped in the frontier regardless of level. Cannon fodder, and all that.
>I enjoy the older style MMO's because I liked talking to people
Yeah, there was a lot of talking in DAoC.
>>
>>330471734
http://daoc-genesis.net/join

What do you think of this one?
And could a lowbie pvp a max level and not get his shit kicked in?
>>
File: wAuKOgg.jpg (382 KB, 960x1200) Image search: [Google]
wAuKOgg.jpg
382 KB, 960x1200
>>330469005
Uthgard was great for classic, but they closed it down a year or two ago. They were supposed to be reopening, but I never got to see.

http://www.uthgard.net/

Classic DAOC is good, and SI was generally considered the best. I personally loved TOA, and that was my favorite with all the casting speed bonuses and artifacts. Catacombs was really cool from a story/engine standpoint, but things like vampires/warlocks kind've ruined it.

Every expac afterwards was just bs, and served almost no real purpose. From champion weapons to maulers. The classes have all been homogenized in the name of balance, so it's not anything like it used to be. I'd probably still play if it was ftp, though.
>>
>>330471071
the main problem with mmos today, minus the awful combat present in all of them, is that everything social is automated, you have zero reason to interact with anyone but your close friends since all you need to do is click a button to queue and play through content without ever saying a word. auction houses removes the bartering, online resources and data miners remove all sense of discovery and accomplishment. There really isn't any point in playing them anymore
>>
>>330468789
You may wanna look into this, too.

http://camelotunchained.com/v3/

Mark Jacobs is the original guy that worked with Mythic to create daoc. This was way before EA bought it from them.
>>
>>330472640
>http://camelotunchained.com/v3/
I'm hyped for this but it's still too early for me to get invested in.

I'd love to see how it is when it comes out though
>>
>>330472546
This is true as far as FPS games are concerned too, with the difference between modern matchmaking and the serverlists of old. I started a lot of friendships just by being a regular on a pub server.
>>
>>330473361
Talking in games is gone, really.
It's a shame, you won't make new friends if you can't talk to them
>>
>>330471967
p-pls respond anyone
>>
>>330474632
Whoops, sorry, missed that post. That's the one that I pointed as "another classic server". I can't say much about it, I've never played on it. From its description and the fact that they seem able to maintain a decent population (500 is about 1/3-1/4 of what was on my live server, if they play it smart with the sizes of PvP areas like Uthgard did it can work) it should be good.
Understand that there is only one emulator software, this isn't like WoW where there are several being developed in parallel, and it works well. Of course servers will make changes to it but the groundwork is the same for all of them.
>>
>>330475113
Which faction should I play?
I know nothing of this game and I'd like to give it a go.

What are the differences if there are any
>>
>>330475349
They all have differences. Midgard is Norse mythology, Albion is France and Britain, Hibernia is elfland with Celts. DAoC plays with the classes in a way that they all have the standard archetypes, but mixed into different combinations. For instance, the two healer classes in Midgard are Healer and Shaman. Healers are also excellent at crowd control, while Shamans are less about stright up healing and more about buffs and DoTs. If you go to Albion you'll find that the two healing classes are Cleric and Priest, however neither have meaningful crowd control, and Priest is actually a staff monk type of character, who focuses on melee.
You either need to read a guide about the classes if you want to make a very informed choice, or go through the options in the character creations and pick something that inspires you, that's how we used to do pick our first character after all. And speaking of first character, skill respecs aren't free (unless server-specific options apply), so don't go wasting points when leveling up, a couple of mistakes can make your character outright useless. Essentially, pick a path and follow it, then put the left over points in the secondary path, and don't stray.
If you want to know some classes based on archetypes you enjoy playing you can ask me, but I'm just an expert on Midgard classes, I never played much in the other two realms.
>>
>>330476379
Want to give me a quick sum up of all the classes?
If not I'll just google it but I think you'd be able to give me more insightful responses than things I could google
>>
>>330477478
There are about 30-40 classes, so no, that's not gonna happen, sorry. I can't really say I remember most of them anyway, I'd just give you an incomplete picture.
The official site has decent descriptions about the playstyles, but keep in mind that not all of these will be in the classic server. http://darkageofcamelot.com/content/classes-races
>>
>>330468789
It was awesome for its time. The only problem was it's time was pretty shitty. Leveling took forever and was even more boring than today's "Bring me 15 boar hooves" style and some things were just kind of stupid and clunky.

10+s stuns, minute+ duration CCs, ridiculous looking /follow trains and then there was this chat window drag bug that would lag your client and make your character warp all around.

It had awesome classes though, being one of the first MMOs that had a really fun ability list for all it's classes. Great setting and very few games have a comparable open world faction PvP still.
>>
>>330478012
Oh wew, thanks anon.

Any other tips? I know leveling in groups is apparently even better in the server than it was in live from what I hear.
>>
>>330478717
Try to find a skilled crafter to make you some 97%+ quality equipment as soon as you have the funds. Most drops will only have 89% quality and vendor weapons are all 85%, and that's a hard percentage applied directly to the efficiency of your equipment, so that difference has a huge impact.
Remeber to /sit to recover more quickly.
I don't know if this is still true, but there was a mechanic that made recovering faster when your stat was already above 50%, so if you're forced to solo it's generally more efficient to take breaks often instead of pushing yourself to the limit.
>>
>>330468789
It was basically a precursor to WoW. In the early years of WoW a lot of people compared it to Dark Age of Camelot. WoW probably would have been a lot different without the existence of this game.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.